Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:41:18 PM
714252 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Aging of Movies......................... « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: The Aging of Movies.........................  (Read 6541 times)
ulthar
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2006, 09:38:28 AM »

I'll say again:  if there were NO remakes, we would not have Carpenter's The Thing.  Would you really want the Dracula story to have ended with Nosferatu?  I thought Father of the Bride (1991) was well made.  Others have pointed out other examples.  

We know your view on remakes, and that's cool; you seem to favor a form of self-imposed censorship.  My view is that there is nothing wrong with a new director taking a fresh look at a story.  I think if we start putting absolute "don'ts" on the artists responsible for making films, we lower the medium as a whole.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
plan9superfan
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2006, 10:20:32 AM »

Did you even WATCH the "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" remake? the 2Fog" remake? The "Assault on Precinct 13" remake? Hell what about the "Swept Away" remake?
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2006, 10:59:19 AM »

You are picking bad ones, and no one is disagreeing that there ARE bad remakes.  But your comments suggest that there are no GOOD remakes either, which is not true.  I only have to provide ONE counter example of your statement "all remakes suck" to disprove it: I use The Thing.  That movie most certainly does NOT suck, on any level.

If there was a 'rule' that no movie is ever remade, there are quite a few very good films that we would not have.  I'm not saying remakes cannot be poorly done; I am saying that your absolute, rigid, stance on remakes is not supported by the facts.

If you do a search on this board, you will find a whole thread (at least one), I believe from 2005 (maybe 2004), devoted to remakes that were as good as or better than the original.  I suggest you read the movies in that list, and then consider the number of very high quality films we would not have if you had your way and no movie was ever remade.

Finally, what's wrong with judging a movie, good or bad, on its OWN merits, not whether or not it/may be a new take on an older story?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
odinn7

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2006, 11:25:33 AM »

I think the amount of remakes being done is out of hand lately and some seem to only have the name in common with the original movie but ulthar is right. There are some good ones out there and his example of The Thing is dead on. One of the best movies ever...never mind that it's a remake.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
LH-C
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2006, 01:56:58 PM »

Ok - about remakes - My Opinion -

1) There are good remakes - once in awhile.
2) If a book is being made into a movie it's fair game to be adapted as much as anyone wants to do it, but there have been some very bad adaptations of books.

The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2006, 03:24:42 PM »

I agree that some remakes are good.  In fact, a few of them are better than the originals.  Movie remakes are sort of like song remakes, I guess.  Just another person's interpretation of the same material.  In general, though, I'd rather see something "new" as opposed to a remake.  (Although, aren't just about all stories basically reworkings of older stories?)

Question:  If they remake movies and they remake songs, why don't they remake books?  For instance, why hasn't someone rewritten WAR AND PEACE "their own way"?????

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
plan9superfan
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2006, 04:25:33 AM »

"The Thing" was made in the '80s. I was talking about remakes NOW.

Current remakes are a far cry from John Carpenter's work.
odinn7

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2006, 08:20:59 AM »

^ ^ ^ You didn't say that before...you said all remakes suck...ALL remakes...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2006, 07:06:21 PM »

Ulthars point on "remakes" is valid. Thinking about all the Dracula stories that have been remade/revised. Dracula is a genre all it's own. Does anyone know how many Dracula films have been made? I don't know but I enjoy seeing each one. Maybe Dracula and a few other stories are exceptions, but Ulthar makes a good point about Noserfatu.

plan9superfan
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2006, 08:49:14 AM »

I meant to say that all 90s/2000s remakes suck.
Fearless Freep

« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2006, 09:12:05 AM »

I thought the Peter Jackson version of Lord Of The Rings was better than the Ralph Bakshi version....

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
plan9superfan
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2006, 09:45:32 AM »

That is the exception that proves the rule.
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2006, 09:59:29 AM »

Just think....

40 years from now Trek_geezer and probably Burgomaster will be dead or in their 90's and we'll all still be hunched over this antique message board stabbing keys with rickety old fingers complaining about how they recently remade "The Truman Show" and "Saving Private Ryan".

:)
peter johnson

« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2006, 02:23:40 AM »

This is an '80's example, so suspect, but I do think that the remake of The Blob is superior to the Steve McQueen original --
peter johnson/denny crane

I have no idea what this means.
Fearless Freep

« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2006, 08:29:33 AM »

40 years from now

40 years from now we're going to be saying that the remakes are not as good as the ones that had been done 20 years ago..which we will have forgotten were not the originals...

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Aging of Movies......................... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.