Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:27:56 PM
714223 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Harryhausen and Stop Motion Technique « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Harryhausen and Stop Motion Technique  (Read 1818 times)
ulthar
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« on: February 02, 2006, 10:01:23 AM »

Have any of you watched the Harryhausen Chronicles that is on the DVD versions of some of his movies (for example, Earth vs The Flying Saucers and 20,000,000 Miles to Earth)?

I always imagined doing stop motion was a precise, very "engineered" technique.  Though that's not the way *I* did it while playing around (and my results of course looked very amateurish).  In fact, watching Harryhausen doing it, it looks very haphazard.  He just wiggles things around and takes a shot, wiggles things around and takes a shot, etc.

Very different from what I envisioned.  It actually gives me a whole new respect for just how 'real' some of his animations are.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
odinn7

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2006, 10:05:14 AM »

I've made many 8mm stop-go films when I was younger. I always thought it was a precision operation too. You mean to tell me that all those years I was pretty much doing the same thing as the master? I could've been the next master? (well, if not for computers).

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2006, 08:49:58 AM »

I like when he mentions during the documentary on TCM, that having to answer the phone while working would really screw things. He would come back and forget the last movement he had filmed.

What is hard to believe is how much work it took and that he generally worked alone.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2006, 03:52:08 PM »

I saw a piece on Ardman animation's work (Wallace and Gromit), and they are very painstaking.  It took them a whole day to do seconds of footage.  They really worked to get consistent and realistic movement
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
PSlugworth
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2006, 06:25:22 PM »

Many stop-motion animators would use an exposure sheet to time their shots out, but Harryhausen did not.  He does (or did), I'm sure, note certain key frames in order to time with the actors movements -- especially in scenes like the skeleton fights in the 7th Voyage of Sinbad and Jason and the Argonauts!  But as for precisely planning every tiny movement out ahead of time, I guess he felt that it would look more nautral if he "acted" the movements out himself in real time with the puppets.

A lot of animators today use video to see how their animation is progressing as they work on it, but Harryhausen has said a few times that even if the technology had existed for him he would have preferred not to use it, as he always felt that it was more important to see where the action was going rather than where he had already been.

Official Member of the Don Knotts Fan Club.
andrew sylvester dot com
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2006, 07:28:19 PM »

That's interesting what you mentioned about key frames.  I was watching a piece on the Looney Tunes DVD the other day that was talking about Chuck Jones drawing about every 20th frame or so; the animators only filled in frames between those Jones drew.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Harryhausen and Stop Motion Technique « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.