Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:52:52 AM
714232 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Popular movies you hate...... « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Popular movies you hate......  (Read 14042 times)
Just Plain Horse
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2006, 03:23:51 PM »

Whoo-boy.....

The Wizard of Oz (ugh...)
Night of the Living Dead (I don't get it, never got it, never will get it...)
Pretty Woman (to this day, I cannot shake the notion that Julia Roberts has serious psychological problems buried deep beneath that superficiality...)
Thelma & Louise (two hours of my life I'll never get back... thanks, ladies...)
Superman (Reeve looked the part, but Hackman's performance was just too damn cheesey)
Top Gun (honestly, I can never take Tom Cruise seriously... kind of unfair, I guess...)

90% of all remakes

anything with a former cast members of Saturday Night Live
Amanda
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2006, 04:38:59 PM »

Ok.  I forgot Top Gun.  How did I forget Top Gun??  I loathe Top Gun.  I guess I hate it so much I blocked it from my memory.......

Amanda
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2006, 04:44:48 PM »

I tend to agree about the X Men films.
Neither of them knocked my socks off.

I think the main reasons for not really liking them were indeed the casting.
Not just Halle Berrie....but ALL the actors cast in both films didn't seem to really fit.
Even Patrick Stewart as Professor X seemed wrong.

Especially Jean Grey...Famke Janssen as Jean Grey?  Bad choice.
She's a decent actress...but not for that role.

The only really good casting choice in X-Men was Ian McKellen as Magneto.
He was excellent in that role.
Brian Cox was also good as Stryker in part 2.

Other than them, both films were completely miscast.
Neville

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2006, 05:39:48 PM »

"Top Gun" is worst of the worst. Tom Cruise acting like an idiot we can deal with, but there we are supposed to like him. Same could be applied to "Days of Thunder", which is essentially the same with cars intead of jets.

And Tony Scott, despite "True Romance" and "Enemy of the state" should be tied to a chair and subjected to a non-stop session of all his movies. Now that's a cruel and unusual punishment, I know, but I think anti-capital punishment associations won't conplain this time.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Scottie
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2006, 06:12:50 PM »

I don't like Howard Hawks' Bringing Up Baby. Something about their rapid dialogue exchange irks me.

I also don't like Sin City for its boorish story and unengaging performances... Marv aside. The second time through, I might as well have been watching toast. Boring.

___<br />Spongebob: What could be better than serving up smiles? <br />Squidward: Being Dead.
Neville

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2006, 06:31:36 PM »

I agree on "Sin City". It works as a comic book, and very, very, well, but if you shoot it using the comic as an storyboard you don't get a movie, you get a xerox. And comic and movies are not the same, the voiceover worked great on the original, on the film it was just excessive.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
dean

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2006, 10:21:52 PM »

I quite enjoyed Sin City, but haven't watched it on dvd too much so as to avoid that exact problem mentioned above: it gets a tad repetitive and the voiceover is a bit boring after a while.

Great film though, just in concept alone.

Anyway, I don't have any particular movies I hate [hey I didn't mind Gigli, so I guess that means anything goes] but I do get frustrated when blockbuster movies cast big name actors just because they are big name, rather than finding someone good for the part.  

X-Men and it's sequel, whilst not perfect, were still pretty enjoyable, but I tend to think the casting choices for that film were, well, excessive.

Halle Berry suited Storm fine, and actually most of the cast were good for their roles, but having someone complain too much about screen time, dialogue and whatnot is just petty: She's part of an ensemble cast with heaps of main characters, more than the average film, so it's a little unrealistic to make a grab for plot time.  In that case, the casting really screwed them over, since now they're stuck with her!

Since I don't hate movies specifically [if they entertain me, they've done their job, if not, I don't go too nuts]

But what I do hate when it comes to popular movies/series, is when making money seems more important than making a good film [ahem, Jurassic Park 3, ahem] in which case the movies may be mildly entertaining, but by god you hate the people behind the scenes for working too closely to a formula.

For instance, a critically acclaimed Aussie film, 'A Japanese Story' won a heap of AFIs here [our Oscars] and was bought up by the states.  The producers were then told to cut the short opening sequence out of the film because it didn't start with the right character: Every film must start and end with the main protaganist apparently, otherwise people may tend to get confused they seem to think.  

I watched that opening sequence the other day, and thought to myself: 'cutting that scene is incredibly pointless,' and it got me angry about the type of person who thinks it's so important to start a film a certain way.

If they are watching it, they have paid for their seats and I really don't think they'll walk out in the first few minutes in a confused daze saying 'but it didn't start with the main character, I've lost all will to live...'

