Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:51:01 AM
714351 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Some Recent Viewings « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Some Recent Viewings  (Read 1371 times)
ulthar
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« on: June 17, 2006, 10:51:02 AM »

THE TRIGGER EFFECT (1996)

Starring Kyle MacLachlan (as Matthew), Elizabeth Shue (Annie) and Dermot Mulroney (Joe), The Trigger Effect is an interesting exploration into social groups, psychology and perhaps racism.  I thought there were some major plot holes and the ending just sorta, well, ended, but overall not a bad way to spend an hour and a half.

The premise is a black-out brings out some behaviors in people they never expected.  MacLachlan's character is nicely developed as a more timid or meek husband and father who is forced (in his mind, anyway) to take drastic action to secure medication for their child.  The downward spiral continues as we see him becoming the person he hated in the opening sequence.

We never learn what caused the black-out; in way, I like this, as we are left 'in the dark' as much as the characters. But, there would probably be SOMEONE with a radio or SOME information as to how long it might last.  The mystery I think added to the urgency felt by the characters.

But, the premise of Matthew's slide is a bit far-fetched.  First, these two parents are totally wigged out about getting antibiotics for their child's ear infection, which they don't even know she has.  They assumed that because she cried for five minutes and they called the doctor (my wife, a pediatrician, LOVES parents like that) for a prescription.  When the power is out, the pharmacist does not have Matthew's script (the doctor could not call....the phones are out also) - why does Matthew not just simply GO to the doctor to get a written script?

Also, I thought Matthew and Joe were brothers, but it turns out they were just friends.  I think their relationship (and each's with Annie) would have been more interesting/believable as brothers.  Just my opinion.

Michael Rooker makes an appearance as a character that I don't think the director ever decided was a good guy or a bad guy.  His presence seems included only to highlight Matthew's and his counterpart's (Richard T. Jones as Raymond) respective personalities.

The movie is just getting wound up good when it ends.  I like the 94 minute run time (I'm getting a little sick of 2 hour shlog fests that just waste time), but I believe there was more story to tell.

3 of 5

NATIONAL VELVET (1944)

I'd never seen National Velvet and got it from Netflix because my daughter likes to watch horses.  My wife and I both really, really enjoyed this movie.  I was actually surprised how much I liked it.  Our favorite parts were the interactions between Mr. and Mrs. Brown.

Velvet Brown (Elizabeth Taylor) is a 12 year old girl who loves horses (maybe a little more than is healthy) and browbeats everyone around her into getting and training a horse she loves particularly.  His name is Pie (a dumb name for a horse, but shows the simplicity of Taylor's character), and Velvet just KNOWS he can win the Grand National Steeple Chase race.

The only thing I did not like much about this film was the pervasive dripping sweetness of Taylor's character.  Oh man, was that girl in her own world.  But, I guess that was the driving conflict of the story: her innocence vs. the realities of the world.

4.5 out of 5 for a nice, gentle family film, though a bit long.

CARS (2006)

Wow.  Pixar hits another home run with this one, in my opinion.  I purposefully have not read anything about it, and was surprised to learn the great Lasseter himself directed.  Some are saying it's not the best Pixar release, but who cares?  CARS is a fun movie with good sight-gags, good jokes (though seemingly aimed more at the adults than the kids than usual) and as usual, stunning visuals.

Pixar will, in my opinion, continue to dominate not only CGI movies but movies in general because they have one solid story department.  This one, however, is reminiscent of that Michael J. Fox movie DOC HOLLYWOOD in a lot of respects.  I can forgive it, though, since putting that story into a car world is creative in and of itself.

Saw it at the Drive-In in a double feature with The Wild (2006) (see below)

5 of 5

THE WILD (2006)

Avoid this one like the plague.  I hated this movie.  You know it's bad when an almost 4 year is saying "Daddy, this movie is TOO long" less than an hour into it.  It's just bad.  My wife fell alseep and I was trying to (to dull the pain).

Let's see.  They basically took the story of FINDING NEMO and made it zoo animals instead of fish, slapped in a little THE LION KING and MADAGASCAR for good measure.  There was not a creative thing done in this movie, and I HATED IT.  There is some debate on the IMDB boards about which came first, this or MADAGASCAR, but I don't care.  If I had never seen NEMO, LION KING or MADAGASCAR, I would have still hated this movie.

Basically, Samson is a zoo lion that has told everyone he was captured from the wild; his son Ryan is trying to learn to roar like his dad (who defeated whole herds of wildebeast not with his claws or teeth, but with his roar), but is failing miserably.  Everyone laughs at his roar, er, meow.  Remind anyone of Simba?

Ryan gets trapped in a box that is shipped to Africa. Samson and his zoo buddies escape from the zoo and hijack a boat to get Ryan back.  They have adventures along the way that teach them stuff.  Marlin, uh, I mean Samson says a number of times "I have to find my son."

**SPOILER ALERT**

I'm gonna give some spoilers in the hope that it scares you off from this mess.  If you really really insist upon seeing this movie and NOT being surprised by the plot (it's totally predicable from the first scene onward), read no further.

Early on we get a hint that Samson has something 'difficult' to tell his son.  Let me guess.  He was not really from the Wild.  Oh, I was right.  Only the makers of this dreck drag the 'suspense' of that secret out for like 40 minutes before they drop the bombshell.  There are hints galore, and none of the characters pick up on it.

I think it would have been a MUCH better movie if Samson really had come from the wild and kicked butt and took names.  But that would have flown in the face of Disney making a movie that makes fathers look like dung-heels.  Let me elaborate.

Samson was a liar and a coward.  Samson's father, a totally useless character introduced in a flashback scene when Samson was telling Ryan 'the big secret,' was worse.  He seemed to hate his son and revelled in his pain.  He was glad to see Samson sold to the zoo (by a circus that was getting rid of him because, get this, he couldn't roar).  The presence of Samson's father's character added absolutely NOTHING to the story (the circus master provided all the plot in that scene, that father was just there to yell awful stuff to the young Samson), and was only there to show how bad fathers are.

Nice, for a movie being shown on Father's Day Weekend.

1 of 5, the 1 being for some good visuals in a CGI productions that took TEN YEARS (or so I've read).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 11:32:53 AM »

"National Velvet" is a great film, and by my reckoning, the best performance Taylor ever gave, while she was still a child actress.

As for "Cars," I finally saw it in the theaters. Much better then I expected it to be from last year's teasers. Some of the fun is trying to find all the in-jokes in the film, which is loaded with in-jokes.

While I have not seen "Doc Hollywood," I am somewhat familiar with the premise of the film, but hasn't this premise been used in films before "Doc Hollywood?"
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 08:27:36 PM »

I want to try and take Jenna to see "Cars" this Saturday before I have to go to California.

I was thinking about good children's movies the other day and think that they do better when they are not dumbed down, but made so an adult can also enjoy them.  This might be because I am an adult.

On the other hand, I remember a lot of little girls talking about "Rainbow Brite and the Star Stealer" when I was much younger.  I tried to watch it a few years back.  Man, if that is not something right out of an acid trip.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Some Recent Viewings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.