Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 10:04:54 AM
714153 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7732 Members
Latest Member: Larryfiste
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Oh no, another list! This time: 50 Greatest Indie Films « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Oh no, another list! This time: 50 Greatest Indie Films  (Read 8313 times)
trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

We're all just victims of circumstance

« on: April 04, 2006, 01:04:47 PM »

Don't worry, there are a lot of our favorites here so most of the arguments will be about their numerical order.

Empire's 50 Greatest Independent Films

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
raj

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 01:24:56 PM »

I've only seen 8 of them:
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Mad Max
Nosferatu (have DVD)
She's Gotta Have It
Night of the Living Dead (have DVD)
Monty Python's Life of Brian (have DVD)
Clerks
The Terminator
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2006, 03:09:54 PM »

raj Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've only seen 8 of them:

Then I would recommend:

Sex, Lies and Videotape
The Blair Witch Project (of interest at LEAST due to the way it was made..no script, just 'story points').
Slacker (if you ever lived in a college town, this is a MUST - I knew people like the ones in this flick).

Also, glad to see Darkstar made the list.

I personally did not care for "She's Gotta Have It," but I can see the artsy types going for it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
odinn7

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2006, 08:24:15 PM »

What? Mad Max wasn't number 1? I am outraged!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
Vermin Boy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2006, 12:04:04 AM »

I'm pretty sure I've seen this list before. The main problem I have with it is how loose a definition of "independent" they use-- Slick, Miramax-y productions are put right alongside truly homemade stuff. Sideways may be "independent" by Hollywood standards, but it's not truly independent in the same sense as, say, Bad Taste or Pink Flamingos.

That said, there are some interesting choices on there-- I probably wouldn't have thought to include Life of Brian, which is a truly interesting case of circumventing the system (no studios would touch it and the Pythons were about to give up, when George Harrison gave them all the money he needed because he wanted to see it).

Also, I know it's not a favorite around these parts, but Billy Jack really should be on there. And where the hell is Russ Meyer?

-Vermin Boy

My site: The Vermin Cave
My band: The Demons of Stupidity
?????: ?????
LH-C
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2006, 10:11:07 AM »

I'm really surprised that none of John Cassevetes' movies got onto the list. If you have seen any of his stuff, for the most part they are different than the bigger Hollywood movies he acted in.

daveblackeye15

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2006, 08:21:29 PM »

Good to see Mad Max and the Blair Witch Project are on there.

Clerks was funny as hell too.

Now it's time to sing the nation anthem IN AMERICA!!!

Bandit Keith from Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged Series (episode 12)
akiratubo

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2006, 08:31:50 PM »

I haven't seen most of those.  I won't argue about placement, since "top" lists are all bulls**t, anyway.

Here are a few comments on some of the movies I have seen.

The Usual Suspects is just another crime movie.  The only thing it has going for it is the attempt at a twist ending ... the nature of which was obvious for the entire running time.

Clerks = s**t.  I wouldn't even wipe my ass with that movie.

The Blair Witch Project is a total failure as a movie.  Its marketing strategy deserves all the credit.

Lone Star is 100% filler.  And it's a long damned movie, too.

Mad Max was raw filmmaking.  It showed you what you needed to see.  Period.  More movies should follow this example.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
ulthar

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2006, 09:15:18 PM »

akiratubo Wrote:
>
> The Blair Witch Project is a total failure as a
> movie.  Its marketing strategy deserves all the
> credit.
>

My observation about TBWP is either you really liked it or you hated it.  I liked it, and disagree that is it was a total failure as a movie.  Granted, I laughed through most of it when seeing it at the theatre.  I was laughing because I was having FUN.  It was a FUN movie unlike anything I had seen before, or at least in a LONG time.

That's what I liked about it.  It was new - original - at least in its genre.  Pretty much improv: give the actors an index card with what is supposed to happen and let them go at it.  That kind of thing, at any level, is very risky.  I think it worked, as a fun movie (and yes, I do have my own copy of it); a lot of folks thought it did not work.

I sometimes wonder why the negative reaction is so strong, though.  Is it because it was marketed as 'it might be real' when during the film it is obvious it is just a movie?  (I mean come on, multiple catch lights in the pupils during night scenes?)  Well, if that's all it is, we should just throw away almost any horror film.  The marketing tag lines are always hype.

Anybody remember the one that goes "if this one doesn't scare you, you're already dead"?  My best friend turned to me halfway through it and said "I must be dead."

