Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 01, 2014, 02:10:58 AM
534589 Posts in 40447 Topics by 5078 Members
Latest Member: hppydude
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Do filmmakers think we are stupid? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Author Topic: Do filmmakers think we are stupid?  (Read 6529 times)
WyreWizard
Bad Movie Lover
***

Karma: -24
Posts: 273



« on: June 29, 2006, 01:53:57 PM »

All my life, I've seen movies which have often broke the rules of science and reality.  Last year, I saw an episode of the Mythbusters that did myths from the movie Jaws.  In that they did an interview with Peter Benchley, author of Jaws.  While examining the myth of a scuba tank exploding when shot, they told that in the book, the shark was killed by a harpoon.  Peter Benchley himself said that Steven Spielberg had that scene changed.  He told of an argument between himself and Mr. Spielberg on this issue.  He said that Mr. Spielberg said something to the effect of "They will believe it because I present it to them."  That got me thinking.  Movie makers aren't stupid, they just think that we, the viewing public is stupid.  When Mr. Spielberg said that to Mr. Benchley, he was in essence saying "People are so stupid, they will accept whatever I present to them as factual."  Most of the time, I am amazed at the level of scientific flaws and flaws of reality that most films and TV Shows have.  But occasionally, one will amaze me with how plausible it is.
Logged

Babe, I'm leaving.  I must be on my way.  The time is drawing near.  The train is going.  I see it in your eyes.  The love beneath your tears.  And I'll be lonely without you.  And I'll need your love to see me through.  So please me.  My heart is your hands.  And I'll be missing you...
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken
*****

Karma: 0
Posts: 10861


"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"


WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2006, 02:01:53 PM »

Some of my favorite movies are the most implausible,stupidist things imaginable. Thats why I like them.Thats why a web site called Bad Movies exists. The whole idea of a shark eating a boat is fairly unreal in itself, when you think about it. And cinematicly(did I spell that right?) blowing up is alot cooler than getting speared.
Logged

\"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!\" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)


Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?"
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."





http://www.tumblr.com/dashboard
http://www.tumblr.com/dashboard
http://rcmerchant.tumblr.com/
Just Plain Horse
Bad Movie Lover
***

Karma: 9
Posts: 567


« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2006, 02:35:01 PM »

Well, in response to your question, it' s a two-way street. If we are willing to pay to see things we know are crap, then the bean counters will influence the execs to pressure studios to make films that sell more. The reason why DVD's are now the rage is because we the public buy them... sure, some have great extras and boast clearer images- but that has nothing to do with why so many things are being released on DVD... it's because it's an easy money-maker. The same goes with remakes- that and they seem safe & easy for studios to remake. There are exceptions of course (I don't think you'll ever see a remake of Todd Browning's FREAKS). But, yes, studios think we are clueless cattle waiting to be fleeced (to mix metaphors- I should be talking about sheep now).

Oh, and spielberg is a total idiot; a rich exploitive idiot, but still an idiot.
Logged
WyreWizard
Bad Movie Lover
***

Karma: -24
Posts: 273



« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2006, 04:54:42 PM »

Well if I were the executive producer of Jaws, I'd have done things a lot differently.  I'd use the final scene in the novel, but I would make it more suspenseful.  I'd make it so that the hero and his team try to harpoon the shark.  The shark plays around with them, hitting the boat, knocking off a creman and eating him.   The hero would shoot the harpoon at the bloodspot on the water and miss.  I'd keep this up for a whileUntil the hero was all that was left on the boat.  The boat would be heavily damaged and barely afloat.  The hero would have the harpoon hun with him.  He'd scan the water surface for the shark's presence.  All of a sudden the shark would jump out of the water with its jaws locked on the hero.  The hero would take his one and only shot, firing the harpoon into the shark's mouth so that it penetrate's the shark's head and kills it.  That's how I would have done that scene.
Logged

Babe, I'm leaving.  I must be on my way.  The time is drawing near.  The train is going.  I see it in your eyes.  The love beneath your tears.  And I'll be lonely without you.  And I'll need your love to see me through.  So please me.  My heart is your hands.  And I'll be missing you...
akiratubo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema
****

Karma: 414
Posts: 3372



« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2006, 07:58:35 PM »

In the novel, the shark doesn't get harpooned to death, per se.  It just finally dies from all the injuries inflicted upon it.

The movie's ending is much better.  Without that ending, Brody contributes little to the plot aside from being a generally ineffective sheriff and an actual hazard on Quint's boat.

The shark might explode if the air got forced down its gullet, though that would cause an abdominal rupture instead of blowing its head off.

Oh, well.
Logged

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Shadowphile
Bad Movie Lover
***

Karma: 0
Posts: 662


« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2006, 02:56:19 AM »

A compressed air tank would rupture if punctured but not to the degree presented.  Would it kill the shark?  Chunks of metal propelled into the brain by an compressed gas explosion would kill just about anything....
Logged
odinn7
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema
****

Karma: 57
Posts: 2259



« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2006, 08:20:09 AM »

The ending for this movie was better than the book. At least I mean, it comes across in the movie much better than the way it would have if they followed the book. Movies don't need to be realistic. I watch movies for fun and I will pick things out from time to time and have fun doing so but I will not sit there and be p**sed because a movie isn't realistic...what fun would movies be if they followed the way things would really happen...pretty boring really.

"We'll poke this shark until he dies...or...we blow him up in a fantastic explosion."

