Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:00:03 AM
713403 Posts in 53060 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Moonwalker « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Moonwalker  (Read 5461 times)
plan9superfan
« on: April 14, 2006, 08:03:52 AM »

I have this movie on VHS, and it RULES!

Being a big Michael Jackson fan, I find it cool to make a movie out of his "Bad" album.

The so-hyped "Smooth Criminal" segment was good, but my favorite is the "Speed Demon" one, with all the fine claymation and celebrity references.

What do you think?
odinn7
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2006, 08:07:37 AM »

I think he should be in jail.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
plan9superfan
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2006, 08:10:16 AM »

I'm talking about Michael Jackson as he was in the '80s, not the sad caricature that he has become now.
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2006, 08:39:08 AM »

Odinn's comment and your reply raise an interesting point: how do the mistakes big stars make influence how we judge their PAST accomplishments?

Michael Jackson is a good example.  There is no doubt that he was very popular twenty years ago.  I wonder how many people are listening to Thriller and older stuff with a different ear now compared to how they did in the 80's.

A very brief list of other potential candidates include:  Kobe Bryant, Russell Crowe and Tom Sizemore.  Plus, I've always been a big Eagles fan, but Don Henley's 'trouble' bubbles to the forefront now whenever I hear his voice (I know this is a poor example, but I cannot help what I think when I hear him).

And there is always the Dixie Chicks.  Does one moment of ill-judgement really nullify the quality of their PAST work?

In a way, I think so.  The Hollywood types, and big stars in music and/or sports, do seem to think they can get away with anything.  But, to pose the counterpoint, these people ARE human, and fallable (whether THEY think so or not).

As for Moonwalker, I have no particular opinion.  I did not like Michael Jackson in the 80's and happen to agree with Odinn for the present.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
plan9superfan
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2006, 09:53:29 AM »

Well, I have both the "Thriller" and "Bad" albums, and I still listen to them on a regulsr basis. I love dancing to the tune of "Smooth Criminal" and "Billie Jean".

The reason why I love Michael is this: he's an 80s icon.

I am a child of the '80s, so I have a fond memory and a predilection for ANYTHING that came from that decade.

The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, He-Man, the Thundercats, Roxette, Ronald Reagan, Queen, the Gremlins, the Real Ghostbusters, long hair girls, Robocop, the Terminator, are all OK in my book.

Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2006, 10:39:55 AM »

ulthar Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And there is always the Dixie Chicks.  Does one
> moment of ill-judgement really nullify the quality
> of their PAST work?
>

You are presuming there is quality there to be nullified.  (Okay, to be fair, I don't think I've ever actually heard one of their songs.)

For the most part, I've made peace with artists (or athletes) of any sort being terrible human beings.  If you are going to start disqualifying their work because they themselves are complete pieces of , well, you're going to find yourself missing out on a whole lot of good stuff.

Or, it's the art that is important, not the artist.  Something society seems to forget in its idolization of celebrity.

Of course, the two are not really separate.  Two of my favorite science fiction books are ENDER'S GAME and SPEAKER FOR THE DEAD, both by Orson Scott Card.  Then, in reading up on Card himself I discovered what an angry bigoted individual he is.  Make no mistake, the man can write with the best of them, but I'll never be able to read his work in the same way again.

Other things just make me sad.  Jeffrey Jones is one of my favorite actors, but he's a pederast.

Let me try to salvage a coherent statement here.  While one can enjoy the art of a disgraced artist, the art itself will always be tainted by their unsavory (and sometimes criminal) actions.  One must take the bad with the good.

Hmmm.  That doesn't seem coherent at all.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
plan9superfan
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2006, 10:51:51 AM »

I tell you this: "Thriller" and "Bad" makes me forgive MJ for whatever mistakes he has made.

By the way, it's a skin disease. The surgeries were made to prevent his face from falling apart completely. He did NOT want to be white.
odinn7

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2006, 10:59:15 AM »

You keep telling yourself that....

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
plan9superfan
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2006, 11:09:26 AM »

If you actually watched the Moonwalker segment "Leave Me Alone", you would know that the media always made a circus out of Michael's life, and tried to put their own negative spin on Michael's excentricities.

He never wanted to become white, that's just another thing the media created when he started to get pale during the "Bad" album DUE TO HIS SKIN DISEASE. then he had several surgeries to keep his face from rotting waycompletely, and then the media saw the opportunity and created the whole "becoming white" story.

