Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:11:46 AM
713384 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  OT: A look at the future from 1954 « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: OT: A look at the future from 1954  (Read 7503 times)
odinn7
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2006, 11:09:52 AM »

Sounds fantastic, like something I want to do. Best of luck to you.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2006, 01:20:08 PM »

Andy,
 You are doing something I have given much thought to as well.  I'm very very jealous.

I'm getting tired of my sprawl-ridden town and would like to move to somewhere slower, quieter, and with much fewer Starbucks (and other chain stores/restaurants).  There are parts of Oregon that would work for me, but those are becoming discovered by expatriot Californians and some retirees who sold their houses and are now running up the prices here (daveblackeye15,who lives in Eugene, will get what I mean).  
So let me know, can you folks use a pretty talented biologist/teacher (me), and a hugely talented data analyst (my wife).  Maybe the Great White North could be the answer to our question.

Sorry, sprawl and chainification are a huge thing on my mind these days.  I surrender the soapbox.

-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2006, 02:36:04 PM »

Yeah, there are a lot of things I'm looking forward to escaping. Lately, the crime, the drugs, the traffic, and the pollution in the large urban centres of Ontario seem to be getting worse. The city influence extends out to a lot of places that used to be nice little towns. And there are the new housing developments full of people packed side by side who have no interest in each other or the community. People with so many things to do, they often end up doing nothing. And with all the fast food and convenience stores, we shop poorly, eat poorly and spend too much.

Now that we have a daughter, we decided the time is right to make a change. My wife and I both grew up in small towns, so she's happy to be leaving her big inner-city church, and I'm glad to leave the stress of a busy newsroom in a competitive market.

The only thing that might be hard to take is that where I work, I'm kind of a small-town celebrity. People have read my column every week for years, and take what I say seriously. I get on a local TV roundtable show about once a year. Back when I still went to the bar, I could count on getting a good number of beers bought for me by people who wanted to talk politics or air grievances. Before all of this, people knew me because my dad was the police chief in the 70s. It can be unsettling, because complete strangers know who I am, and I've got to struggle to remember if I know them. I can't even give somebody the finger in traffic without worrying about offending a loyal reader. I was kind of glad to move to the neighbouring city at least in part for the anonymity, to go home and leave my work behind. But it was always there to go back to. Two weeks from now, I'll just be the new guy, or the minister's husband. I'm leaving a job that, while stressful, offered a lot in the way of notoriety and influence, albeit on a smaller scale, and I'm a little bit worried about how I'm going to handle that.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2006, 06:08:18 PM »

Maybe your fame will follow... being the writer in residence of an even smaller town has gotta be worth something!  
I think you guys are making a great lifestyle choice.

_Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
The Conqueroo
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2006, 03:25:27 PM »

Yeah,But Can You Go WWWDotClickClickClickNekkidChicksMan??!!
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  OT: A look at the future from 1954 « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.