Main Menu

Favorite movie genres

Started by RCMerchant, May 28, 2016, 10:48:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trevor

Quote from: Fox Sake on February 12, 2018, 12:03:10 PM
I love political dramas - "The Parallax View", "All the President's Men", "Frost-Nixon", "Three Days of the Condor", "Nixon" etc.

Then there's comedies, sci-fi, dramas and murder mysteries.

Horror, I can just about put up with, but I don't like slasher-type films where women are by and large the victims.

All The President's Men and Three Days of The Condor ran into trouble with the apartheid censors.  :buggedout:
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness.

Fox Sake

Quote from: Trevor on February 13, 2018, 07:03:42 AM
I love political dramas - "The Parallax View", "All the President's Men", "Frost-Nixon", "Three Days of the Condor", "Nixon" etc.

Horror, I can just about put up with, but I don't like slasher-type films where women are by and large the victims.

All The President's Men and Three Days of The Condor ran into trouble with the apartheid censors.  :buggedout:

I never knew that!

But then again I left SA in 2004 at the ripe old age of 11 (with my parents in tow of course), so am not fully versed on what the film censors back home are up to these days. I have heard of the odd bit of heavy handed censorship that may reflect badly on the tyrannical beast in a shirt and tie - President Jacob "I've done nothing wrong" Zuma (whom is currently clinging to power by the thinnest of thin skin of his fingernails)

Alex

Quote from: Fox Sake on February 13, 2018, 07:15:52 AM

I never knew that!

But then again I left SA in 2004 at the ripe old age of 11 (with my parents in tow of course), so am not fully versed on what the film censors back home are up to these days. I have heard of the odd bit of heavy handed censorship that may reflect badly on the tyrannical beast in a shirt and tie - President Jacob "I've done nothing wrong" Zuma (whom is currently clinging to power by the thinnest of thin skin of his fingernails)

From the latest news I am hearing that skin is getting thinner all the time.
Your kisses turn princes into frogs and passion plays into monologues.

Fox Sake

Quote from: Dark Alex on February 13, 2018, 07:25:41 AM

I never knew that!

He might decide to do a runner and go into exile with his family and a few pot-loads of gold and a hefty Swiss Bank Account

Alex

Quote from: Fox Sake on February 13, 2018, 07:30:06 AM
Quote from: Dark Alex on February 13, 2018, 07:25:41 AM

I never knew that!

He might decide to do a runner and go into exile with his family and a few pot-loads of gold and a hefty Swiss Bank Account

If I was in his position at his age I think it's the option I would go for at this point, but some people just can't give up the power. I do have to say though I have no idea how he is as a president, although the impression I get from the news certainly involves a lot of corruption. While I used to keep a close eye on news around the world, since I got married I've focused my attentions more domestically.
Your kisses turn princes into frogs and passion plays into monologues.

ER

In literature/fiction you have what're called non-genre stories. Can you think, though, of non-genre movies? I'm not sure I can, right off.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.

BoyScoutKevin

Quote from: ER on February 13, 2018, 07:51:32 AM
In literature/fiction you have what're called non-genre stories. Can you think, though, of non-genre movies? I'm not sure I can, right off.

That is an interesting question, and I can't think of any right off neither. A film might belong to more than one genera. For example, the upcoming Solo : a Star Wars story is not only a science fiction film, but also--apparently--a western + a heist film, and who knows what else. But, as far as I know, all films belong to some genera, even if more than one.

As for my favorite genera, . . .
From Ty Burr's
The Best Old Movies for Families

horror, science fiction, fantasy
then . . .
action, adventure, western
and from good to wurst
comedies, musicals
and somewhere in between
dramas.

The Burgomaster

I like just about every genre. I have everything from musicals to westerns to sci-fi to cult films in my collection. But the genres at the top of my list are probably:

* Police/crime movies (especially from the 1970s): THE FRENCH CONNECTION, SERPICO, MEAN STREETS, DOG DAY AFTERNOON, THE TAKING OF PELHAM 1 2 3 . . .

* Blaxploitation (some of which also fall under the 1970s police/crime category): SHAFT, BLACULA, BLACKENSTEIN, SUPER FLY . . .
"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."

RCMerchant

Quote from: The Burgomaster on February 17, 2018, 08:45:30 AM

* Blaxploitation (some of which also fall under the 1970s police/crime category): SHAFT, BLACULA, BLACKENSTEIN, SUPER FLY . . .

I love blaxploitation movies! My favorites- The MACK, COFFY, BLACULA, FOXY BROWN-heck-anything with Pam Grier!
Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."
Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant