Main Menu

OT: Insect Candy

Started by Ash, February 15, 2006, 10:44:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ash

I watched Modern Marvels on the History Channel last night and the subject was candy.
All kinds of candy.

I had no idea that a company called HOTLIX makes candy that contains real insects.
Ants, larvae, crickets, butterflies and even scorpions!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Had any of you heard of this candy before?
Would you try any of those delectable treats?

Menard

I knew that there are some companies which made insect candy; though I never cared to find out the names of any of them.

Suckers and chocolate covered insects seem to be the most popular from what I have seen.

They used to sell insect lollipops several years ago as a prank novelty in Johnson Smith catalogs; you would regularly see their full page ads in comic books where you could get x-ray glasses, mystery radios,and all kinds of pranks like whoopee cushions and insect candy.

ThadC

I seen this before... some cultures really eat this stuff.
(((Little purple bunnies live in my sock drawer, and they tell me to burn things.)))
Crazy people have more fun.

Vermin Boy

My mom got me some of that for my Christmas stocking years ago. Unfortunately, she hid it and forgot where she put it. I was understandably puzzled when I found one of the candies pictured above nestled in the bottom of the silverware drawer...
-Vermin Boy

My site: The Vermin Cave
My band: The Demons of Stupidity
?????: ?????

Neville

Mmmm... Scorpions...

(OK, just kidding)
Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.

Scottie

Actually, scorpions makes a tasty treat. Ever had a reeeeaaallly good bottle of tequila? All the best drop an insect in the bottom so as to release the natural flavors of the insect into the liquor. So smooth, so tasty.
___<br />Spongebob: What could be better than serving up smiles? <br />Squidward: Being Dead.

BoyScoutKevin

Yes, and I'm not sure. If I did, it'd probably be the one with the ants in it. That does seem the least gross of those listed. What I like is the fact that you can not only purchase candy with crickets in it, but they also come in flavors, just like potato chips.

daveblackeye15

Near the end of the last term somebody in my class had receieved a box of caterpiller like worm candy. Ithink they were cooked and not really sugar. Anyway I tried a few and I rather liked them, it reminded me of what pork rinds are, something like that.

I'll try that scorpion one!
Now it's time to sing the nation anthem IN AMERICA!!!

Bandit Keith from Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged Series (episode 12)