Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:27:13 AM
714230 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Semi-OT: What I've been up to lately. « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Semi-OT: What I've been up to lately.  (Read 1110 times)
dean
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: January 23, 2006, 04:34:22 AM »

Just thought I'd give people an update on why I haven't had much time lately.

For the last two or so weeks I have been working full time in the city, at my Uni [or, I guess now, my ex Uni]

I've been helping out at this Film School that is running for about three and a half weeks in which I mainly help lug stuff around and help with the Audio-Visual stuff.  

Link to Website Here [I'm really only there for the Script to Screen days, though a friend from High School, who got me the gig, is helping run the steadicam workshop with his dad, bless their job-giving souls.]

It has so far been the most interesting 'work' I've ever done. [I say 'work' because I'm not getting paid, but instead I am able to basically do this course for free, which is much better value since the course is way outta my price range at the moment]

Anyways, basically it's a series of lectures running every weekday about different facets of the filmmaking process, with industry proffessionals giving talks on their various areas of filmmaking.

So far, in the last ten or so days, we have explored a number of things ranging from cinematography, directing actors, camera and lighting, visual effects, music, production and sound design etc. and it's been fantastic.

Today, for example, we had a visual effects guy who worked on Star Wars eps 1+2 and King Kong come in to have a chat with us about the process [and showed us some interesting footage from some of his films as they were developed] and an AFI award winning composer who worked on a number of great Australian films/mini series [including The Rage in Placid Lake, Two Hands and After the Deluge] and who was incredibly funny, and very interesting.

Essentially I help these folks show clips [since most don't know how to use the system at these lecture theatres] and I get to listen and watch along with the rest of the people doing the course.

But everynow and then I get to do things which are very interesting, like the Sound Design lecturer, who worked on films such as Rabbit Proof Fence, taking me to a studio to record an interview with the sound designer from Wolf Creek, which was fascinating, despite my recording the interview at first with no sound due to a technical problem which was sorted out and we started again [argh!!!! How stupid!!!]  But problems such as this make it all a great learning experience I guess.  Hopefully I'll get to keep a copy of this interview, and hopefully it'll be the one with sound...

There have also been some funny stories, such as one lass telling us about how a big US production came into town starring a big star [let's say, Tom Cruise] who, in order to stay in character had badges for all the crew which stated whether they were allowed to talk to him or not.  On the second day of shooting all the Australian crew switched badges so Cruise had lowly assisstants coming up to him and saying hello despite not being allowed to.  Many of these badges were also apparently framed by many of the crew as a fun memento.

This course has been utterly fascinating, and I'm picking up so many tips and meeting so many knowledgeable people.  You really do get a much more accurate insight, short of working on an actual set, than I ever would have guessed, and basically the theme that seems to follow throughout these lectures is that if you want to make films, the best way is to just go out and make them: you can talk and theorise all you want, but in the end the best way to learn and get good is to just make films, even if they are crappy backyard miniDV films, it's worth the time and experience.

Coming up this week will be the very interesting 'Shooting Action, Stunts & Special Effects' day, in which I'm sure there will be some quite fun things going on [I heard one year the guy brought in an Uzi and cut loose on the unsuspecting audience with a round of blanks], and 'Adaptation for the Screen' for, obviously adapting novels etc to the big screen.

Anyways, I just thought I'd clue people in on the fun I've been having, and though it's completely destroyed my free time [and one film project I had to postpone to do this] I am having an absolute ball.  Here's hoping I don't screw up again, and that things run really smoothly.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Semi-OT: What I've been up to lately. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.