He's also NOT a pedophile, he cares for children in the same way Mr. Rogers and C.S. Lewis did. If you are gonna accuse Michael then I might as well start accusing Gene Wilder, Paul Reubens, Captain Kanagroo, and whoever is inside the Barney suit.
Flangepart

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2006, 11:30:54 AM »

Mofo has a good point. I must admit, bad personal behavior has tainted some celebs work for me. The degrees vary, of corse, but it is a n annoyance.
Hummm...
Its because, i think, the strength of personality is part of the actors bag of tricks.
Richard Dryfuss, for example. Loved his character in JAWS, can't stand his ranting about anyone who dosen't kiss his political shoes. It doth irritate.
Naturany, it goes both ways, but still, that strong image building ability, that is how they create a character, when its miss used, become a stumbeling block for later work.
Sad, realy...

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
dean

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2006, 11:56:32 AM »

It is an interesting concept indeed: whether we should judge someone's work/craft by their actions outside of it.

I guess it all depends on who they are and what they do.  People may argue that as public figures they have a responsibility towards the public who will to varying degrees, be affected and influenced by their behaviour.  That's fair enough, but I can't help but not worry about some of it [like I care if a sports star cheated on his wife: if he can play great I don't mind, as long as it's nothing illegal.  Immoral is ok, but illegal... well then it gets tricky!]

For example, the Dixie Chicks: I couldn't give a rats about their music at any stage of their careers, but I don't see why their own personal political opinions should change whether you like their music or not.  On the other hand, if you have an accused/convicted pedophile directing movies which have children running around in their underwear, then you really have to think that it's all kinds of wrong.

Oh and regardless of whether or not he wanted to be white, I couldn't care about Jackson's personal life.  His music is great, sure, but it also doesn't stop me from thinking he's a complete nutter, and it certainly doesn't stop me from laughing at a Michael Jackson 'touches kids' joke.  It may be a sad state of affairs, but as a celebrity you really must be prepared for a backlash in public opinion from certain people: it's that age old mob justice thing I guess, everyone suspects you of being guilty, regardless of whether it's true or not you become guilty to everyone's minds.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
ulthar

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2006, 11:59:13 AM »

plan9superfan Wrote:

>If
> you are gonna accuse Michael then I might as well
> start accusing Gene Wilder, Paul Reubens, Captain
> Kanagroo, and whoever is inside the Barney suit.

*WE* did not accuse Michael Jackson of anything.  The kids he allegedly assaulted did.  There's a big difference.  And, the evidence was there.  Just because he was not convicted, does not mean he did not do it.  The things that came out during that trial are just simply not "innocent" caring for kids kinds of things.

Personally, you could not give me enough money or ANYTHING to let him within 75 feet of my kids.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--Real Genius
Jim H

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2006, 08:22:22 PM »

"Of course, the two are not really separate. Two of my favorite science fiction books are ENDER'S GAME and SPEAKER FOR THE DEAD, both by Orson Scott Card. Then, in reading up on Card himself I discovered what an angry bigoted individual he is. Make no mistake, the man can write with the best of them, but I'll never be able to read his work in the same way again. "

I've read about him before, but none of the stuff he says irritates me enough for it to really bother me in his writing.  The way Catholicism is in Xenocide is seems ludicrous to me, though.  I dunno if that is relevant, it just bugs me everytime I think about it.  That aside, I haven't liked any of his writing too much except for Ender's Game, which I think is one of the best sci-fi books ever written.  Kind of a hard act to follow.  

I do wonder how people who are so bothered by how authors/other celebrities are in their personal lives deal with historical figures.  Can you simply not appreciate any bit of artwork or whatever not made in the past 100 years or so?  Go back to 1650 or earlier, for example, and everyone thinks that slavery is peechy keen - the idea it was wrong didn't really even EXIST.  A lot of the great Greek thinkers, of which modern European thought owes a great deal, are by modern standards (to say the least) of dubious moral quality.  So are a lot of the people who founded the USA.

I'm good at seperating people's work from their private lives, and such things never really bother me.  I guess I'm just lucky in that regard?  

On a side note, what Russel Crowe has done is ridiculously blown out of proportion.  He's a very... Intense, I guess is the word, guy.  There are other less polite adjectives you could use, but getting in a couple fights and hitting someone with a phone aren't enough to make me dislike someone's entire set of works nor think they aren't worthy of my attentions, or worthy as a human being.  
ulthar

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2006, 08:38:52 PM »

Jim H Wrote:
>
> On a side note, what Russel Crowe has done is
> ridiculously blown out of proportion.  

Oh, I agree 100%.  The guy is an incredible actor, too.  I was just using him as an example since my mind was drawing a blank at the moment.

--Real Genius
plan9superfan
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2006, 05:18:43 AM »

Funny that no one talked about the movie "Moonwalker" thus far...
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Moonwalker « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.