Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:15:58 PM
714349 Posts in 53094 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  THE HILLS HAVE EYES remake - - go see it! « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: THE HILLS HAVE EYES remake - - go see it!  (Read 9087 times)
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2006, 08:05:21 PM »

Skaboi:

Again, I agree.  The movie does have a few problems (but EVERY movie does - - even my favorite movie THE GODFATHER had shameless continuity errors).  HILLS sure isn't perfect.  In fact, without giving anything away, there is a certain scene near the end of the movie that made me groan because it is SUCH a horror movie cliche.  But I still give the movie a solid recommendation.  THE BOSTON GLOBE rated it 3 stars out of 4.  I'd say that's about right.

If you're in the mood for a good bloodbath, this movie certainly delivers!

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2006, 08:49:46 PM »

Burgo,

I know the exact scene you are thinking of.  I just knew the character was going to do what he did, and exactly what would happen afterwards.  Wow....that was vague.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2006, 09:50:36 PM »

Skaboi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ulthar,
>
>  it'll probably ... make money on DVD.
> It never fails to amaze me how a horror film will
> bomb at the theater and then make buckets of cash
> on video.  I guess that most people just don't
> care to see horror films in theaters anymore.
>

I was thinking about DVD sales just before I read your post, which made me wonder: are the major studios looking at DVD sales as a means to recoup investment, or is the focus TOTALLY on Box Office?

Weren't there a few articles in 2005 about WHY folks are not going to theatre anymore?  The teeny-bopper factor helps keep us away from the theatres, and that is generally magnified at horror flicks.  Pretty much the only time we go see one on the big screen is at the drive-in.

I can remember the days when the audience was an integral part of the (positive) aspects of going to the movies.  But nowadays, with talking, cell phones and general anti-social behavior, plus the crowd and traffic, I just don't care that much.  And in my younger days, I would routinely go see 4-5 movies per week (or more) and sometimes more than one per day.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
daveblackeye15

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2006, 10:04:58 PM »

Yes, yes it was.

Now it's time to sing the nation anthem IN AMERICA!!!

Bandit Keith from Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged Series (episode 12)
dean

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2006, 10:13:33 PM »

ulthar Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I can remember the days when the audience was an
> integral part of the (positive) aspects of going
> to the movies.  But nowadays, with talking, cell
> phones and general anti-social behavior, plus the
> crowd and traffic, I just don't care that much.
> And in my younger days, I would routinely go see
> 4-5 movies per week (or more) and sometimes more
> than one per day.

First off, that's alot of movies a week.  Sweet.

Secondly, poor box office is a trend at the moment everywhere, and add to that the fact that you can practically buy a home theatre system for a few thousand, there's more and more people looking to view at home.  I mean, I wouldn't say that nowadays there would be much more talking, in general or on mobile phones than there would have been years ago, and I'm pretty sure there's the same amount of anti-social behaviour at any cinema so I don't think that's the case.

I'm also assuming the viewing experience at the cinemas is pretty different here than in the states.  

Plus I guess alot of people are getting sick of how the hollywood system is pumping out a lot of crap recently.  It's kind of hard to get people excited about going to the movies when you know that they just want to make money, and don't actually seem to care about making something good for once.  A relatively cynical audience doesn't seem to help sales I guess.

Anyways, I'm excited now for The Hills Have Eyes, but sadly I'm pretty certain it won't be released here for a long while now.  Very excited.  

For some reason there isn't as many 'blockbuster' good movies I want to see this year, so it's always good to have a film like this to look foward to.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
plan9superfan
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2006, 04:27:07 AM »

The original is a masterpiece of horror that SHOULDN'T be remade.

I'd rather eat my own liver than watch this film, or ANY remake of a horror classic for that matter.
Mitch McAfee
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2006, 05:09:12 AM »

Dean - its meant to open in Melbourne March 23. I've seen the trailer a whole bunch of times & I'm really looking forward to it.

And am I the only one that thinks Craven is incredibly over rated?!? He's had more misses than hits over the years, but people seem to hold him in high regard.
plan9superfan
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2006, 05:47:22 AM »

Wes Craven is a master of horror, and he is ten thousand times more talented than Alexandre Aja.

And remakes suck.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2006, 11:23:06 AM »

Mitch:

I also believe that Craven is overrated.  He made 2 "breakthrough" films (THE LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT and THE HILLS HAVE EYES), and a few other decent movies (such as the original NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET), but he has also churned out a lot of crap or near-crap (such as DEADLY FRIEND, SHOCKER, THE HILLS HAVE EYES PART 2, etc.)

He has definitely made some very influential and trend-setting movies, but I think his "just okay" movies and his "not good at all" movies outnumber his "classics."  (Similar to Tobe Hooper, whose entire career is defined by THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE, and the fact that Spielberg "tossed him a bone" with POLTERGEIST.  Most of his other movies are forgettable).

But HILLS and LAST HOUSE are still two of my all-time favorites.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Mitch McAfee
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2006, 03:20:55 PM »

Burgo: I agree with you about comparing Tobe Hooper to Craven. Two directors who broke into the movie business in the early 70’s, both with controversial independent films, who then managed to build patchy careers with uninspiring projects (with one or two exceptions, such as the original ELM STREET).

It was only last year that I finally had the opportunity to watch LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT - it was banned for many years here in Australia. Whilst it's very rough, you can't deny the rawness & power on screen & it’s reputation is well deserved.

I’d also add …

Craven’s SHATTERDAY episode from the 80’s TWILIGHT ZONE as one of his “better than average” projects.

And Hooper’s SALEMS LOT – I haven’t seen it since it aired in the early 80’s, but as a kid this scared the crap out of me! I probably should watch it again sometime. This film & TEXAS CHAINSAW were Hooper’s best films in my book.

As for POLTERGEIST – well it looks exactly like a Spielberg film, it sounds exactly like a Spielberg film & it feels like a Spielberg film. But I guess we’ll never really know, despite the conflicting set reports & interviews from key crew members when asked “who really directed Poltergeist?”
LH-C
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2006, 04:59:31 PM »

<>

Yeah. A whole lot of people said 'Oh yeah, Tobe directed it!' and then other people said 'Steve had a ton of input' or worse 'Steve just told Tobe what to do'.

akiratubo

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2006, 05:47:44 PM »

"the guys who made HIGH TENSION were responsible for it"

Whoa, glad you said that.  Now I know not to waste my money for a ticket.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
daveblackeye15

« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2006, 06:17:58 PM »

Hey Burgo, I think Deadly Friend is a neat little movie. I wouldn't rate  is as "near crap'".

Now it's time to sing the nation anthem IN AMERICA!!!

Bandit Keith from Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged Series (episode 12)
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2006, 06:41:04 PM »

Man...Deadly Friend scared the crap out of me when I was younger.  I remember catching the film on a local station around 88 or so.  At the time, I was pretty young and I remember it started off with the guy and a robot.  At that point my 5 year old mind was captured.

Then...the guy puts the chip in the chick's brain and I remember being scared from there on out.  I remember being too scared to watch anything after the point where she kills her father.  It's funny how much horror films scared me back in the day, and how much I love them now.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
dean

« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2006, 10:22:10 PM »

Cheers Mitch, I've seen the posters pop up, but haven't seen a trailer for it yet [either on TV or at the movies, but that's probably because I'm not watching alot of TV at the moment, and I've missed the previews at the last few films I watched.]

Good to know it's not a long wait.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  THE HILLS HAVE EYES remake - - go see it! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: osmosis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.