Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:42:31 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  You Only Live Twice (1967) « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: You Only Live Twice (1967)  (Read 11195 times)
Scott
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« on: March 28, 2006, 12:50:16 AM »

YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE (1967) - Watched this for the first time. Saw a part of it many years ago. This is a nice Bond film. Bond has to become Japanese and enters a Ninja school. The most interesting thing about this film is that most of it is spoofed in AUSTIN POWERS and instead of Mike Myers you get Donald Pleasence as the bald grey suited evil dude with the cat who rides around in egg shaped transports. Also the space scenes are copied in AUSTIN POWERS only they use a giant Bobs Big Boy to swallow the ship. Didn't know about the obvious link between the two movies till yesterday. The film played on AMC yesterday. By the way the Bond movie is also fun.

daveblackeye15

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006, 01:10:36 AM »

One of my favorites since it was the first Sean Connery Bond film ,and also the third ever, watched. Mie Hama as Kissy Suzuki is one of my favorite Bond girls. Yowza!

Great battle at the end also.

Now it's time to sing the nation anthem IN AMERICA!!!

Bandit Keith from Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged Series (episode 12)
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006, 06:54:41 AM »

When I was a kid, this was my favorite Bond movie (for awhile).  I think I liked it so much because of the massive ninja attack at the end.  Over the years, it has slipped lower on my list of Bond favorites.  Right now, GOLDFINGER is my favorite.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
plan9superfan
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006, 06:59:24 AM »

Sean Connery rules, Daniel Craig drools!
dean

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2006, 08:36:34 AM »

I enjoyed it, but couldn't get my head around the changes from the book to the movie [the book was my favourite in the Bond series and was much different]

Also, Goldfinger is still my favourite Connery Bond film as well.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2006, 08:50:13 AM »

Scott, Donald Pleasance's character's name is Ernst Blofeld, founder of SPECTRE (that's the Special Executive for Counterintelligence , Terrorism, Revenge, and Extortion).

Blofeld has also been played by Telly Savales and Max Von Sydow. I can't remember which one it was in but Roger Moore once hooked Blofeld's wheelchair on a helicopter skid and dropped him down a smoke stack.  Does anybody remember which movie that was in?

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2006, 09:12:29 AM »

Trek Geezer:

That movie was FOR YOUR EYES ONLY.

And don't forget that Blofeld was also played by Charles Gray in DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER.  Interestingly, Gray played a different character (a good guy) in another Bond film.  It might have been YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE!

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2006, 09:22:33 AM »

trek_geezer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> in but Roger Moore once hooked Blofeld's
> wheelchair on a helicopter skid and dropped him
> down a smoke stack.  Does anybody remember which
> movie that was in?

I think it was For Your Eyes Only.

You Only Live Twice is one of my favourite Bond films, because it has almost everything a Bond film should have -- megalomaniacal villain with plan for world domination, gigantic secret fortress full of high-tech stuff, lots of cool gadgets (like the gyrocopter), combination of detective work and wide variety of fighting (guns, helicopters, army of ninjas), sexy girls and exotic settings. The Connery Bond was also a perfect combination of tough guy and playboy. All this movie really lacks is a henchman with a cool gimmick. That and a chance for Bond to spar with the villain in a social setting early on. Blofeld is, of course, not a public figure like some of the other villains.

But really, this movie is stylish and fun, and a fine example of what the more recent Bond films are doing wrong.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Scott

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2006, 09:23:57 AM »

Kissy Suzuki was nice and so was the other female. Also liked the later Pierce Bronson one with Michelle Yeoh.

Scott

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2006, 09:25:28 AM »

Yep, YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE really did have a lot of everything.

daveblackeye15

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2006, 12:37:32 PM »

When I first read the book I was surprised by how much of it was different. Though I didn't usually apprecaite a book with less action back then I still liked the book.

Now it's time to sing the nation anthem IN AMERICA!!!

Bandit Keith from Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged Series (episode 12)
Neville

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2006, 02:37:58 PM »

No my favourite Bond by any stretch, but lots of campy fun to be had. Connery in (pseudo)Japanese makeup? Check. Gadchets? Check Big battle at the end? Check Ninjas? Sure as hell!!

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2006, 03:52:04 PM »

And this was years before ninjas became popular. It was on the cutting edge, to use an irritating cliche AND a bad pun.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
plan9superfan
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2006, 05:36:15 PM »

Sean Connery is the one true Bond, all the others (including Daniel Craig) are wannabes.
Neville

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2006, 05:56:10 PM »

Oh, c'on! There's at least one good Bond movie for every actor that played him, that makes them all (including that Australian dude) decent Bonds in my book. About Craig, he was great on "Layer Cake", so I think he'll do just fine.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  You Only Live Twice (1967) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.