I guess with most horror movies we are asked to suspend disbelief 'just enough' to get into it.  Haunted house movie?  Well, many don't believe in ghosts but still like ghost stories.  Alien movie?  Many don't believe in ETL, but still like to see ET ripping the guts out of some whiney sap on a spaceship. But TBWP asked you to BELIEVE and view it as if it were real. It's not the first film I've seen do that, and they all pretty much 'fail' at that aspect (Wasn't there a Sasquatch movie like that ... shot like a documentary?).

So, my point is that I liked TBWP because it WAS different; if you want the big Hollywood exec types to take a risk once in a while and not churn out the same old mindless, formulaic drivel, maybe we, the consumers, should be a little more supportive of indies that take chances and stray from the beaten path.   At least supportive enough to say "hey, I liked that they took some chances here."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--Real Genius
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2006, 06:35:26 AM »

Speaking of The Blair Witch Project...
I just bought the Special Edition of it for $4.88 in the Wal-Mart cheap bin.

I watched it two days ago and hadn't seen it in at least 5 years or so.
I loved it then and I still love it now.

The scene when the tent starts shaking like crazy and they all run out into the woods screaming was truly horrifying.

Awesome film!  :)
plan9superfan
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2006, 11:09:22 AM »

If you think about it, Mel Gibson wouldn't be in the same place he is today if it weren't for "Mad Max".
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2006, 12:02:05 PM »

I thought Star Wars was considered an independent film, and it's not on the list?

Anyway, as for the discussion of The Blair Witch Project, here's my two cents worth (Spoilers a-comin'):

It didn't really work for me. I rented it, turned off all the lights to enhance the spooky factor, and watched. The acting was quite good. It was ever so slightly over the top, but excellent for a film made on this level. I was impressed that they even showed a crying person with a snot-filled nose, just like it really happens (I can't think of any other movies that use this little touch, can you?) The mood of the film is nicely set with the creepy twig figures. In other words, there are some good elements to the movie. But ultimately, it's a movie about a psycho in the woods, not a witch, and that just ruins it for me. If the psycho were presented as though he thought he was the Blair Witch, it might work. But he isn't. There's a huge build-up about the legend of the Blair Witch, complete with weird twig men appearing, a sign that the witch is on the prowl, and then, suddenly, there's no witch; it's just Jason Voorhees on vacation. With all the hullaballoo raised by the wiccan community over the negative stereotyping of witches, you'd think there would at least be a witch in the movie.

It was a relatively original presentation, but the story just wasn't that scary as far as movies go. If I were in that situation, I'd probably need to change my pants quite often. However, watching it on the screen, it just didn't do it for me.

(Spoilers a-came and a-went).

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
daveblackeye15

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2006, 07:08:06 PM »

*spoilers for the Blair Witch Project*

I think the Blair Witch is up for interpetation, some people see as whatever is in those woods is the Blair Witch or some Jason like guy.

I believe it was supernatural.

The legend went that this man killed 7 kids, didn't the crew come across seven piles of rocks then later three piles of rocks? I think that whatever shook their tent in the middle of the night (creepy scene btw) might have been the spirit of the seven children doing it, those brats!

That's just how I saw it.

Now it's time to sing the nation anthem IN AMERICA!!!

Bandit Keith from Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged Series (episode 12)
ulthar

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2006, 08:45:09 PM »

Right.  That's the way I always saw it, too - that the entity in the woods was not 'of this world.'  I've watched that movie many times, and I never even had the thought that it was some serial killer or Jason type character.

In fact, that's the first time I've ever heard that interpretation.  Like I said before, it's one of those films that garners a love-it or hate-it without much middle ground.

And, you have to give it props for this, a notable distinction (from IMDB )

This film was in the Guinness Book Of World Records for "Top Budget:Box Office Ratio" (for a mainstream feature film). The film cost $22,000 to make and made back $240.5 million, a ratio of $1 spent for every $10,931 made.

--Real Genius
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2006, 10:16:29 PM »

Derf Wrote:
> I was impressed that they
> even showed a crying person with a snot-filled
> nose, just like it really happens (I can't think
> of any other movies that use this little touch,
> can you?)

In the copilation flick "Terror in the Aisles", there's a scene which I believe is from "Klute" (1971), in which Jane Fonda is listening to an audio recording of a freind's murder and starts to cry, and her nose starts gushing like a busted radiator.

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Oh no, another list! This time: 50 Greatest Indie Films « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.