Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:31:33 AM
714212 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  All quiet on the Western Front (1930) and Attack! (1956). « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: All quiet on the Western Front (1930) and Attack! (1956).  (Read 1430 times)
Neville
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: June 15, 2006, 05:21:38 PM »

Things I learned - War movies are addictive.

As you know, I've been watching tons of war films lately. I started with present day, mainstream stuff, but now I'm making my way into more obscure -or classic- movies. Here's two good ones:

All quiet on the western front (1930)

Not knowing the novel in which is based, I was shocked at how well this movie's message feels fresh today, more than 75 years later. It's a great anti.war movie about a bunch of late teenagers that are convinced by their teacher to enlist on WWI. Soon they discober war is not exactly what they were promised. Instead of glory, patriotism and opportunities for heroism soon they are stuck in the front with few food or water, surrounded by filth and rats and risking gruesome death every time they leave their trenches.    

The movie is maybe a bit too long (it's 130 minutes), but Lewis Milestone filmmaking is nothinbg short of fantastic, fresh, inventive and moving things fast enough, even for modern viewers. I was astonished at the sheer brilliance of his camerawork, such in a fantastic series of short scenes that follow a pair of boots (!) which are used by several soldiers in a few days' time.

Attack! (1956)

Another anti-war movie, this one by the early Robert Aldrich. Jack Palance stars as Costa, a sergeant who develops a fixation to frag his superior, captain Cooney (Eddie Albert), who has shown his cowardly in sevaral occasions. Costa is sent to pacify a French village, but once there he is besieged by the enemy and Cooney refuses to help him.

This is a very different film. Although it's as bleak and critic towards the army as, say, "Paths of Glory", Aldrich also inserts some breathtaking action scenes. Palance is great as the lead, while Albert overdoes a bit his coward officer. My favourite character, though, was Bartlett, played by a young Lee Marvin. Barlett is another officer, Cooney's superior, who tries to hide his mistakes and keeps him out of trouble. His speeches justifying his own actions (as well as Cooney's), together with the battle scenes, are good enough reasons to watch the film, although the rest is almost every bit as good.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 06:12:59 PM »

Neville Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> All quiet on the western front (1930)
>
> Not knowing the novel in which is based

Read the book; it is very good.

The first time I tried to read it, though, it gave me nightmares.  Books don't usually do that to me.

I've not yet seen the movie.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 06:56:38 PM »

All Quiet on the Western Front is really an amazing, timeless film.  I was also amazed how mordern and accessable it was.   I consider it a great classic movie just for that reason.
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
peter johnson

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2006, 11:46:05 PM »

See the Japanese film "Fires on The Plain" (1952) about the Japanese in early 1945 in the Phillippines, cut off from everything.
The same boot sequence is recreated, only condensed and in a rain-storm.  Seldomn has a homage been so successful.
peter johnson/denny crane

I have no idea what this means.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2006, 10:59:52 AM »

Read the book. Seen the film. Though, I don't remember which one I did first. Both are great. And I think "All Quiet on the Western Front" has some great action scenes as well.

As a piece of trivia, that famous last shot in "All Quiet on the Western Front," that is not Lew Ayres' hand, that is Lewis Milestone's hand. For some reason, and I don't remember why, Ayres was not available to do the scene, so the director, Milestone, stepped in and did it.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  All quiet on the Western Front (1930) and Attack! (1956). « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.