Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 11:33:32 PM
712920 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Targeted at a Younger Audience, but Not Really for Them « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Targeted at a Younger Audience, but Not Really for Them  (Read 5127 times)
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Let's all be Friends.

« on: March 26, 2010, 09:21:18 PM »

Sometimes I have seen tons of movies out there that seem to be targeted at the little kiddies and I realize that the movie isn't actually for them.  Example, I saw Happy Meal toys made for The Dark Knight when reallys that movie is so not for kids at all.

So, how many movies can you think of seem to look or act like they are targeted towards a younger audience, but in reality, it is all a lie.

Big example would probably be Watership Down or the animated version of Wonder Woman.  To comment on the second movie, most kids or parents (Who are getting the movie for the kids) coming into that movie maybe coming in because they saw the animated Justice League and thought it would be like that, with just focusing on Wonder Woman.  I bet you they didn't expect people being stabbed, beheaded, sacrificed, and a lot of adult jokes!

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Pilgermann

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 10:40:34 PM »

There've been Alien, Predator, Terminator 2, and Robocop toys.  The Robocop line was actually based on the cartoon series, I think, but still...oh, and I think it's hilarious that there was a Toxic Avenger cartoon (name was changed to Toxic Crusaders) and toys to go with it.  I watched it and I had a figure or two, buy my God, the source material is so beyond anything a kid should watch!   Smile

Jim H

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 01:11:03 AM »

There've been Alien, Predator, Terminator 2, and Robocop toys.  The Robocop line was actually based on the cartoon series, I think, but still...oh, and I think it's hilarious that there was a Toxic Avenger cartoon (name was changed to Toxic Crusaders) and toys to go with it.  I watched it and I had a figure or two, buy my God, the source material is so beyond anything a kid should watch!   Smile

Yeah, Aliens is a film all the kids my age (born in the late 70s to early 80s) grew up with and loved.  The Kenner toys actually came out in the 90s, quite a while after the movie had lived on video.  I have tons of them, almost all of them.  They're in a box in the basement. 

I also remember seeing Terminator 2 when I was about 8 years old, and really liking it.  I also Terminator around the same time.  And yeah, lots of toys.  Still have several of them - cool toys, actually. 

It's funny, they seem to have shied away from this.  For the life of me, I can't think of any recent R-rated film that's gotten little kid toys to go along with it.  Can anyone think of one?
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010, 01:22:31 AM »

I am a child of the '80s. The main reason for that is because I was child during the '80s.

Robocop courted a lot of controversy when it came out, because it was so very, very violent. Clearly not a movie for children. But do you know what movie I wanted to see when I was a kid? Robocop. Oh there were plenty of kid options available at that time, and I watched them all. But you know what else I watched? Robocop. And Predator. And Terminator. I watched them all.

Why am I here on a message board dedicated to b-movies? Because I watched all those movies people are concerned their children shouldn't watch.

Get to know your kids. If they can't appreciate Robocop, well, I don't think you've raised them right.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Sleepyskull

Well,well,well...

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2010, 08:10:18 AM »

I think that people should be careful about what their kids watch.

With that being said however, I can't stand it when people become angry at movies for supposedly screwing up their kids.  It seems to me that if a child is heavily influenced by a movie into starting a crime spree, instigating fights, or somethings else, that child has preexisting problems and/or the parents should be monitoring what the kids watch.

I do realize that kids will find ways to watch stuff their parents are against but I still think what I just stated is true.

Humanity takes itself too seriously. It is the world`s original sin. - Oscar Wilde
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2010, 08:15:44 AM »

I always thought that ACE VENTURA was a very sleazy, sex-filled movie that was deliberately targeted at kids.  How the heck it got a PG-13 ratiing is beyond me.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Sleepyskull

Well,well,well...

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2010, 08:42:11 AM »

I always thought that ACE VENTURA was a very sleazy, sex-filled movie that was deliberately targeted at kids.  How the heck it got a PG-13 ratiing is beyond me.

It also had a second sequel made for kids!

Humanity takes itself too seriously. It is the world`s original sin. - Oscar Wilde
Monster Jungle X-Ray
Bad Movie Lover

Just Another Pretty Face

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2010, 10:03:42 AM »

Most recently LAND OF THE LOST. I've never seen something so pushed on kids (well maybe CONGO) by fast food companies, and be wholly inappropriate. I mean one of the lines in the film is something like ' it's like being raped by a zombie d*ck'. I am glad this tanked at the box office, but yet my neighbors bought it for their 3 boys the oldest of which is 7  Question

I remember the commercials for the original Kenner ALIEN doll, and it scared the bejesus out of me as a kid, not to mention actually seeing whole end-caps of the toy at K-Marts, and Lionel Playworld. Those skyrocketed in value pretty quick because I also saw one at a convention in 1986 for $200.
Small | Large

" Society doesn't accept us because of what we are, so we're an enemy of society. " - Pa Mooney, THE RATS ARE COMING! THE WEREWOLVES ARE HERE!
Bmeansgood
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2010, 08:02:07 PM »

Most recently LAND OF THE LOST. I've never seen something so pushed on kids (well maybe CONGO) by fast food companies, and be wholly inappropriate. I mean one of the lines in the film is something like ' it's like being raped by a zombie d*ck'. I am glad this tanked at the box office, but yet my neighbors bought it for their 3 boys the oldest of which is 7  Question

I remember the commercials for the original Kenner ALIEN doll, and it scared the bejesus out of me as a kid, not to mention actually seeing whole end-caps of the toy at K-Marts, and Lionel Playworld. Those skyrocketed in value pretty quick because I also saw one at a convention in 1986 for $200.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKSv85mJEmY

Awesome find on that commercial.  I still remember looking at in the store and wanting to get.  I was about 6 years old at the time, so I had no idea what it came from, but it looked cool.  Not suprisingly, my parents wouldn't buy it for me.

Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2010, 06:52:51 PM »

It's funny, they seem to have shied away from this.  For the life of me, I can't think of any recent R-rated film that's gotten little kid toys to go along with it.  Can anyone think of one?
Nightmare On Elm Street spawned a talking Freddy doll during the 80s.  I think Toys R Us pulled it after a few weeks.

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2010, 01:42:59 AM »

Big example would probably be Watership Down

That is a film that is definitely not for the younglings ~ I was eleven when I saw it and it gave me nightmares for weeks.  Buggedout The obvious one here for me is Jamie Uys' Dirkie aka Lost In The Desert ~ supposedly made for his younger fans, Jamie ended up scaring most of them out of their wits with this film.  Buggedout

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2010, 09:19:48 AM »

The 5,000 Fingers of Dr T (1953)

O
M
G

I have a cold: the meds I took wore off in the night and I awoke coughing, so I headed downstairs to re-dose myself.  I sat down to watch some TV as I waited for the medicine to kick in.  Caught the last 30 minutes of this one - just as the 'Dungeon Song' began.  Good lord!!!  I did not know if I was sleep-deprived or the meds were making me trip out!!! I sat mesmerized in stunned disbelief.  THIS was from 1953???

When I tuned in the protagonists are in a rusty elevator operated by an executioner (bucket-shaped knit cap with eye slits, stripy stretch pants, oiled torso and bass voice) who sings out the features of the dungeons as they descend - like the elevator operators of old, enumerating the wares of the department store floors as they approach:

FIRST FLOOR DUNGEON
Assorted simple tortures.
Molten lead, chopping blocks
And hot boiling oil.

SECOND FLOOR DUNGEON
Jewelry department.
Leg chains, ankle chains,
Neck chains, wrist chains, thumb screws
And nooses of the very finest rope.

BASEMENT DUNGEON--
EVERYBODY OUT.

WAAAY off the bizarre-o-meter scale!

It's a colourful, absolutely surreal musical nightmare by Dr Seuss.   Buggedout  I found a lot about it online that confirms my impressions, but I cannot imagine how I have missed this one up until now!  

Hans Conried plays Dr Terwilliker the evil piano teacher.  His "Do-mi-do Duds' song is a cross-dressing paen!  (Sorry Trevor but as soon as he strutted around singing, "I want my undulating undies with the maribou frills"  Buggedout I KNEW I had to post about this movie here!)

Doe-me-doe Duds

Come on and dress me, dress me, dress me, in my finest array!
Cause just in case you haven't heard
Today is doe-me-doe day!

Dress me in my silver garters, dress me in my diamond studs
Cause I'm going doe-me-doe-ing in my doe-me-doe duds!
I want my undulating undies with the maribou frills!
I want my beautiful bolero with the porcupine quills!
I want my purple nylon girdle with the orange blossom buds
Cause I'm going doe-me-doe-ing in my doe-me-doe duds!

Come on and dress me! dress me! dress me!
In my peek-a-boo blouse
With the lovely inner lining made of Chesapeake mouse!
I want my polka-dotted dickie with the crinolin fringe
For I'm going doe-me-doe-ing on a doe-me-doe binge!

I want my lavender spats and in addition to them
I want my honey-colored gosset with the herring bone hem
I want my softest little jacket made of watermelon suede
And my long persimmon placket with the platinum braid
I want my leg of mutton sleeves and in addition to those
I want my cutie chamois booties with the leopard skin bows
I want my pink brocaded bodice with the floofy fuzzy ruffs
And my gorgeous bright blue bloomers
With the monkey feather cuffs
I want my organdy snood and in addition to that
I want my chiffon Mother Hubbard lined with Hudson Bay rat
Dress me up from top to bottom, dress me up from tip to toe
Dress me up in silk and spinach for today is doe-me-doe day!
DOE-ME-DOE DAY!

So come and dress me in the blossoms of a million pink trees!
Come on and dress me up in liverwurst! and camembert cheese!
Come on and dress me up in pretzels, dress me up in bock beer suds! Cause I'm gooooo-ing
--doe-me-dooooooooo-ing--
in my doe-me-doe duds!

THIS is for KIDS???

Oh it was SO 'Willy Wonka-esque'.  (Except the Oompa Loompa's were full-sized and carried what looked like guns in oversized colourful cloth holsters...)  You have no idea!  (Unless you have seen it).

Wow. I am still stunned.  I have GOT TO see the whole thing now!

Had to come back to add: the music was nominated for an Academy Award!!!  This one just gets weirder and weirder!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 09:34:57 AM by Newt » Logged

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2010, 11:25:14 AM »

Just watched Igor (2008) last night. While I did enjoy the movie and I know some kids watch worse, there's many scenes here that will have some adults cringing should they choose this for their kid to watch...it's got death which is mostly treated as a source of humor here, mentions of killing blind orphans, a suicidal lead character in an immortal rabbit who cannot die but wishes to, has making out from several of its main characters, and has a lot of violent battles and confrontations.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Jim H

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2010, 01:13:44 PM »

Nightmare On Elm Street spawned a talking Freddy doll during the 80s.  I think Toys R Us pulled it after a few weeks.

Yeah, I remember stuff in the 80s.  I was talking in the past 10 years or so.  There are some PG-13 movies relatively recently that have a lot of stuff for kids, but I can't think of any R-rated films with massive kid campaigns and toys and stuff, ala Terminator 2, Rambo films, etc.
Kaped-Kaper
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2010, 03:23:55 PM »

Recently, 9.

It wasn't too bad, but there was some stuff that would have f**ked me over as a kid.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Targeted at a Younger Audience, but Not Really for Them « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.