Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:59:11 PM
714418 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  DAY OF THE DEAD (2008) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: DAY OF THE DEAD (2008)  (Read 2548 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« on: June 30, 2008, 12:43:44 AM »

After enjoying the remake of DAWN OF THE DEAD and the new Romero film, DIARY OF THE DEAD, I was pretty stoked about this remake of the 1985 zombie film.  I checked it out tonight and must say I was pretty disappointed.  There were some fairly solid performances, and Mena Suvari looks really cute in Army fatigues (and she stays IN them the whole time, sadly), but the movie just didn't work for me.

For one thing, the slow, shuffling Romero zombies we all know and love have been replaced by fast, vicious Rage-virus style zombies who can crawl on walls and ceilings and jump great distances.  They still go down with a head shot and are also highly flammable, but the attempt to fill in all the back-story stuff and give a REASON for the zombie outbreak kills the enjoyment of the movie.  One of the selling points of the early Dead Films was that the people in the movie never really knew what animated the zombies.  The sheer terror of NOT knowing was what made DIARY OF THE DEAD, as well as the early films, work so well.

Also, the endless CGI headshots and decapitations wear on the nerves after awhile.  Makes you miss the big zombie with the really tall head walking into the chopper blades in the original DAWN OF THE DEAD.  Anyone could see how that special effect was done, but it was still cool to watch.

Anyway, too bad this one didn't turn out better.  Oh well, there's always ZOMBIES ANONYMOUS which I haven't seen yet.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
zombie no.one
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Oookaay...

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 12:55:07 AM »

yeah, I hear what you're saying.

next up should be FRANCHISE OF THE DEAD, starring all the producers/directors/crew throughout all the endless sequels...then at least it could end on a high note  Smile

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Sister Grace

I found my mind in a brown paper bag...

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 06:19:33 AM »

This movie was aweful, I thought it would have been better but then again it starts out with Nick Cannon in the credits....

Society, exactly as it now exists is the ultimate expression of sadomasochism in action.<br />-boyd rice-<br />On the screen, there\\\'s a death and the rustle of cloth; and a sickly voice calling me handsome...<br />-Nick Cave-
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 08:34:42 AM »

A few people were upset because they saw Ving Rhames in the credits and thought it would've been a continuation of the remade Dawn, but turns out it's just a different character for a glorified cameo appearance.

Mena Suvari did give a good performance, despite the flaws with the script.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
wtffilm
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 11:55:05 AM »

After watching, I thought this one to be this generation's NIGHTMARE CITY [1980] or ZOMBI 3 [1988].  It's truly awful from almost all perspectives, but I can't deny the inane entertainment value offered by 'zombies' that leap tall buildings in a single bound, scramble across the ceiling, or dodge bullets.

And the explanation for the bullet dodging?  "That one's smarter than the others."  Pure idiocy, but fun just the same.

Kindest regards,

Kevin P.
http://www.wtf-film.com
Neville

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2008, 04:53:18 PM »

Pretty lousy movie, really. I expected a verbatim remake of the Romero film, but looks all they wanted is the name to cash in as much as they could. And if the script was bad (can't believe they used that idea of the vegan zombie), just add Steve Miner to the mix.

Alright, so the guy has been helming horror movies since the 80s, but this doesn't mean he knows how to do his job. I mean, what's his best movie, "Lake placid"?

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
the master
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2008, 05:57:27 PM »

yeah, I hear what you're saying.

next up should be FRANCHISE OF THE DEAD, starring all the producers/directors/crew throughout all the endless sequels...then at least it could end on a high note  Smile
that would be funny
to see romero savini italian guy and rusco sp? all trying to survive in a abandoned movie studio
odinn7

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2008, 09:18:30 PM »

I rented this one yesterday...it was horrible. I was quite annoyed at the whole thing and the dialog simply p**sed me off.

They already know they're being followed by zombies in one scene in the woods....they hear noises....one guy says, "What was that?".....Uh....I'll give you one f**king guess.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
Sister Grace

I found my mind in a brown paper bag...

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2008, 09:25:07 PM »

I rented this one yesterday...it was horrible. I was quite annoyed at the whole thing and the dialog simply p**sed me off.

They already know they're being followed by zombies in one scene in the woods....they hear noises....one guy says, "What was that?".....Uh....I'll give you one f**king guess.

Alot of the newer zombie movies just pi&* me off. Usually the main characters are so dumb that you can almost believe that the zombies have an unfair advantage intelluctually...

Society, exactly as it now exists is the ultimate expression of sadomasochism in action.<br />-boyd rice-<br />On the screen, there\\\'s a death and the rustle of cloth; and a sickly voice calling me handsome...<br />-Nick Cave-
TexasCharlie
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2008, 09:35:31 PM »

Pretty lousy movie, really. I expected a verbatim remake of the Romero film, but looks all they wanted is the name to cash in as much as they could. And if the script was bad (can't believe they used that idea of the vegan zombie), just add Steve Miner to the mix.

Are you serious?  That might be a deal breaker for me.
Doc Daneeka
The Game is Finished?

It's neVer over!

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2008, 10:06:47 PM »

Alright, so the guy has been helming horror movies since the 80s, but this doesn't mean he knows how to do his job. I mean, what's his best movie, "Lake placid"?
According to the IMDB his official best movie is "Wild Hearts can't be Broken" with his best horror flick being "Warlock", personally I think it's "House" Smile .

And what would have happened if life was fair, would be if one of Romero's true scores of fans among the horror industry employed the currently bit-part playing Tom Savini, along with other good old actors playing bit parts now because nu-Hollywood only wants beautiful young people, with a modern budget to help put George's original apocalyptic script to screen :P

https://www.youtube.com/user/silverspherechannel
For the latest on the fifth installment in Don Coscarelli's Phantasm saga.
ToyMan
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2008, 01:57:40 AM »

After watching, I thought this one to be this generation's NIGHTMARE CITY...

you didn't like nightmare city?! man, actors with steaks tied to their faces make awesome atomic zombies, in my book.

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  DAY OF THE DEAD (2008) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.