Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 12:29:25 AM
714253 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Infra Man « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Infra Man  (Read 1729 times)
Dr. Whom
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Cthulhu for president! Why choose the lesser evil?

« on: January 25, 2006, 06:39:20 AM »

Just rented this. Extremely good fun! Could someone more knowledgeable than me about East Asian popular culture tell me whether this is indeed the direct ancestor of the Power Rangers et al? Does Infra Man tie in with any line of toys? How did the concept travel from Hong Kong to Japan (or vice versa?)

I had a version with French subtitles, and there are some interesting differences with Andrew's review. For a start, the baddy is the Ice Queen, and she assisted by the Vision Demon. Also, the first monster is not the Octopus Monster but the Plant Monster, which makes a lot more sense. The hero himself is called Lei Ma. (those R and L again)

The dialogues are even funnier in this version. For instance, the 'Thunderbolt fist' dialogue is as follows (more or less)

Professor: To defeat the monsters you'll need Thunderbolt Fists
Lei Ma; Thunderbolt Fists!
Professor: Yes, Thunderbolt Fists!!

Incidentally, these fists produce one billion Watts per square cm and are even more powerful that the Photonic Heels.

"Once you get past a certain threshold, everyone's problems are the same: fortifying your island and hiding the heat signature from your fusion reactor."

Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! ... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput.
akiratubo

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2006, 07:53:19 AM »

The Henshin (transforming) Hero has been a staple of Japanese TV and movies for at least six decades.  It probably has its roots in mythology.  Japanese lore is full of people turning themselves into monsters, demons, what have you.

Henshin Hero shows probably had their peak in the 70s, with Devil Man, Ultra Man, Kamen Rider, and countless others.  There was even a show called Zone Fighter which routinely guest-starred Godzilla!

Infra-Man was probably made to cash in on the craze.  Thailand and Korea made a lot of Henshin Hero shows and movies around the same time.

Now, this is far from a definitive answer on which country brought the concept to the video medium first.  However, I am quite familiar with the Japanese shows and Infra-Man is obviously made to feel as much like them as possible, from the way characters dress, to the motorcycles they ride, to the way the monsters look and act.  That doesn't stop it from being distinctly Chinese, though, which is not a bad thing.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Dr. Whom

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2006, 09:05:02 AM »

Thanks! I've been googling Henshin Hero. Truly a treasure trove!

"Once you get past a certain threshold, everyone's problems are the same: fortifying your island and hiding the heat signature from your fusion reactor."

Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! ... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2006, 01:29:48 PM »

I rented this movie about 18 years ago and I loved it.  I wouldn't mind seeing it again.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Zapranoth
Eye of Sauron and

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2006, 02:05:32 AM »

Infra man was the dude who would cross his arms and shoot a blast of energy from them, right?  Wait.... that narrowed it down to about two thousand heroes, didn't it?  :/

I remember seeing that show on a neighbor kid's TV... they had cable, back in the day when almost no one in my area did.  There was also some bit about Infra Man falling and never rising again, that seemed to happen about every episode.   I forget what the deal was, though.
dean

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2006, 03:57:22 AM »

Hehehe, I just watched Power Rangers the Movie and thought the same thing: where the hell did these shows come from?

That being said, the next day I had the pleasure of meeting the person in charge of the special effects for that movie, which was a funny coincidence.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
akiratubo

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2006, 06:48:21 AM »

Infra-Man was a one-shot movie.  You're probably thinking of Ultra Man and his specium beam.

Dr. Whom

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2006, 07:48:14 AM »

Mind you, Inframan could also raise himself from deep chasms and shoot bolts from his fists! He could also behead demons repeatedly!

¨Perhaps they shopped at the same store for costumes.

Squeakmiester 3000
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2006, 06:53:18 PM »

i heard the whole idea began with the extremelly loose japanese adaption of spider man, which was called "supaidah man". He got his powers from an alien from planet spider, and then fought monsters.
akiratubo

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2006, 09:05:57 PM »

The Henshin Hero concept itself is much older than the Japanese Spider Man show but, come to think of it, "Supaidaa Man" may very well have been the first show in which a Henshin Hero piloted a giant robot.

ToyMan
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2006, 12:01:29 PM »

thanks to this thread, i had a badass "sentai warriors as directed by takashi miike" dream last night.

Vermin Boy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2006, 07:31:11 AM »

For all you Boston-area fans, they're doing a midnight screening of this movie at the Coolidge Corner Theater next month. I'd go, but I'm pretty sure my band has a gig that night.

-Vermin Boy

My site: The Vermin Cave
My band: The Demons of Stupidity
?????: ?????
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2006, 12:32:37 AM »

Andrew has a review of INFRA MAN.

I haven't seen the film, but after looking at the images and clip I'm ready to get a copy. : )

Flangepart

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2006, 12:05:57 PM »

Oh, it is to laugh!
This insane picture is ripe for riffing, as well as takeing it on its own deranged merits. A double header!.

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Infra Man « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.