So yes, I don't tend to hate movies themselves, no matter how bad, [though I may dislike a few] but I really hate the ideology behind some of the popular movies.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Fearless Freep

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2006, 10:29:54 PM »

For what it's worth, X-2 heavily featured the back story and ramifications of Wolverine so to work thriough the team like that in sequels would not be too surprising

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
akiratubo

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2006, 08:12:36 AM »

The Matrix.

I hate it.

Anything -- anything -- could have happened in that movie.  So, out of the limitless potential, what did we get?  Gun fights and wire-fu.

Gun fights and wire fu.

Not even laser guns or wire-fu where people get their limbs torn off.

Just ...

Gun fights and wire fu.

*spit*

Worse, almost every single sci-fi or action movie since then has tried to be as similar to The Matrix as possible.

*hock* *spit*

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Squeakmiester 3000
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2006, 04:19:45 PM »

the island, for one. they completelly rip off the idea of Parts: The Clonus Horror, and somehow...................someway...................manage to squander the intellectual worth of the idea in ways i didn't think possible. That movie was BEGGING to be remade! It had a brilliant idea behind it! so of course, they decided instead to remake it in precicelly the wrong way, as a stupid action movie. Oh, and try to get it out the door without it being noticed as a remake. Great.

Also, Sideways sucked. I didn't care at all for any of the characters. In fact, I hated them. And everyone else i asked hated the characters too. But somehow, someway, those people also liked the movie. I am forced to conclude the movie somehow paid them 50 bucks to like it.

Syriana. It had four different plots, only one of which was even a little interesting,and all of them were so cut down in order to force them all into the same movie. And i could not, for the l;ife of me, figure out what bob was doing.
pops_mcfly
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2006, 05:50:29 PM »

Sorry about that I didn't mean to lump you all together---I was just shocked that it happened in the first place because the two countries have been so close for so many years--for it to be broken over a hockey game was just bizarre.

God, why did some moron decide to ruin the Dukes Of Hazard with Jessica Simspon as Daisy? Yeaaaaauuurrrgggghhh--the HORROR!
pops_mcfly
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2006, 06:04:35 PM »

I gotta add Oblvion to my list--the idea is NOT fresh or original,Bravestarr came first in the 1980's--it was essentially the same thing but it was an animated series and while I never saw it personally it always looked really cool--an Indian(who LOOKED like one for once) as the main hero Marshall Bravestarr, a black leather clad gal with a whip, a butt kicking alien who worked the saloon, and Bravestarr's steed who could transform into a two legged ass-kicking monster as Bravestarr's partners and a evil zombie with alien scorpion men and killer phsycotic and robot army to back his evil gang up sounded to cool--and the expensive and thus short lived action figures rocked as well (I bought Bravestarr and the Bar tender at a thrift shop for a buck a piece) Tell me THAT wouldn't be an awesome cartoon--how it failed is beyond me considering it was done by the guys who did He-Man--but this idea was better than He-Man ever even sounded-at least to me.

So when I saw it at the rental store a few years back I was intrigued, I had never gotten to see Bravestarr and figured this was as close as I'd ever get. So I rented it and was very excited---until I poppped it into the player----Arrrrggggghhhhh! I couldn't even finish the flick it annoyed me so bad! The good news is that I've heard through the grapevine that Bravestarr episodes can be found on VHS so I'm gonna be on the look out for those.

God, why did some moron decide to ruin the Dukes Of Hazard with Jessica Simspon as Daisy? Yeaaaaauuurrrgggghhh--the HORROR!
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2006, 06:09:59 PM »

Rushmore - I was looking forward to comedy and I don't what the hell I got, but it wasn't funny.

Blair Witch Project - I guess if you were one of the clueless that thought it was a documentary it would have been scary, but I'm afraid it bored me beyond belief. If  it was real it would have made a good murder mystery because someone would have killed the that bossy b***h Heather Donahue.

The first two X-men were excellently made superheroe movies. The third from I've read may be disappointing because of the the director Brett Ratner (Rush Hour 1 & 2). I've heard it is going to concentrate mostly on Storm (Halle Berry) the most miscast character in the series. I've always thought this part should have gone to Angela Bassett (who looks like Ororo Munroe from the comics and can act).

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
pops_mcfly
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2006, 06:36:22 PM »

Don't blame him. Berrie more or less blackmailed them into getting the spotlight centering on her almost completely....she's a glamour hog.

trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2006, 06:37:51 PM »

From a test showing review I read she is in almost every scene.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Popular movies you hate...... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.