Main Menu

Rockstars keep dying as off recently, and...

Started by Living_Dead_Girl, January 15, 2016, 11:10:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Living_Dead_Girl

Well, that alone is creepy enough. But here is what is really freaky, Wayne Static, Lemmy, David Bowie. All have died within days off their birthday. It is seriously freaking me out. Am I the only one?
Then I did not just look into the mirror, I looked through the mirror...

javakoala

No, you aren't the only one. And it isn't just rock stars who seem to be dying at an accelerated rate. Look at all the film people who have died in the last month.

It's getting so that I don't want to check the news anymore.
I feel more like I do now than I did a while ago.

ulthar

Please be careful and be aware of this thing called "Sampling Bias."

You are responding to a perceived increase in "reporting" of rock star and actor deaths, coupled with the fact that you happen to recognize the names.

These kinds of statistical oddities happen frequently, and people always try to assign meaning to them that are not supported by rigorous data analysis.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius

javakoala

Quote from: ulthar on January 15, 2016, 01:46:27 PM
Please be careful and be aware of this thing called "Sampling Bias."

You are responding to a perceived increase in "reporting" of rock star and actor deaths, coupled with the fact that you happen to recognize the names.

These kinds of statistical oddities happen frequently, and people always try to assign meaning to them that are not supported by rigorous data analysis.

Oh, not assuming it is the work of Oral Roberts striking from beyond the grave. Just the freaky timing of it all. That's why I just keep hoping this will cycle out. Maybe we need a reboot because an app is caught in a loop.

My GOD! We're all just part of a digital nightmare!!!!

Nah, just messing with ya'!   :cheers:
I feel more like I do now than I did a while ago.

Alex

It's sad, but it is just a series of coincidences. It will change soon (I really hope).
I'll show you ruin
I'll show you heartbreak
I'll show you lonely
A sorrow in darkness

indianasmith

100% of all human lives end in death.
And the longer you live, the sooner you are likely to die.
"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"

ulthar

Quote from: indianasmith on January 18, 2016, 10:43:00 AM

Interesting side note to that latter statement:

The longer you live, the more likely you will know or recognize the name of someone reported as having died.

I'd go so far as to say that what is being 'observed' is not even a coincidence.  It's more of an 'artifact.'  Some number of 'famous' people die every day.  Not all are reported equally.  Not all are famous to any one person.

Sampling bias errors lead to all manners of false conclusions.  This is how urban legends and myths get born, sometimes intentionally.  This sort of sensationalism sells papers/generates web clicks for tabloids.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius

Derf

Quote from: ulthar on January 18, 2016, 11:39:57 AM
Quote from: indianasmith on January 18, 2016, 10:43:00 AM

Interesting side note to that latter statement:

The longer you live, the more likely you will know or recognize the name of someone reported as having died.

I'd go so far as to say that what is being 'observed' is not even a coincidence.  It's more of an 'artifact.'  Some number of 'famous' people die every day.  Not all are reported equally.  Not all are famous to any one person.

Sampling bias errors lead to all manners of false conclusions.  This is how urban legends and myths get born, sometimes intentionally.  This sort of sensationalism sells papers/generates web clicks for tabloids.

I think the oddest coincidence about this latest batch is the ages: Bowie and Rickman were both 69, Haggerty was 73, Frey was 67, etc. I know there is no hidden meaning there, but apparently 69 is not a good age to hit if you are a celebrity in 2016.

But we can all be happy that we still have Abe Vigoda, who turns 95 next month. Hurray for statistical anomalies!
"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."

Allhallowsday

Quote from: Derf on January 19, 2016, 08:13:46 AM
But we can all be happy that we still have Abe Vigoda, who turns 95 next month. Hurray for statistical anomalies!
And OLIVIA DE HAVILLAND will turn 100 in July...  :smile:
If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!

Newt

Uh...Derf?  About Abe... :bluesad:  Not your fault, I'm sure.
"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch

Derf

Quote from: Newt on January 30, 2016, 06:45:40 PM

Uh...Derf?  About Abe... :bluesad:  Not your fault, I'm sure.

Sad indeed.  :bluesad:
"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."