Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 02:54:41 AM
712923 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  RED DWARF is Smegin' great... « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: RED DWARF is Smegin' great...  (Read 8531 times)
FLANGEPART
« on: March 20, 2001, 01:21:22 PM »

Any Dwarfers in the land? I've heard something about a Red Dwarf movie, and i hope they don't boot this one. I've seen all but the first three shows,and have no pity for the demise if the Americanised version. Sure, Listers Accent takes some getting used to, but i like the Accents from over the pond. Scot,Irish,brit , i like it. Accent are the iceing on the cake of language, i say...so long as you recconise the words...and i find it part of the fun of British humor. Wot' say you lads?
Gerry
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2001, 01:44:23 PM »

I had heard that they were going to keep the original crew for the movie version, but I think it is stuck in development hell.  Try a search over at AICN and you'll probably find the latest update that way.

Gerry
Stefan Robak
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2001, 01:52:07 PM »

From what I heard, the movie has the shows original cast!  even Better, Jackie Chan has a cameo in which he beats everyone up (according to an interview with Craig Charles in a Sci-Fi megazine.)
Abby
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2001, 12:55:37 AM »

I thought that the last season kinda sucked ... nothing like the previous season, where we were treated to scenes with Ace Rimmer air-surfing on an alligator.

"If you're in trouble he will save the day,
He's brave and he's fearless come what may,
Without him the mission would go astray.

He's Arnold Arnold Arnold Rimmer ..."

After 'Phantom Menace,' I've decided never to get excited about new movie adaptions of beloved classics ever again.
Abby
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2001, 01:04:54 AM »

Oh, and I own the 'American' Red Dwarf pilots ... the ones with Dax from Deep Space Nine as The Cat ... they suck. They really suck. Really really really suck. And honestly, I don't think American tastes are to blame. I think some British entertainment agent who had no idea what 'American Audiences' wanted to see screwed things up. Because every aspect of the American version -- the production values, the jokes, etc. -- were way below the standard of anything shot for the UK Red Dwarf.
flangepart
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2001, 04:01:48 PM »

wow. Glad i haven't seen it. Sound like i might need therapy. Yeah, this is not good. Guess it pays to be scepticle, after George JarJared my mind loose....well,looser then average.  Which show was your favorite? The Waxdroid planet was a hoot, espchualy Listers vengence on rimmer! It's a hard life for Chris B. He has to keep Rimmer liveable for the viewer...like Larry Linville as Frank Burns in M*A*S*H, while still keeping him a Smeghead. Oh, and the British Host of JUNKYARD WARS...its Kriton! Same guy!
Abby
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2001, 04:44:51 PM »

Favorite episode ... that's a tough one. The one with the despair squid (back to reality?) was amazing when it was new.  I always liked that really early episode where Lister marries the old Kochanski. And the early show with Queeg. Legion has a place in my heart, too.

I thought the 'departure' of Rimmer episode (with Ace on the gator), as well as the JFK show, were among the best Red Dwarves ever made. Both were from the next-to-the-most recent season. The first season to air since the Craig Charles/Jail scandel.

I really didn't like the recent shows, though. I salute them for trying something different, but it didn't work. The jokes were stale -- as if they couldn't write for the number of characters they had. Kochanshi was a waste. And so OBVIOUSLY written by a man that it hurt.

I also didn't like the 'Special Edition' Red Dwarf, in which they added terrible CGI effects and cut/edited scenes. They really screwed up some fun episodes, like the one with the Cat and his bible.

One of the only things I'm missing in these days without TV is LEXX. I really enjoyed a good deal of that show for many of the same reasons I liked Red Dwarf. It misses more than Dwarf  (and takes itself too seriously other times) , but I was pretty hooked on Lexx last summer.

I hear that SCI-FI agreed to produce the 'final season.' The characters will all be on earth. I think it's going to suck.
peter johnson
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2001, 04:48:47 PM »

. . .and Craig Charles is still hosting the Robot Wars reruns out here in Colorado . . .
A favorite Dwarf episode?  I can't pick just one, as I have so many that I relish/savor.  Oh, I really like the one(s) where the ship is rebuilt by the robots who revive the old crew from the first episode and the sparrow turns into the Tyrannosaur.  Abby's invocation of Rimmer air-surfing on the 'gator made me recall that one fondly too.
You really should get vids of the first season, as the introduction of Danny Jules as Cat ("oops!  Bettah make m'self look BEEEEG!!") is one of those priceless moments to relive again and again.  Around our house, we frequently say, "How'm I lookin' now?  I'm lookin' NIIIISSSE!!"
As long as Doug Naylor has a hand in whatever film project comes to fruition, I'll watch whoever they cast, for as much as I love the TV show, it really is Naylor's book that started it all.  Everyone read it?  It has a dark and pessimistic ending, quite out of step with the light-heartedness of the show and what went before.
Dwayne Dibly Rules!! Dwayne Dibly Rules!!
The episodes where they think they've been playing an arcade game for 8 years are closest to the actual Naylor book, though Naylor gives a twist to it in his TV script.
Gerry
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2001, 06:20:44 PM »

The "Rimmer World" episode was very disturbing.  Especially when the beautiful maiden removed her veil to reveal...Rimmer!  Ahhh!  I had nightmares for a week over that one!
FLANGEPART
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2001, 06:32:41 PM »

Dear Kochansci...Yeah, she's a looker, and i don't hate the gal,but your right, they just diden't make good use of her. And How about Lister loseing his wits after they went to prison? Thats not like Listy! The Last season had some good gags.,even if the overall tone vaccumed. In "back in the Red" a tiny Star Bug , in a shrinking Red Dwarf, is zipping down a vent shaft. They miss the first Rat..."butt" not the second! I laughed my can off at the Jet Propelled Rodent! A joke that catchs you compleatly by suprise...gotta love it! And hey, what about Holly?I like both versions. Holly is part of the gang too.  I'd like to see Robot Wars, compare it to Battlebots. Did you see the Battlebots finals? Cool beans!  As for Lexx,i never got around to it, but i do like Farscape. Did Chriton ever get around to calling the big guy "Worf" yet? Oh well. It all proves one thing...Comedy is harder to write then the serious stuff. Believe me...i've tried!
Abby
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2001, 07:50:20 PM »

Actually, 'Being John Malkovich' reminded me of the Rimmerworld episode.
Gerry
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2001, 11:47:29 AM »

Abby wrote:
>
> Actually, 'Being John Malkovich' reminded me of the
> Rimmerworld episode.

Oh yeah.  That was creepy too.  But not as nearly as funny as the person who drives by Malkovich on the NJ turnpike and hits him in the head with a beer can!  Malkovich must have some sense of humor!
Smeghead
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2001, 09:28:44 PM »

Damn straight..Red Dwarf is freaking great!!..My favorite episodes would have to be "Chameleon" and SMEG IT!! I forget it's name..the one where the crew is shifting through time and Rimmer sees Lister get fried. Damn That toaster is funny!!! Now if only modern comedians could learn a thing or two from this talented toastmaster!!

It just plain doesn't get any smeging better than Red Dwarf!!
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  RED DWARF is Smegin' great... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.