Main Menu

Top 100 Bass Players

Started by Torgo, October 09, 2008, 12:08:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leah

90. Jerry Only (Misfits)

How many Bassist have created a weird hairstyle as in the Devilock?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8SPnl3qcso
yeah no.

Allhallowsday

90. JOE OSBORNE bassist in RICKY NELSON's original hit-making band, though one of the most recorded bassists in the last 50 years, is typically overlooked because RICKY also had the awesome JAMES BURTON as his lead guitarist.  
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQNkg4dOsRk
If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!

Aidan

Umaril The Unfeathered

Going to add Mike Mesaros, formerly of The Smithereens. He came up with the very memorable bass line for Blood And Roses. In fact, he literally made the song with the bass.

And a great big nod to Cliff Burton, as we all know from Metallica.   However, in his pre-Metallica days, he played with a SF Bay Area band called Trauma. 

Here is a clip of an excellent bass solo Cliff does from a Trauma song called We're Going Off.  Anyone doubting the man's ability should think twice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpgRGps-tCw
Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!

Leah

92. Anders Iwers from Tiamat
yeah no.

fede

halfpear

Re: Jack Bruce

That's a picture of Overend Watts from Mott the Hoople that you posted, just in case anyone cares....

FASTCRAIG

So much for multi posts, 3 or 4 guys here are rated several time, Fabkie Bello Kills dave sllefson, iron maiden are over rated and Cliff burtob would be a no body if he was still alive

Frankie Bello, from anthrax kicks bass ass

AndyC

Quote from: FASTCRAIG on February 20, 2011, 07:33:25 AM
So much for multi posts, 3 or 4 guys here are rated several time, Fabkie Bello Kills dave sllefson, iron maiden are over rated and Cliff burtob would be a no body if he was still alive

Funny, whenever I see this thread come up, and the last post is from a name I've never seen before, I always know what to expect. :lookingup:
---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."

Sleepyskull

Quote from: AndyC on February 21, 2011, 01:46:17 AM
Quote from: FASTCRAIG on February 20, 2011, 07:33:25 AM

Funny, whenever I see this thread come up, and the last post is from a name I've never seen before, I always know what to expect. :lookingup:

AndyC - I thought about saying something, but I was sure you would end up doing so... Besides, I think you're summing up people's feelings quite well!  :thumbup:
Humanity takes itself too seriously. It is the world`s original sin. - Oscar Wilde

Umaril The Unfeathered

Anthrax's Frankie Bello DOES kick ass....listen to the opening of Got The Time and his solos thru out the entire song. All done with his fingers too! 

Finger players are truly talented at a level only a few are lucky enough to rise to.
Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!

Psycho Circus

ulthar

Wow, over a year and still not done with a top 100?

95. John Klingberg (Van Morrison's "Moondance")

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius

66Crush

Quote from: John on February 13, 2009, 02:11:17 PM
I disagree with john paul jones an paul mcartney now you people are judging famous bass players lets face it they both play root notes.

i would say jaco, phil, and of course les claypool who copletley chnged bass playing
as phill in the more jaming music scene
jaco with his jazz fusion and harmonics
and les claypool with inventing his own way on how to play bass and he never has lessons

Musicianship is subjective. And to base someones creativity on technical ability alone is not only insulting but just plain stupid! Sometimes a player can say a hell of a lot more with root notes than with advanced knowledge of theory.
John Paul Jones is true talent and plays what is right for the song and more often than not there are brilliant moments in his playing. When he's in the pocket Led Zeppelin becomes a groove machine. You think I wanna hear tapping in Led Zeppelin song. Paul McCartney is a songwriting bassist and so his focus would tend to be more on melody. Both of them create amazing melodies.

66Crush

Phil Lynott-Thin Lizzy

Paul Simonon-The Clash

Greg Chaisson-Badlands

Matt Rubano-Taking Back Sunday

Robert Deleo- Stone Temple Pilots

Doug Pinnick-Kings X