Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:55:55 PM
714319 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  THE BAT (1958) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: THE BAT (1958)  (Read 1231 times)
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: July 02, 2006, 06:42:12 AM »

You can find this movie in the HORROR CLASSICS 50 MOVIE PACK.

Vincent Price plays Dr. Wells, but he isn't really the star.  In fact, he's probably only on screen for a total of 20 minutes or so.  Even better is the fact that grown up Darla Hood (Alfafa's girlfriend from the old LITTLE RASCALS comedy shorts) has a supporting role.  And she looks almost the same as when she was a kid.

The real star is Agnes Moorhead (Samantha's mother in the old BEWITCHED TV series).  She plays an Agatha Christie-type mystery writer spending the summer in a typical "old, dark house," complete with secret passages.  (The house is very obviously a miniature in the long shots).  

The story involves a masked killer known as "The Bat" who slashes his victims' throats using a glove with sharp claws on it.

Similar movies were common in the 1930s and 40s.  In fact, there is a terrible Ritz Brothers comedy called THE GORILLA (also included in the HORROR CLASSICS 50 MOVIE PACK), which basically has the same plot except that the killer who is lurking around the secluded house is a "The Gorilla" instead of "The Bat."

THE BAT was originally a stage play, so most of the scenes take place in just a few rooms within the house and there is more talking than action.

Overall, this is a run-of-the mill thriller that looks like a cross between an old serial (like THE SHADOW or DICK TRACY) and a William Castle film (like THE HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL).  Castle was probably thankful that he had nothing to do with this movie.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
peter johnson

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2006, 11:29:58 PM »

It's a shame that most people know Agnes Moorehead primarily as Endora, as she had a long and distinguished career.
Moorehead was one of the founding members of Orson Welles' and John Houseman's Mercury Theatre -- They of War of the Worlds & the Negro MacBeth fame --
She did dozens of difficult stage and radio roles for Orson --
She's the foster mother of the young Charles Foster Kane in Citizen Kane.
Also, check out her wordless performance in the hour-long Twilight Zone TV episode, The Invaders.  She comes across like a Kabuki demon -- really scary stoff, keeds!
peter johnson/denny crane

I have no idea what this means.
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2006, 06:21:15 PM »

Yea, this was a pretty weak film for Vincent Price and how about that claw hand. Your correct in saying that it's more like one of those b-movies from the 30's. Strickly for Vincent Price completist. All others stay away.

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2006, 06:24:56 PM »

Yeah, what Scott says. I'll also say it is based upon a book by Mary Roberts Rinehart, who is one of my favorite old-time mystery writers.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  THE BAT (1958) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.