Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:23:56 PM
713351 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Colossus - The Forbin Project (1970) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Colossus - The Forbin Project (1970)  (Read 1632 times)
ulthar
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« on: February 02, 2006, 10:30:28 AM »

Watched this one last night.  I thought the premise was very cool, but the execution was bland.

Dr. Forbin (Eric Braeden, currently the one and only Victor Newman of The Young and The Restless), the world's leading computer expert, has designed a computer to take over all aspects of the US Dept. of Defense.  Colossus, as it's called, has direct control over all nuclear weapons, well all weapons, and even has its own weapon system just to guard itself (included a gamma radiation shield).

The US Pres. and pretty much everybody is going on and on (and on and on and on and on) about how great this is. They hold a press conference announcing to the world how great this is - that a machine, with no emotion and far smarter than any human could ever hope to be, controls human destiny.  It does not take the viewer long to figure out this is not going to go as planned.

Only hours after being activated and given complete, irreversible, control, Colossus discovers its counterpart (Guardian) in the Soviet Union, that the US did not know about.  Colossus and Guardian team up to figure out a way to really take control and make the yu-mans subservient.

Sound a bit like War Games borrowed from this one?  Maybe.

Anyway, the film has a darker mood than lighting and visual design seems to suggest.  I was very struck by how the relationship between the US and the USSR was portrayed.  Trust and teamwork was probably almost unheard of in the height of the cold war.  The ending was much darker than I thought it would be (thank goodness for no deux et machina Hollywood fairy tale ending).

My complaint with this movie was simply that it was extremely dialog driven.  In fact, my wife commented that you don't really to watch it; you can listen and get just as much from it.

Overall: 3/5 for story concept and mood.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
LH-C
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2006, 11:12:50 AM »

I like this movie a lot as well. Too bad that a widescreen version isn't available.

The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2006, 01:44:22 PM »

I had this on VHS a few years ago.  The first time I watched it, I thought it was slow-moving and VERY dated.  But I watched it a couple more times and I liked it a little better each time.  I think that if they ever do a remake of this, it has a good chance to be better than the original.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
raj

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2006, 02:37:46 PM »

Only watched it once, probably during the '70s, on tv.  Even though I was young, I thought it had a good premise.  This is definitely a thinking/talking movie, a remake would probably shoe-horn in as many explosions and car chases as possible, and ruin it.
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2006, 11:31:11 PM »

It came on TV a couple years ago, but I missed it. Going to have to put it on my list so I don't forget about it.

Flangepart

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2006, 05:52:22 PM »

And the ending was a way downer....at least for humanity. The Novels certianly brought out that aspect.
Ah, if only they had had Jim Kirk, then they would have had a chance.

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Colossus - The Forbin Project (1970) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.