Main Menu

Ring

Started by FONG_SAI_YUK, March 20, 2001, 08:40:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FONG_SAI_YUK

Has anybody seen this? It's probably the scariest f**king movie i've ever seen. The aura of doom cloys the atmosphere and the whole thing was so damn creepy.

Scott

What year was it made Fong? Is it a current release at Blockbusters?

FONG_SAI_YUK

It was made in 1998, i think. It's a Japanese movie with english subtitles, it's just been released in the UK this week.

Doggett

Easily one of the scariest horrors ever.

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.

akiratubo

The American version is a lot better.  The Japanese actors didn't ever seem scared, the characters didn't figure anything out, they just had psychic visions, there were ludicrous plot elements like Sadako's mom committing suicide via volcano(!).

Sadako herself wasn't even scary.  Criminy, as slow as she moved, just leisurely shuffle out the front door.  The cursed video wasn't even a little creepy.  It was just people with towels on their heads pointing at stuff and people rolling around on the ground grunting.  Oh, and Sadako's victims looked like they were smiling, rather than scared to death.

When I watched the American version, I had trouble sleeping.  When I watched the Japanese orginal, I had trouble staying awake.
Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!

Psycho Circus

I find Ring 2 and Ring 0 scarier than the original and the US remake.

Doggett

Ring 2 is terrifying, and it's only a 12 certificate. The scene in the swimming pool was seriously registering on my fear-o-metre. It says a lot about modern horror cinema when a 12 can be far more frightening than an 18.

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.

akiratubo

Maybe I'll have to watch Ring 2.  I've stayed away from most of the Japanese horror films that followed in the wake of Ring because it and the couple others I've seen (Ju-on and some movie about scarecrows) sucked.

Magnus

I really liked The Ring and need to see Ring 2.  I haven't seen the Japanese versions either.  As for the Ring I loved it.   

akiratubo

Don't bother seeing the American Ring 2.  Really, don't.  Just enjoy the first one and pretend there was never a sequel.

Mr. DS

First one actually gave me chills in the theater.  It takes A LOT for a movie to do that to me.  The girl coming out of the television easily make my top scary movie moments. If you haven't seen the movie skip the clip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qttT_10QGQ0
The second one was simply ok for me. 
DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall

dean

The American Ring had lots going for it: Great atmosphere and a helluva build up.  Easily one of my scariest movie-going experiences.  See overall the film was building and interesting, but not too scary, then just cranked it up right at the end.  Both in the well and that TV scene.  Saw the Japanese Ringu, but after Ring and it kind of fell flat by comparison [big budget effects + well paid actors, vs, well, not so much]

Haven't seen any of the sequals in full, though I do have US Ring 2 lying around somewhere...
------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

WildHoosier09

I've only seen the Ameican "ring" once.  I will never watch it again, I even couldn't finish the you-tube clip posted on this thread.  When I first saw this movie, I honestly didn't sleep for weeks except for naps during the day.  I was scared utterly crapless.  What is sad is that when I saw it I was not some little kid, I was ~20yrs old at the time but it is so creepily done and I think the scariest aspect of it is that even though the characters learn more about the evil girl from hell, it doesn't help them.  The only thing they can do is make more cursed movies to appease the girl.
Now before the next post comes on here declaring me a p***y, keep this in mind, I laugh my ass off when Michael Meyers or Jason Vorhees slaughter a dozen or so dumbass teenagers.  I have laughed at your "run of the mill" horror movies ever since I was a dumbass teen myself.  This movie has a body count of maybe at most 4 (one's a suicide) but it is so well done that you feel a sense of dread and death in the air throughout, the fact that you know almost nothing about how the girl operates in the real world or even how she kills other than the final death condition makes this one much more scary.
The only difference between zombies and toddlers is one is cuter than the other.

skuts

The Ring (any version) was boring and pointless. For a good scare, watch Robert Wise's The Haunting.
Babies taste best.