Main Menu

Updating my book Riding The High Wind

Started by Trevor, July 01, 2019, 06:28:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trevor

I was going to re-name it God Must Love Crazy People but I think Sylvester Stallone would sue me.

You are all mentioned in the dedication.  :smile:

QuoteThis book is dedicated to my friends, family and mentors:

My parents for dragging me into a cinema at the tender age of seven to see Sidney Lumet's Murder on the Orient Express,
Vincent G. Cox ASC and David Millin ASC: friends, mentors and South African cinematographers par excellence,
Jans Rautenbach, friend, mentor and someone who did not take offence at me almost ruining a screening of one of his films in 1998,
My very special sisters Brenda, Charisse and Maggi: you are the special strong women that every person needs in their lives;
My crazy surrogate family at www.badmovies.org;
My very special niece and nephew: thank you Thandi and thank you Jack, for saving my life many years ago by coming into the world and reminding me that because of the two of you, my life has much purpose and much meaning.
My Technikon Pretoria [Tshwane University of Technology] lecturer Jeannette Burger: thank you for believing in your very troubled student,
Sir David Lean for showing me how a burning coal in a match head leads to a desert sunrise,
Sidney Lumet for directing the first movie I ever saw,
John Frankenheimer for Ronin, The Manchurian Candidate and the ending of Grand Prix,

And also in fond remembrance of Diana, with much love and much respect as always.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.

Alex

Are you getting it published Trevor? Hope so.
Your kisses turn princes into frogs and passion plays into monologues.

Trevor

Quote from: Alex on July 01, 2019, 07:01:31 AM

I'm going to try to get it published: it's an irreverent history of our 124 year old film industry.  :smile:

Alex

Quote from: Trevor on July 01, 2019, 07:04:08 AM

I'm going to try to get it published: it's an irreverent history of our 124 year old film industry.  :smile:

Good for you and best of luck with it.  :smile:
Your kisses turn princes into frogs and passion plays into monologues.

Trevor

Quote from: Alex on July 01, 2019, 07:07:52 AM
Quote from: Trevor on July 01, 2019, 07:04:08 AM

Good for you and best of luck with it.  :smile:

Thanks: I've been reading it again for the first time in years and I just realized that I could get sued with some of the comments I made  :buggedout:

Rev. Powell

Good luck! If nobody thinks of suing you, you might be going too easy on them.
I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...

316zombie

i do believe the rev has a point, lol! good luck, trev, and talk to scholastic publishing too. my friend gabe is a film professor in finland, he likes the concept very much.

bob

......when I saw the thread title I thought you were writing a book about farts for some reason  :question:

good luck with your book  :cheers:
Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Trevor

Quote from: Rev. Powell on July 01, 2019, 01:21:18 PM
Good luck! If nobody thinks of suing you, you might be going too easy on them.

:teddyr: :teddyr:

I just kick the crap out of filmmakers like Richard Attenborough and Richard Donner for making what I call anti-South African films while ignoring the racial injustices in their own countries. I praise filmmakers like Ralph Nelson and Phillip Noyce for not only making anti-apartheid films but also challenging the racial situation in films like Soldier Blue and Rabbit Proof Fence.

Trevor

Quote from: chefzombie on July 01, 2019, 01:47:46 PM
i do believe the rev has a point, lol! good luck, trev, and talk to scholastic publishing too. my friend gabe is a film professor in finland, he likes the concept very much.

Thanks: I stopped writing years ago when an idiot criticized my book this way.

Idiot [sees mention of the Sylvester Stallone film First Blood in my book] Why is this here? You haven't done your research, this is not an SA film.
Me: The end credits theme tune was written by the SA born lyricist Hal Shaper. That's why it is here, you mampara*

* SA slang for idiot.

Trevor

Quote from: bob on July 01, 2019, 05:55:04 PM
......when I saw the thread title I thought you were writing a book about farts for some reason  :question:

good luck with your book  :cheers:

:bouncegiggle: :bouncegiggle:

The title is a nod to the first SA zombie movie Ride The High Wind.  :teddyr:

Reminds me of when I saw Wind River (2017): I thought it was about people with tummy trouble going whitewater rafting and camping. Ummmm....... no.  :buggedout:

Trevor

Oh yes, the Diana mentioned is exactly who you think it is.  :smile:

She would have been 58 yesterday: wow.

316zombie

brother trev. seriously, YOU ROCK! and you WILL get published, i just know this somehow. really. i know it because you deserve it. you'll see! :cheers:

Trevor

Quote from: chefzombie on July 02, 2019, 02:26:26 AM
brother trev. seriously, YOU ROCK! and you WILL get published, i just know this somehow. really. i know it because you deserve it. you'll see! :cheers:

Aww hugs

This is the film my book draws its' title from

And that is a friend of mine getting shot, top left hand corner  :buggedout: :wink: