Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:41:43 AM
713337 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  X2: X-Men United and Araniphobia. « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: X2: X-Men United and Araniphobia.  (Read 4046 times)
daveblackeye15
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: June 15, 2006, 08:04:34 PM »

*spoilers to both movies*

Last night I watched Araniphobia, the first time in years. I never realized how comical it was, I knew there were funny parts but the I thought the tone was quite a bit more serious. Some of my earliest movie memoirs, the were not of Godzilla or Gamera, were from this movie. Scenes like the spider coming down from the ceiling as the two girls sing 'Itseey bitsy spider" or the part where the main character tries to kill the head spider with a spray can and lighter. I was quite entertained and I think the premises is one of the more realistic 'monster' movies. Though I must ask, isn't it kind of risky to just kill off the living the flora and fauna of an area that may harber creatures never before seen? Or do they really do it like that (refering to the first 15 minutes)
3/5
"Let's Rock and Roll."

X-Men 2: Wow now this is good stuff! I thought the first movie was good but could have been a wee bit more beefed up with action, action that was important to the plot of course. Not only does this have a good story but it pleases the action senses. Cyclops use to be my favorite X-Men character but then I saw the movies and it became a tie with Wolferine thanks to Hugh Jackson. However for this movie specifically it's Nightcrawler Just because he made several good saves and he had a great inro with invading the white house and knocking aside every guard that got in his way. Despite having so many characters everyone got a good piece of the action which can be tricky to pull. I thought the brief alliance between the X-Men and Magneto was pretty cool though of course Magneto and Mystique were soon back to there old tricks. And of course to end it prefectly we must have a sacrifice of some sort and that was pulled off quite well.
Don't you love those superhero sequels that are better than the original?
4.5/5

Now it's time to sing the nation anthem IN AMERICA!!!

Bandit Keith from Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged Series (episode 12)
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 06:35:03 AM »

Actually Dave, it's spelled with a "C" an "H" and an "O".  
Arachnophobia.

I thought it was OK.
I hate spiders...they send shivers down my spine just thinking about them.
I truly believe that the physical form of the spider is the most hideous on earth.

As for X-Men 2...
I loved it when I first saw it in the theater.
Not so on DVD.
After a 2nd, 3rd and 4th viewing, I now think that X-2 stinks.

I couldn't tell you why...it just does.
I think it's the whole Stryker storyline with his son/daughter. (was it a boy or girl?)
There's something about Brian Cox that I don't like.
His presence and character ruined this film for me.
Shadowphile
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2006, 07:29:19 AM »

Stryker's son was the mutant in the life support wheelchair.

As far as the most hideous physical form, I'm sure there are are those who would argue that the  centipede takes that crown.  I have seen four fully grown adults recoil in terror when one of these things makes an appearance.  They say it's all the legs.  My only problem with them is the fact they leave a stain when you step on them while wearing white socks...
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2006, 08:08:57 AM »

Centipedes do not scare me or most of the human population as much as spiders do.
You never hear of someone having Centiphobia.
But mention the word Arachnophobia and most people will know what you're referring to even if they've never heard of the movie.

For me, it's easy to envision a centipede being like an earthworm...which is harmless...therefore not scary

Spiders on the other hand....they have a physical appearance unlike anything in the bug world.
The eight eyes, the fangs, their hary bodies, the evil looking eight legs and the general nasty "creepy-crawliness" of them repels most humans.

Wikipedia Entry: ARACHNOPHOBIA

I have mild Arachnophobia.
If I walk into an enclosed area like a dark garage or even worse, my parent's barn, my shoulders slump and I feel like spiders are all around me and will jump onto my back at any time.
I've had this since I was a kid.

My parent's barn is really bad.  Matter of fact, it's almost as bad as the one in Arachnophobia.
I can hardly stand to be in there for more than a few minutes.
There are huge spider webs everywhere and sometimes the enormous spiders themselves sit in the middle of their webs and watch me.
I get the heebie-jeebies and shudders everytime my mother or sister ropes me into helping with the daily chores when I'm there visiting.
They always make me go up into the loft, open the big overhead doors and throw spider-infested bales of hay down to them to feed the horses.

But sometimes if I see a spider sitting in it's web, say in the parking ramp next door that I park my car in, I feel no fear at all and will even give it a quick poke right in the abdomen with my index finger.

Most times though, they petrify me.
Fearless Freep

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2006, 09:05:35 AM »

Spiders are more ubiqituous, so they are more familiar as a potential creepy threat.

