Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:14:32 AM
714232 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Best Hulk Episode (A B-movie Tribute) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Best Hulk Episode (A B-movie Tribute)  (Read 911 times)
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« on: June 22, 2006, 10:42:19 PM »

Happened to catch a rerun of the Hulk on TV recently. I don't watch it often, but it's a bit of nostalgic fun when I'm in the mood. This episode was the two-parter entitled "The First." Banner (under the clever alias of David Barr) shows up in a small town and encounters another Hulk (who kind of looks like a big, green Matthew Perry, but never mind that) who terrorized the town in the early 50s.

Now, I thought this episode was pretty cool when I was a kid, but I appreciated it on a whole new level. The script has some big flaws, but it's quite clever in spots, and the performances are good, especially the old guy who becomes the other, slightly less hulking Hulk.

But what really got me was that this episode was a tribute to the classic B-movies. Banner basically walks into the setting of a 50s B-movie 30 years later. Just outside a sleepy little town, a scientist has a laboratory full of cool equipment in his pretty Victorian home. In this laboratory, which really looks the part, he experiments with radiation, with the aim of increasing productivity in the American worker. He experiments on his assistant, who is just some local simpleton with no scientific knowledge. The guy is not only cured of his many health problems, but also turns into a murdering monster. The doctor manages to get an antidote into him, but is accidentally killed when confronted by an angry mob shortly after. His fiancee, who never learned the whole story, has never quite gotten over it.

That is such a B-movie plot, and this episode gives it all to us as the recollections of the various towsfolk 30 years later, which is really cool. It was great to see this episode again after so many years.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Shadowphile
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2006, 09:36:07 AM »

I thought I had seen all the Hulk episodes, since I was a huge fan as a kid when the series originally aired.  I don't recall this one at all...
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Best Hulk Episode (A B-movie Tribute) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.