"Oh...but that explosion couldn't happen like that."

"Damn it!...Ok...we'll poke him until he dies because we want to keep things real."

"Keep things real? We better not have him destroy the boat this way then...Oh yes, there are many other things we will need to change as well."

"Wow...this movie will suck...but at least it will all be real!"



Yeah...sweet.
Logged

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken
*****

Karma: 0
Posts: 10861


"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"


WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2006, 11:22:44 AM »

That was my point also. It's much more enjoyable,realistic or not. Some of my favorite films are more fun because of the total disregard of realism...
Logged

\"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!\" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)


Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?"
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."





http://www.tumblr.com/dashboard
http://www.tumblr.com/dashboard
http://rcmerchant.tumblr.com/
odinn7
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema
****

Karma: 57
Posts: 2259



« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2006, 11:56:45 AM »

Exactly.
Logged

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
WyreWizard
Bad Movie Lover
***

Karma: -24
Posts: 273



« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2006, 12:20:27 PM »

Incredible, you think the unreality and implausibility of films is fun?  Would you say that to people who have had family members lost or injured trying to replicate what they saw in movies?  I've heard many horror stories of mothers losing their sons when they tried to fly like Superman.  I remember that one movie (I forget its name) when come college jocks laid down in the middle of a busy highway and some college and high school kids have duplicated that very stunt.  You may see the unreality and implausibility of certain films as fun.  I see them as foolish and sometimes dangerous.
Logged

Babe, I'm leaving.  I must be on my way.  The time is drawing near.  The train is going.  I see it in your eyes.  The love beneath your tears.  And I'll be lonely without you.  And I'll need your love to see me through.  So please me.  My heart is your hands.  And I'll be missing you...
odinn7
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema
****

Karma: 57
Posts: 2259



« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2006, 02:33:48 PM »

Wow! F**k me! You're right! Movies should be made realistic so the mentally deranged people don't try to copy them...that's bs.

Tell me though...if they were made realistic (we'll use Jaws as an example) then how would that stop these nuts from trying to copy them? The fact that they end Jaws with an oxygen tank blowing up the shark must make some freaks want to go out and blow up sharks. If they used a harpoon, nobody would want to copy that.
Logged

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema
****

Karma: 0
Posts: 4969


We're all just victims of circumstance


« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2006, 02:34:11 PM »

Sorry, but the majority of the film going public are stupid. That's why Hollywood keeps turning out so much inane crap, people are paying to see it.

As far as the ending of Jaws, the book ending would be very hard to make cinematic, so the movie ending is better in that regard. Remember this was made to be a thriller, not many thrills in watching a dead fish sink.

I personally think the air tank would have shot right through the shark and quite literally torn him a new ass.
Logged




And you thought Trek isn't cool.
WyreWizard
Bad Movie Lover
***

Karma: -24
Posts: 273



« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2006, 03:02:58 PM »

odinn7 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wow! F**k me! You're right! Movies should be made
> realistic so the mentally deranged people don't
> try to copy them...that's bs.
>
> Tell me though...if they were made realistic
> (we'll use Jaws as an example) then how would that
> stop these nuts from trying to copy them? The fact
> that they end Jaws with an oxygen tank blowing up
> the shark must make some freaks want to go out and
> blow up sharks. If they used a harpoon, nobody
> would want to copy that.

And its because of Jaws that people have gone on a shark-killing spree.  In the years since Jaws was released thousands of sharks were hunted and slaughtered, some to extinction.  Shark hunters may not be using the unrealistic and unworkable technique that Scheider used, but the end result is all the same: hundreds of thousands of slaughtered sharks.  The way I see it, Jaws has resulted in the destruction of completetly innocent animals.  Oh yeah sure, Jaws was an exciting movie for most, but for others all too real.  So you say the unreality of films has caused no harm?  Think again!
Logged

Babe, I'm leaving.  I must be on my way.  The time is drawing near.  The train is going.  I see it in your eyes.  The love beneath your tears.  And I'll be lonely without you.  And I'll need your love to see me through.  So please me.  My heart is your hands.  And I'll be missing you...
odinn7
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema
****

Karma: 57
Posts: 2259



« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2006, 03:10:54 PM »

So we should have no movies then because everything could be caused by movies. You can't be for real...I am done with this.
Logged

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, and
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema
****

Karma: 205
Posts: 2848


fake wine, fake accent


WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2006, 03:58:12 PM »

How's about those Matrix fx, where bullets create shock waves as they travel?
It's my understanding that in order to produce shock waves, an object needs to be moving above seven hundred miles per hour, whereas your average bullet has a top speed of about four hundred miles per hour.

I have a headache.
Logged

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
Normal is what people are until you get to know them.
http://www.wrir.org      http://www.youtube.com/LilCerberus      http://www.facebook.com/LilCerberus      http://www.facebook.com/pages/Absolutely-Als-Bag/235489689811513      http://lilcerberus-ob.blogspot.com/   https://plus.google.com/109856182158905164403
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Do filmmakers think we are stupid? « previous next »
    Jump to:  


    RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email


    Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

    The Champions of Justice

    Plan 9 from Outer Space

    Manos, The Hands of Fate

    Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

    Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

    Dragonball: The Magic Begins

    Cool As Ice

    The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

    Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

    Do you have a zombie plan?

    FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

    Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

    Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

    Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

    HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

    Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.