Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:42:26 AM
713409 Posts in 53060 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  A few recent viewings « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: A few recent viewings  (Read 1186 times)
trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

We're all just victims of circumstance

« on: April 30, 2006, 11:54:02 AM »

Walk the Line (2005) - Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon do a good job playing Johnny Cash and June Carter. This story covers Cash's life from boyhood to his first concert at Folsom prison.

Looks like Robert Patrick is now making a living playing dead celebrities fathers. He plays Ray Cash in this one and a while back I know he played Vernon Presley in a miniseries about Elvis.

The 40 Year Old Virgin (2005) - Steve Carell plays Andy, a nerdy 40 year old electronic store clerk, who has never had sex. When this becomes public knowledge where he works, his well meaning (but idiotic in my opinion) friends try to rectify the situation. They end up almost messing up his growing relationship with a single mother he really cares about.

There are some really funny scenes and it the humor does tend to be rather crude, but my wife and I really enjoyed this one.

The Out of Towners (1970) - Jack Lemmon and Sandy Dennis portray George and Gwen Kellerman, two of the most hapless travelers you could find. George has and interview for a big time promotion with his plastics company in New York. After their flight from Ohio gets rerouted (after circling the JFK for hours) to Boston things really go down hill. .

Although the situations are funny, I think Lemmon's character is annoying as hell. This one was remade with Steve Martin and Goldie Hawn back in 1999.

Emporer of the North Pole (1973) - Ernest Borgnine is a mean bastard of  a conductor on the No. 19 freight train and no hobo rides his train (unless he wants his head busted). That is until A no.1 (Lee Marvin), a real hero among hobos,  decides to take him on. A very young Keith Carradine tags along as a brash loudmouth who thinks he can outdo Marvin's character.

The movie does a great job of capturing depression era America. There were a lot of homeless, jobless men wandering the country looking for work or just something to eat. My dad actually rode freight trains looking for work in the early 30's and had a lot of funny stories to tell about the experience.

Ernest is Borgnine is an excellent actor and plays mean, sadistic bastards really well (check him out as Sgt. Fatso in From Here to Eternity).  Lee Marvin is...well hell, he's Lee Marvin. Keith Carradine is great as the loudmouthed Cigarett, the kid who fancies himself A no. 1's successor (heck, you'll wonder why Lee didn't throw him off the train sooner).

The Station Agent - Finbar McBride (Peter Dinklage) is man with dwarfism who works restoring model trains. His life is pretty solitary except for work and his friend Henry who runs the hobby shop where he works.

When Henry dies leaving Fin an old abandoned train depot in rural New Jersey, Fin looks forward to life of solitary bliss.

What he finds are Joe (Bobby Cannavale), a full a life guy who's running his Dad's mobile coffee shop, and Olivia (Patricia Clarkson) a separated artist who lost her young son and almost runs Fin down with her car twice in the same day.

This is one of those great little films that IFC shows. It's a story about three lonely people who find each other and become friends. A slice of life film about people that's funny and poignant. We really enjoyed it and  I recommend it if you like this kind of film.    

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Scott
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2006, 04:47:26 PM »

Been wanting to see THE 40 YEAR OLD VIRGIN and WEDDING CRASHERS

EMPORER OF THE NORTH is a great film. I have seen it many times and watch it every time it comes on TV. Left quite an impression on my as a kid. One of those film stories you don't forget. It's just a stand out kind of film.

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  A few recent viewings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.