Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:39:41 AM
713327 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Final Countdown (1981) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Final Countdown (1981)  (Read 2497 times)
Alan Smithee
Bad Movie Lover

« on: April 06, 2006, 11:30:13 PM »

I somehow felt compelled to see this movie. In short, the aircraft carrier is the best thing about the movie. All Kirk Douglas does is pace around and bark orders. Martin Sheen just stands around. And the rest (aside from Charles Durning) are non-actors contributing nothing to the movie. The ending is anticlimatic. The timewarp storm conviently shows up to send everyone back home.

Skip it.
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2006, 03:34:22 AM »

This is the one where the aircraft carrier gets sucked in by a big spiral singularity and goes back in time right?
Don't they pit F-14's against Japanese Zero's?
Neville

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2006, 04:22:38 AM »

True. But then they realize they don't have enough budget to stop the Pearl Harbor attack and the captain decides not to interfere with historical events. I remember this film, it is moderately entertainning but little else. Don Taylor's filmmaking, to make things worse, is too stale and TV-like, despite the big names in the cast.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Fearless Freep

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2006, 04:38:26 AM »

The best part was the Tomcats against the Zeros...

Ending was anticlimactic

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2006, 05:39:52 AM »

I bought this DVD when it was released a year or two ago.  I agree - - it's mildly entertaining at times, but mostly pretty dull.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Dr. Whom

Cthulhu for president! Why choose the lesser evil?

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2006, 07:17:57 AM »

I watched it way back when it first came out, and even then I found it anticlimactic. Still plenty of shots of Navy jets, though.

"Once you get past a certain threshold, everyone's problems are the same: fortifying your island and hiding the heat signature from your fusion reactor."

Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! ... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2006, 06:12:30 PM »

This used to be a favourite of mine, back when I was a kid of 12 or so, and it was first airing on TV. Time travel, cool black hole looking storm, big ship. That was all I needed.

Granted, I was less impressed the last time I saw it, but I still think it was one of the more interesting depictions of time travel in the movies. You don't find too many stories based on the idea that things only happen once, and the time travellers were always part of history. And I can't think of another movie that has it (Planet of the Apes kind of went in that direction, I guess). Movie time travel is mostly of the Back to the Future variety of rewriting history, which is great as a fun plot device, but would be really problematic in a serious movie. The thing I liked about The Final Countdown was that, for all the effort made to change things, they always turned out exactly as they were supposed to, despite and even because of those efforts. The storm's reappearance at the end was no cop out, but necessary to the plot. If they had gotten to Pearl Harbor, that would have defeated the whole point of the movie.

I liked the way time travel was presented (even if it means the future is also set, when you think about it), and I liked the cute little twist at the end. It's not the greatest movie, but I have a soft spot for it.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2006, 05:10:42 PM »

I, for one, saw it when it first came out, and I enjoyed it. Of course, I haven't seen it since, so I don't know what my opinion of it would be some 25 years later.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Final Countdown (1981) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.