Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:18:42 PM
713351 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Gary Busey and Billy Zane make anti-American movie « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Gary Busey and Billy Zane make anti-American movie  (Read 4595 times)
trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

We're all just victims of circumstance

« on: February 10, 2006, 05:40:02 PM »

I usually  try to avoid politics, but this kinda p**ses me off. Are these two idiots braindead or just reallly needing a paycheck. This is what I call really whoring yourself out.

Read the article about the most expensive Turkish movie ever made and the way it depicts Americans.

CNN article

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2006, 07:44:08 PM »

Well, I hate to play devils' advocate with someone I respect so much, but in all fairness the average Muslim is not depicted as all that pleasant in many movies.   This is just "Red Dawn" (I know there were no Muslims in that) or "Not Without my Daughter" for the Turkish set.

Besides, like all of the most expensive movies ever made it'll have one good weekend and then be in second run by the next Wednesday, and on DVD two weeks later.  

But to get on topic, Gary Busey has had a real dry run in the last few years, I can't think of a decent part to save my life.  Maybe he really really needs the money but he really should get a new agent after this.  

To be honest, part of me woulld really like to stop seeing the heavy handed portrayls of "The Foreign Other" just stop for a while, on all sides.   This is like the propaganda movies shown in WWII.  I have a bad case of "leave each other the hell alone" right now.  

-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
odinn7

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2006, 11:56:50 PM »

Unfortunately, if it wasn't for America, nobody would even know who Busey is. To have him do this, for whatever reason, just shows him for the dick smoker that he is.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
peter johnson

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2006, 12:58:12 AM »

It ain't so much "anti-American" as anti-Jew -- Busey playing the nefarious Yid who cuts the organs from living Muslims for a profit is a continuation of Emil Jannings' portrayal of "Die Ewige Juden" for The Ol' Third Reich, which has always been popular in the Middle East.
     As utterly foul and contemptous as this role is, I predict it will do no lasting damage to Busey's career, and will probably be hailed in the name of "tolerance" -- that and the fact that modern audiences are either ignorant or very selective in their outrage with reference to History.
     I expect Busey could top himself & don some blackface for a remake of "All Coons Look Alike to Me" . . .
peter johnson/denny crane

I have no idea what this means.
akiratubo

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2006, 09:21:37 AM »

Lots of foreign countries make movies with evil Americans.

I can see how Billy Zane might think he's making a "statement" about American soldiers not always being the lilly white heroes we think they are.  Not so sure about Busey taking such a role.  It could be that he just thought playing an evil doctor who cuts out people's organs would be fun.

I'd have to see the movie before I make judgements about any aspect of it.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2006, 09:42:56 AM »

Are we sure it's not a comedy?   I mean, Busey playing a Dr. sounds pretty funny to me.  He's not the most polished of actors...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2006, 12:50:35 PM »

My real point is that both of these guys have been in some high profile movies, so they are relatively well known actors. So what would possess them to do a movie like this? I guess it's not going to damage either of their careers since they don't have much of one right now, and most Americans will never even hear of this film, much less see it.

I know that Americans are demonized in movies in a great deal of the world, but to have known American actors take part in what appears from the synopsito be a blatant propaganda piece is really outrageous. We often portray peoples from the middle east in a bad way, but I don't think you're going to see any actors that are well known to that region of the world lining up to get those parts.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2006, 01:17:42 PM »

I wonder what they got paid to do it?  Busey, while one of my guilty favorites has had to take some really bum parts lately.  Maybe some oil magnate of a backer found the magic "don't care" number.  
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Just Plain Horse
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2006, 03:15:22 PM »

Who would win in a fight to the death? Gary Busey or Nick Nolte?
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2006, 04:02:29 PM »

All this movie needs is Billy Jack.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
LH-C
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2006, 04:19:44 PM »

This was posted today on IMDb.

My favorite part was - In the conservative National Review, writer Jim Geraghty commented, "Pardon my French, but Billy, Gary...you're whores. You will contribute to the vilest propaganda for a pile of cash."

Anytime a former A-lister is called a whore, it's funny.

The Conqueroo
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2006, 04:24:20 PM »

Well,Last I Saw of Gary(A)Busey,He Was Doing One Of Those Really Bad "Left Behind"Movies on TBN and Billy Zane,Well Ever Since He Slapped The Loverly Kate Winslet Around in "Trypanic"*(*"Titanic".),His Career Has Gone Downhill!!Hell,He Gotta Do Something To Keep From Being On "When Washed Up Celebrities Are Attacked  By Wild Animals"on Fox!!
The Conqueroo
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2006, 07:56:37 PM »

It Would All Depend On Which One was Drunk and Which One was Sober!!
Neville

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2006, 05:28:36 AM »

And so? They both done plenty of idiotic movies before, this one is only remarkable because it's anti-american instead of pro-american. So what's the fuss about?

Can't see the reason behind all the controversy surrounding this movie, from my perspective it's not more stupid / offensive than, say, "First Blood - Part II" or any of the Chuck Norris "Missing in Action" movies.

EDITED: Seen the trailer, Zane is not even featured promirnently, and couldn't see Busey anywhere. BTW, you haven't seen cheese until you've seen a bald Billy Zane speaking with Turkish dubbing.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
odinn7

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2006, 09:42:54 AM »

The point, Neville, is that Busey is an American actor and has made his primary money off of us. To go and do an anti-American movie like this, just shows him for what he is.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Gary Busey and Billy Zane make anti-American movie « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.