Main Menu

Cyborg sharks

Started by raj, March 07, 2006, 10:49:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

raj

Why does this sound like a cheesy Sci-Fi channel movie (not that that's a bad thing):

"DARPA (Defense Advanced Research Project Agency) has taken another page from science fiction writer William Gibson's book by creating a neural implant to enable engineers to remotely manipulate a shark's brain signals. This would eventually allow them to control the animal's movements and possibly decode their perceptions."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20060307/sc_space/militaryplanscyborgsharks

trekgeezer

Hey, this sounds better than the whole let's mix in some human DNA thing  like in Peter Benchley's Creature, Deep Blue Sea, and the SciFi original Hammerhead. The only one of these with anything  mentionable is Hammerhead, because of the delightful Jeffrey Combs as the mad doctor.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.

plan9superfan

You are right, this could be a great plot for a cheesy sci-fi movie.

Flangepart

Wait...how do we know THEY diden't get the idea from B-MOVIES?
I think that woulkd explain a lot of things, "Gummint" wise...
"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"

Fearless Freep

The thought of some government agency out there with some guy whose job it is to monitor Sci-Fi channel for technology and tactical ideas...
=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting

AndyC

But are they going to give the sharks frickin' laser beams on their heads?
---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."

Flangepart

I donno...would only a Blue-Green laser work underwater?
I'd line then fish with "Limpet grenades". Swim up to a boat, brush up aginst it, detatch a mine...swim away....BOOM!...next target...
"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"

plan9superfan

And when the mad scientist unleashes his army of cybernetiuc sharks, who are we gonna call exactly?

Austin Powers? Kim Possible? Jason Bourne or James Bond?

Shadowphile

RE:  Limpet mines.

Why have the shark swim away?  It's not like the government would worry about the money spent on the control technology.  How much does the average cruise missile cost?