Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 03:00:00 AM
712924 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Badlands (1973) ***** « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Badlands (1973) *****  (Read 5747 times)
Scott
« on: March 20, 2001, 11:11:33 PM »

Has anyone ever seen the film BADLANDS starring Martin Sheen. I always catch parts of it on tv and I find myself watching this film ever time it comes on. I must have seen it 10 times over the years. Its a great film. It just works so well. Sheen goes on a murder spree in S. Dakota and Montana. Early Natural Born Killers I suppose. Flix just show it tonight. Badlands is tamer than Natural Born Killers, but more effective I believe. If you see it you'll know what I mean.
Will
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2001, 08:24:07 PM »

Wow, what's that doing on this board?  I love "Badlands."  The director, Terrence Mallick, is a philosophy professor who also directed "Days of Heaven" and "The Thin Red Line."  Wonderful cinematography and brilliant editing.  Still, I don't know if this is the forum for "highbrow" movies like that.  As much as I love it, it's no "Frankenhooker....."
Mofo Rising
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2001, 02:35:00 AM »

Let's pull this topic further away from bad movie discussion.  Does anybody know where the phrase "How that be?" actually originates.  I hear it in a lot of movies, and associate it with the deep south, but I don't know where it actually comes from.

Also, did anyone else notice the same music that runs through this movie runs through TRUE ROMANCE too?
peter johnson
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2001, 12:33:45 PM »

Oh, Will, of course it is the proper forum!  I mean, we discuss many good things here as well as bad.  I've brought up Seventh Seal more than once -- perhaps one of the best films ever made.
As far as Badlands go -- This was a thinly veiled retelling of the Charles Starkweather story.  Sissy Spacek is properly etherial as the mindlessly romantic girlfriend.  My wife's grand-uncle Earl was the police officer who finally caught Starkweather in Douglas, Wyoming.  He was stopped for a traffic offense & put up no fight.  They found out who he was back at the  city jail -- a real Andy of Mayberry moment.
Will
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2001, 03:04:48 PM »

Yeah, I guess I'm still sensitive over an argument I got into about 2 years ago on this board about "Eyes Wide Shut"....I do tend to separate 'high cinematic art' from fun, DIY independent (and therefore noble) filmmaking.............though since I consider work like Soavi's "Cemetery Man" high art, my self-imposed separation is somewhat hypocritical.

You were right to call me on it.
Scott
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2001, 11:06:01 AM »

DAYS OF HEAVEN is also a great film. If its the one starring Richard Gere. I didn't know those films were from the same director, though I can see the resemblence of the type films.
Scott
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2001, 11:06:07 AM »

DAYS OF HEAVEN is also a great film. If its the one starring Richard Gere. I didn't know those films were from the same director, though I can see the resemblence of the type films.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Badlands (1973) ***** « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.