Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:38:21 AM
713325 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Oh no, another list! This time: 50 Greatest Indie Films « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Oh no, another list! This time: 50 Greatest Indie Films  (Read 8262 times)
ulthar
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2006, 11:17:28 AM »

Huh? The Blair Witch Project is a MOVIE.  I guess I don't understand your distinction between OUR WORLD and MOVIE WORLD.  It seems like an arbitrary difference that you apply at will.

Though the Blair Witch Project was marketed as if it were real, it's still just a movie.  Just because it was done with no script does not make it real or any more part of "our world" than fictional movies shot to look like documentaries (I know there are others, but the only one I can think of at the moment is Sasquatch, The Legend of Bigfoot, which I saw when I  was 12 years old and thought was real at the time).

But whatever.  That's part of the fun of a flick like Blair Witch - you get to fill in your own gaps.  This conversation reminds me somewhat of those endless nights my friends and I used to discuss The Wall and all its meanings, twists and turns.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Alan Smithee
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2006, 01:25:14 PM »

Pretty good list. But where's Jodorowsky's 'Santa Sangre', 'Holy Mountain', and 'Santa Sangre'?

Those movies are the mother of all indie movies.

I guess cult movies and indie movies are 2 different things.

Was 'Repo Man' and 'Blue Velvet' on there?
odinn7

« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2006, 03:19:03 PM »

plan9superfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>And guess what? In the
> real world, witches are fictional, but insane
> murderers are VERY real.

Honestly, you are somewhat closed minded with this statement...it depends on your definition of "witch" as I know there are plenty in the real world. Perhaps they are not what you are thinking of...green skinned with worts on their noses and flying on brooms with fantastic powers...but the fact is, "witches" do exist.

I have to agree with Ash and ulthar...very well made points on this film. I didn't like it much when it came out because of all the hype surrounding it and how everyone I knew wanted to argue with me that it was real but for what it was, it was a well made movie.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
akiratubo

« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2006, 07:35:55 PM »

ulthar Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>I guess I don't understand your distinction between OUR
> WORLD and MOVIE WORLD.  It seems like an arbitrary
> difference that you apply at will.

Psst ... he's just trolling you.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Fearless Freep

« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2006, 08:10:21 PM »

Where's "Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter".  That was a *lot* of fun

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2006, 10:15:19 PM »

The first few times I saw Zelig, I thought it was real, then one day I was watching it with my mom, & she suggested that I read the closing credits. Boy, did I feel stupid.

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
dean

« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2006, 04:11:09 AM »

Heh, all this talk reminds me of Jackson's co-production of 'Forgotten Silver' which he made with
Costa Botes which was a 'documentary' on Colin McKenzie, the 'lost' New Zealand director who basically came up with a whole lot of revolutionary filmmaking ideas back in the early 1900s before anyone else, but just wasn't recognised for it because noone knew about him until somebody 'found' his footage.

Forgotten Silver was a made for tv fake documentary which had supposedly real footage of McKenzie's exploits, and screened on TV as a documentary instead of a fake [they revealed it was fake only shortly after, when it became apparent that some people still thought it was real, even after watching it.]

It even had appearances from Leonard Maltin, Harvey Wientstien and Sam Neal, among others, to give it an air of authenticity.

It's an interesting little doco really, and just a bit of fun.  Even more so when you consider that quite a few people thought it was real!

But yeah, carry on...

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
plan9superfan
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2006, 06:35:29 AM »

Yeah, but Jesus should NOT have shaved his long hair and beard in that movie. Those are his trademark looks.

Shaved Jesus looked more like Connor MacLeod than the son of God.
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2006, 11:55:10 AM »

Okay, I thought of a couple of other works that were at least staged to appear real:

Not a movie, but the radio show of War of the Worlds was believed real by a lot a people.

And This is Spinal Tap was a real-like staging of a documentary, but I don't think anyone believed it was real.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Fearless Freep

« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2006, 12:13:42 PM »

Should add in "Six String Samurai" as a great indie movie

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Oh no, another list! This time: 50 Greatest Indie Films « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.