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Fearless Freep

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2006, 09:11:19 AM »

What I fond most fascinating about the X-Men movies (and I have not yet seen the thrid so don't spoil it for me) is that...when it comes down to it, Magneto and them really think they are the good guys.  By experience and story telling we see  Prof.X and company as being the 'Heros' but when it comes down to it, Magneto thinks that *he* is the goodguy in a fight for survival for himself and his people against a bigoted (and evil?) human population, and probably sees Prof as very close to being a traitor or appeaser.  I'm not saying Magento is the real Hero, but it's pretty refreshing to see a superhero movie (or any movie( where the 'bad guy' really thinks he's the good guy and is not just motivated by greed and selfishness but actually motivated by a desire to survive and protect himself and his kind and maybe a bit of fear.  Magneto (possibly correctly) thinks a war is coming...and thinks he's on the right side

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
2xSlick
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2006, 09:26:26 AM »

To answer Dave, yes scientists do massive sprayings in the rain forests. No one has come up with a better way to study the diversity of life by killing it. In the rain forests, everything's either underfoot or in the trees. Having spent in the night in an almost tropical forests, I'll say that it's much easier to study the bugs underground since after sunset the ground gets up and starts crawling over you. Not exactly pleasant if you've had no warning. But all the cute, cool, and potentially medically helpful creatures live in the trees.

http://www.youtube.com/user/2xslickvs -For the worst in video game and movie reviews, mostly dealing with zombies.
Just Plain Horse
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2006, 11:14:56 AM »

I was pleasently surprised by X2, especially since I didn't really like the first film. Considering how convoluted Wolverine's storyline is, I think it was handled well. The scene were Stryker's men invade Xaivier's school is very well done, and I found myself cheering as Wolverine off'ed them one by one. I've always enjoyed McKellen's Magneto... I like his attitude, even if I think his beliefs are slightly flawed.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2006, 11:24:25 AM »

I saw "Arachnophobia," when it first came out the theaters, and I found it surprisingly scary, even though spiders have never bothered me that much.  This thread does remind me, I like the new use they found for a nailgun in this films.

As for "X2," apparently, Ian McKellan has agreed to do a stand alone "Magneto" film.
Just Plain Horse
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2006, 12:16:34 PM »

2xSlick Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> To answer Dave, yes scientists do massive
> sprayings in the rain forests. No one has come up
> with a better way to study the diversity of life
> by killing it. In the rain forests, everything's
> either underfoot or in the trees. Having spent in
> the night in an almost tropical forests, I'll say
> that it's much easier to study the bugs
> underground since after sunset the ground gets up
> and starts crawling over you. Not exactly pleasant
> if you've had no warning. But all the cute, cool,
> and potentially medically helpful creatures live
> in the trees.

I'm inclined to think the "medically helpful" ones live in the trees because they still subsist on a natural diet largely consisting of fruits and vegetables... as opposed to the increasingly artificial and potentially toxic foods we humans ingest and pretend are delicious. Uncomfortable with eating things made from bugs guts? Put down the hotdog and corn syrup and pick up some peanuts or a cup of water. No? Then I don't want to hear anybody whining about science tampering with nature. Did I just rant??
odinn7

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2006, 10:32:14 AM »

Alright...let's stop the spider bashing in here, ok? Nothing wrong with spiders at all if you take some time to learn about them. They are amazing creatures really.
I have 4 tarantulas (one I just caught while I was out in Arizona) and they really are fascinating...in a geek/dork sort of way.
They really don't hunt you down and stalk you. For the most part, if you stay out of their way and leave them alone, you'll never have a problem.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
daveblackeye15

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2006, 04:13:46 PM »

Hey I like spiders, though I'm a touch arachniphobic (oops forgot to look up the word again) I'm still fasinated by them.

And if there were no spiders then we wouldn't have Spider-Man.

And I was asking about the 'killing stuff thing' because I've always thought the best way to study something was when it was still alive.

Now it's time to sing the nation anthem IN AMERICA!!!

Bandit Keith from Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged Series (episode 12)
odinn7

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2006, 05:06:05 PM »

I was just giving Ash some sh*t as it's been a while since I've done so...I thought he would be missing my attempts at him...lol.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
Shadowphile
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2006, 05:58:18 PM »

As far as the alien appearance of spiders, it is shared by crabs and scorpions....
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  X2: X-Men United and Araniphobia. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.