Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:24:48 PM
713372 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Captain Eo « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Captain Eo  (Read 2007 times)
Alan Smithee
Bad Movie Lover

« on: April 08, 2006, 01:10:25 PM »

I think it was back in the mid-late 80's Francis Ford Coppola DIRECTED (!) a Michael Jackson sci-fi short movie that was to be apart of a Disney theme ride or something? It might have been in 3-D.

Is this nugget available anywhere?

I don't know why, but for the last 20 years or so I wanted to this little masterpiece. It certainly had to be the nadir of Coppola's career.
plan9superfan
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2006, 06:51:41 AM »

MICHAELK JACKSON KICKS ASS!

"Captain Eo" was a 4-D "ride-film". That is, a short movie that makes you feel that you are living the movie, instead of watching it.

Hence, getting it on DVD or VHS would ruin the whole mood (and point) of the movie.

Disney World  no longer shows it, but it has other "ride films".

In Epcot Center, there is "Honey, I Shrunk the Audience". In there, taking place after "Honey I Blew Up the Kid" but before "Honey, We Shrunk Ourselves", you are ata scientific convention that will show you how Wayne Szalinski's shrink ray works. Unfortunately, something goes wrong and you get shrunk to action figure size!

In Disney MGM Studios, there is "Muppet 4-D Theater". In there, you are the guest of honor in a very special edition of  The Muppet Show as Dr. Bunsen Honeydew and Beaker unveil their lastes invention: the first computer-animated muppet! Waldorf and Statler are seated in the blacony next to you, and The Swedish Chef watches you from the projection booth.

In Animal Kingdom, there is "It's Tough to be a Bug". There, you get shrunk to bug size as Flik and the cast of "A Bug's Life" shows you how life is for bugs, and why bugs desrve respect too.

In Universal Studios, there is "Terminator 3-D: Battle Across Time". Taking place after "Terminator 2: Judgement Day" but before "Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines", you join Sarah Connor, John Connor and the T-800 Terminator as they battle Skynet's evil machines all across time.

Also, there is "Shrek 4-D". Taking place before the first movie but after the second movie, you join Shrek, Donkey and Princess Fiona as they battle the ghost of Lord Farquaad, who came back from the grave to enact his revenge on our heroes (and you, of course).

peter johnson
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2006, 10:24:00 PM »

Don't know what "4-D" is/means --
I remember I saw "Eo" in the same building as the Space Mountain ride in Disneyland proper, Anamheim, California, back in '87 or so.  I was out working on a play & the producer took us all there one day as a treat.
I remember that the 3-D effect of the little bug thing that flew out of the screen was pretty cool, but the film itself . . . good lord . . .
I remember Jackson's voice, which was that of a small pre-teen girl.  We were asked to accept that this mincing elf was the commander of a spaceship.  No way.  Nope.  Sorry . . .
The acting was very bad, the story was cheesy, the music(!!) and musical dance number were sort of identical to every other Michael Jackson video -- you had the mass dancers of "Thriller", etc. etc.  
Really, the 3-D effects WERE impressive -- very impressive -- but the film sucks sucks sucks, and not in a fun way either.  
Disney should/could bring back the technology or keep working on holographic projection, but if "Eo" is lost to time, it's really only a loss for technical completists.
peter johnson/denny crane

I have no idea what this means.
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2006, 02:30:08 AM »

Taking place before the first movie but after the second movie

I think my head hurts.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Gerry
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2006, 10:23:11 AM »

I saw EO several times at Disneyland and enjoyed it a lot.  Of course I was very young at the time and perhaps too forgiving.  Really it is possibly the only Michael Jackson artifact that I actually liked...that and the "Billy Jean" video.  That was cool.
Shadowphile
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2006, 06:19:37 PM »

I remember seeing the 'Captain Eo' uniform on display somewhere.  It looked so much more impressive in 3D.  And I actually enjoyed the mini-movie/music video....
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2006, 11:42:06 PM »

Coppola directed Jack?  That's disgusting!

plan9superfan sums it up pretty good, as does peter johnson, although they have very different perspectives.  The 3-D was very good.  They used polarized lenses rather than the old blue-red glasses, which makes a world of difference.

If you ever get the chance, I'd second that Muppets movie plan9 mentioned.  That thing was hilarious.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Captain Eo « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.