Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:39:19 PM
713356 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Charles Band « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Charles Band  (Read 2434 times)
Alan Smithee
Bad Movie Lover

« on: March 24, 2006, 12:31:08 AM »

Where would we be without him?
Fearless Freep
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2006, 05:52:05 AM »

I'd have many wasted hours of my life back.....and it wouldn't have been nearly as fun

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2006, 12:12:37 PM »

We'd probably be in the same place that we'd be in without:

* Harry Novak
* Jerry Gross
* Sam Sherman
* Wade Williams
* K. Gordon Murray

And a whole bunch of other people who contributed to the greatness of the B-movie industry.

I salute them all!

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2006, 09:56:06 PM »

He does make some movies that seem to strike a cord with viewers like us.  However, they never have the depth that many of Corman's old movies used to.  Stuff like "Arena" or some of the "Puppet Master" films are shallow, but entertaining.  

Mr. Band has also had a tendency to run film companies for a while, then they go bust.  Afterwards, he starts up a new company and goes through the cycle all over again.  From what I have seen, it is becoming a system of diminishing returns.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
StatCat
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2006, 01:15:57 AM »

Charles Bands intentions were good in the beginning but later just ended up to be total crap. I remember participating in a chat session with him back in about 1998, if anyone can track down a transcript of it I'd be very interested to read it again. Also have Band's autograph a couple of times thanks to my dedication to full moon pictures before they became absolute garbage.

-----------------------------------------------------
Wear a suit and tie when I'd rather sit and die
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2006, 07:48:13 PM »

I think the difference in Band's and Corman's films is this:

Corman often took a concept, like power corrupting, and created a movie around it.

Band often makes a movie, then inserts a message into it.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Scottie
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2006, 12:24:36 AM »

Andrew wrote:

"I think the difference in Band's and Corman's films is this:
Corman often took a concept, like power corrupting, and created a movie around it.
Band often makes a movie, then inserts a message into it."
>>
>>
>>

So, the main difference is that Corman already had an idea for his film and never had to rationalize it because it was always there, while Band on the other hand always had to rationalize his films because they never had a good idea to begin with? Is he the guy who started Full Moon Productions? Or was it distribution? Yeah, those movies were terrible! After about 1995, the quality dropped to zero as they started to fill a lot of space with filler. It kind of reminds me of the filmmaking style of Godfrey Ho over in the Phillipines. He'd buy one movie, cut it up, add his own little story, and paste it back together and repackage it as a kung fu film. It looks like Ho's kung fu is Band's sci-fi. How revolting.

___<br />Spongebob: What could be better than serving up smiles? <br />Squidward: Being Dead.
raj

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2006, 01:28:27 PM »

Yes, Scottie, Charles Band started Full Moon.  It has resurrected of sorts, here:
http://www.fullmoondirect.com/

He did have some good ideas -- the Subspecies set (though the little demons in first one were poorly done) and the Puppet Master set (though the puppets were evil to begin, then became good.  Huh?)
Execution was uneven.  Full Moon I think was also somehow involved with a softcore company (Seduction Cinema? Surrender Cinema? one of the two.  I'm at the reference desk right now, can't google it.)

There is a certain charm about the movies, decent f/x, o.k. plots, uneven acting & directing; in other words, perfect bad movies.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Charles Band « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.