Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:54:29 PM
714253 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Minotaur (2005) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Minotaur (2005)  (Read 2268 times)
trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

We're all just victims of circumstance

« on: March 12, 2006, 02:25:27 PM »

Every three years soldiers from Minos show up at the village to collect 8 young people to sacrifice to their bull god. Young Theo (Tom Hardy), son of the village leader (Rutger Hauer) is usually sent away to tend the sheep so he will be protected from being taken (he is the heir and future leader). Theo has a conversation with the leper lady who tells him his girlfriend who was taken the last time is still alive and that Theo is destined to save her and kill the bull god, so naturally he takes the place of one the eight.

The eight get thrown into the tunnels where the minotaur lives and it is pretty much a monster in the cave movie from there. They even fall into the usual monster movie stereotypes; the hero, the guy who dislikes the hero, the kid, the slow witted guy, and the whiner (who does get shut up in a surprising way). There is also a subplot involving the high priest (Tony Todd) and his sister.

This movie had surprisingly good production values for a SciFi original. It does suffer from a weak script, but most of the acting is adequate for the subject matter. The effects were pretty good too. The minotaur doesn't look like the classical being we are used to seeing.

If you don' t know who Tom Hardy is, he played the Shinzon (the Picard clone) in Star Trek: Nemesis. He does quite a bit of gravely voiced mumbling.  Rutger Hauer is in about the first fifteen minutes playing the protective father who has to resign himself to the sacrifice his village must make (I don't understand why they didn't just up and move seeing as they were only being harrassed every three years).

Overall not a a bad way to spend a couple of hours. I have seen some theatrical movies that were far worse.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
plan9superfan
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2006, 03:17:15 PM »

Is this movie related in any way with the Greco-Roman myth of Theseus and the Minotaur?
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2006, 03:24:07 PM »

I watched abit of it and didn't mind it much.  I like Rutger though, enough to put up with some awful films to watch him.
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 12:55:06 AM »

I just got done watching it and I have to say I enjoyed it for the most part.  The head-impalement scene with the stupid emo girl was great! 
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 07:52:14 AM »

I enjoyed that one as well.  The high priest and his sister really made it for me, they were by far the most interesting characters.  I thought the special effects were pretty good too.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Bmeansgood
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2007, 10:15:20 PM »

I had this one in my hand at the video store and set it down at the last minute (probably for some dumb slasher flick with a half-naked woman on the cover). 

Now I have to go rent it. 
Torgo

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 10:50:12 PM »

The main thing I was asking my friends when we saw this on Sci-Fi channel was what was up with Tony Todd's man boobs?  Middle age isn't being too kind for him.   TeddyR

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2007, 12:04:47 AM »

The main thing I was asking my friends when we saw this on Sci-Fi channel was what was up with Tony Todd's man boobs?  Middle age isn't being too kind for him.   TeddyR

The black fingernails. incestuous intent, and Saturday morning cartoon villain voice didn't help, either.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Minotaur (2005) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.