Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:10:06 AM
714351 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Books that I wish they would make into movies « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Books that I wish they would make into movies  (Read 6792 times)
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: March 27, 2006, 10:05:33 AM »

I have read some excellent books that I think would translate well to the big scree.  However, for some reason, they haven't been made into movies.  Two examples are:

INCIDENT AT 20 MILE - This was written by Trevanian (the author of THE EIGER SANCTION).  It's a western about a clever, ruthless killer who escapes from prison and then terrorizes a small, secluded town.  It has some great characters and dialogue, and the suspense and violence are relentless.  The thing that makes it interesting is that the author used a real town and some historical information about real people who lived there, and then built his fictional story around it.  The book is nearly impossible to put down once you start reading it.

DIRTY WHITE BOYS - This was written by Stephen Hunter (actually, I have read 3 or 4 of his books and they would ALL make good movies).  It's about 3 guys who escape from prison and go on a rampage of murder and violence.  Again, an unbelievably quick read, loaded with vivid characters.  A few years ago I read that the author had optioned this book to Hollywood, but it must still be in production hell.

Do you have any favorites that you would like to see on the big screen?

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
onionhead
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006, 03:50:49 AM »

Ah, if somebody could do a good turn on Simon's Soul, THAT would be something.
I' d also like to see a decent rendering of Donaldson's The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever--ooooooooh, waynhims, ur-viles, and the detestable Lord Foul.

Some people like cupcakes better--I for one care less for them
Fearless Freep

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006, 05:13:19 AM »

And of Donaldson's books...The Mirror books or I'd really like to see the Gap series done well visually

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
daveblackeye15

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006, 05:20:37 AM »

I guess the rest of the Harry Potter series.

Ummm.

I need to expand my reading.

Now it's time to sing the nation anthem IN AMERICA!!!

Bandit Keith from Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged Series (episode 12)
plan9superfan
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2006, 07:00:55 AM »

Say, has anyone made a movie about Stephen King's "Roadwork"?

That is the one King book that I actually WANT to see in film.
odinn7

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2006, 08:28:51 AM »

They Thirst

It's a vampire book that I read a long time ago. My older sister used to be into reading horror books by King and Koontz and I would now and then pick them up and start reading. One day she had this book called They Thirst (not sure by who) and I started reading it...I couldn't stop. I always thought if it was done right, it would make for an excellent movie.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2006, 12:11:17 AM »

I've only read three books in the last fifteen years; "How to Win Friends & Influence People" by Dale Carnegie, "Lasher" by Anne Rice, and the 12x12.

From what I got out of it, I've always wanted to read the rest os the Dale Carnegie series, but ya can't make that into a movie, & the 12x12 is a little more fun to do it yourself than watch other people doing it, So I guess I'm stuck with Lasher.

I believe Lasher was part of a series by Anne Rice, which I always thought would make a cool late night cable TV series, even though I don't have cable. But it would have to be on one of the premium channels so they could leave in the dirty stuff.

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
Rombles
Dedicated Viewer

Stupid fat hobbit...

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2006, 06:08:28 AM »

I recently read a book called Dragonkeeper, set in ancient China, about a slave-girl who becomes the keeper of the last imperial dragon.  Great story, I read it in one (very late!) night, and all I could think of through it was how much I would love to see Weta do a dragon.

Brrrrrrrraaaaaaiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnsssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!
plan9superfan
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2006, 06:09:39 AM »

That book sounds like a rip-off of the movie "Dragonheart", only set in China...
onionhead
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2006, 07:44:39 PM »

Or how about the dictionary?

Some people like cupcakes better--I for one care less for them
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2006, 08:07:05 PM »

What I can think of are mostly short stories.  A number of them could be turned into interesting movies, but the choice of directors would matter a lot.

The Man Who Walked Home - maybe Luc Besson

Slime - no idea, maybe John Carpenter as he was in the mid 1980s.

Days of Solomon Gursky - Spielberg, oddly enough.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Vermin Boy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2006, 08:14:06 PM »

ELECTRIC JESUS CORPSE, by Carlton Mellick III - The story of Jesus and his disciples, set in a post-apocalyptic future overrun by zombies. The book is separated into 12 interweaving stories, one for each disciple, each of whom has some sort of quirk (Judas is an alien zombie-killer, Thaddeus is a hardcore punk, John is a pimp), and most of whom hate Jesus (who himself is a disco stud). It'd obviously attract controversy, and would probably have to be scaled down for an inevitably low budget (the book is something like 500 pages, though its tough to say, as they aren't numbered), but it has the potential to be a true b-classic. I definitely recommend tracking down the book-- it's one of the most hilariously messed-up books I've read in a while.

-Vermin Boy

My site: The Vermin Cave
My band: The Demons of Stupidity
?????: ?????
loyal1
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2006, 09:53:31 PM »

You know what book would make a cool moveie...how about Silence of the Lambs by Thomas Harris or maybe that book by MJario Puzo...what's the name of it agin?  Oh yes The Godfather.  That would be a good movie, but I think they should cut out that stuff about sunny's mistress Lucy and her big box and that affair with the doctor.  Then it would be a perfect adaptation!

But in all seriousness, I would actually like to see Brainchild done by John Saul.  And I would LOVE to see a really great adaptation on Phillip K. Dick's life.
loyal1
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2006, 10:52:03 PM »

"Joshua Son on None" I read it in high school about 14 years ago it begins the day JFK was shot and some doctors keep apart of his brain and clone him, and try to raise him EXACTLY the same way as JFK....interesting book really, I should read it again.
odinn7

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2006, 11:11:39 PM »

One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Books that I wish they would make into movies « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.