Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:45:14 PM
713351 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Do filmmakers think we are stupid? « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: Do filmmakers think we are stupid?  (Read 18767 times)
Jim H
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2006, 07:49:51 PM »

I saw a video online of some people who shotgunned a propane tank.  It sort of exploded, but mostly caused a huge geyser of flame.  Propane wouldn't work underwater though.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2006, 09:30:39 AM »

This thread did remind me of something that I find utterly fascinating. If a successful film is a film that influences our behavior, then "Jaws" was a successful film, because it influenced people to go out and kill sharks. Unfortunately, like "Jaws" films seem to have a more negative influence, then a positive influence. We have already mentioned "The Program," here are some more films that influenced us.

"Billy Elliott"
An upsurge in British boys taking ballet lessons.

"Dark Voyager"
Lighting two cigarettes at one time. Women would actually come up to Paul Heinreid, who lit Bette Davis' cigarette in the film in this manner, and say: "Light me."

"Lair of the White Worm"
Couples started recreating the scenes with Lady Sylvia Marsh (Amanda Donohoe) and Kevin the Scout (Chris Pitt), from the time she picks him up, thumbing a ride, in the rain, till she drowns him in the tub.

"Lastt Year at Maranbad"
The match game. People started playing the match game after seeing it in the film.

"Natural Born Killers"
At least one couple went on a robbery and killing spree, after seeing the one in the film.

"Saturday Night Fever"
It had a major influence on disco dancing and disco music.

"Thelma and Louise"
When committing suicide, for the most part, people did not commit suicide by driving their car off a cliff into a canyon. But, when Geena Davis and Susan Sarandon did it in the film, people started doing it that way, too.

"This Is Spinal Tap"
Influenced Black Sabbath's 1984 Born Again tour's Stonehenge stage set.

Of course, there are many others, and this does not include the many films that have influenced male and female fashion design and hairstyles.
Scottie
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2006, 11:18:45 PM »

I'd like to make one small but vital addition to this argument that comes from the mind of filmmaker Carl Th. Dreyer:

"Film isn't supposed to be reality. If it is reality, then it is not art."

WyreWizard, if you think film is supposed to represent reality, perhaps you have chosen the wrong medium. Instead, try jumping on the next boat to Nantucket to see a shark being harpooned instead of blowing up. I think that will satisfy your desire for accuracy in the world.

___<br />Spongebob: What could be better than serving up smiles? <br />Squidward: Being Dead.
WyreWizard
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2006, 05:04:57 PM »

Scottie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'd like to make one small but vital addition to
> this argument that comes from the mind of
> filmmaker Carl Th. Dreyer:
>
> "Film isn't supposed to be reality. If it is
> reality, then it is not art."
>
> WyreWizard, if you think film is supposed to
> represent reality, perhaps you have chosen the
> wrong medium. Instead, try jumping on the next
> boat to Nantucket to see a shark being harpooned
> instead of blowing up. I think that will satisfy
> your desire for accuracy in the world.

You miss the point of my analysis of the flaws of films.  I have seen many entertaining films that sometimes bend the rules of reality and science but a lot of them completely break it.  Some of these films with their flawed representation of reality have sometimes lead to problems with society and nature like Jaws.  Its because of Jaws that thousands of innocent Sharks were slaughtered.  The producers of that film take no responsibility for it.  The film I feel should have had a disclaimer to prevent the slaughter of sharks.  The disclaimer should have read something like.  "This film is a work of fiction and not a documentary.  It does not show the actual natural behavior of great white sharks.  All that happens in this film is for entertainment purposes only and is not meant to be a guide to proper behavior towards beaches and ocean fauna."  But since Jaws never had such a disclaimer thousands of Sharks were slaughtered, some driven to extinction.

Babe, I'm leaving.  I must be on my way.  The time is drawing near.  The train is going.  I see it in your eyes.  The love beneath your tears.  And I'll be lonely without you.  And I'll need your love to see me through.  So please me.  My heart is your hands.  And I'll be missing you...
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2006, 09:35:25 PM »

I agree that works of FICTION influnce stupid dumbasses to commit crimes. But do you really think disclaimers are going to prevent said the same idiots are NOT going to do what they do because of a filmed "don't do this"? BULLSH&T! They do what they wanna do because,inside,they want justification  for it. If it comes from a film, a meglomaniac leader (ie-Hitler) or the Bible-people will find a reason to f*cksh*t up. Blaming films is a really easy,immature,way out.Like my daddy said-"If I told you to jump off a bridge-would you do it?"case CLOSED.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2006, 09:35:28 PM »

I agree that works of FICTION influnce stupid dumbasses to commit crimes. But do you really think disclaimers are going to prevent said the same idiots are NOT going to do what they do because of a filmed "don't do this"? BULLSH&T! They do what they wanna do because,inside,they want justification  for it. If it comes from a film, a meglomaniac leader (ie-Hitler) or the Bible-people will find a reason to f*cksh*t up. Blaming films is a really easy,immature,way out.Like my daddy said-"If I told you to jump off a bridge-would you do it?"case CLOSED.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Just Plain Horse
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2006, 02:16:05 PM »

In all truth, the bible has caused far more murder, rape, torture, molestation, abuse and violence than anything that ever came out of Hollywood... I mean, since we obviously aren't holding the dumbasses who commited the acts responsible....
Flangepart

« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2006, 11:57:20 AM »

Short answer : True. They do think we are dumb....but many of the audience give them reason to.

Anyone else see the Mythbusters JAWS special? The exploding air tank was put to rest by Jamie's M-1 Garand and a round of 30-06 hardball. Busted!

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2006, 03:28:27 PM »

Been giving this some thought, and it seems Spielberg's insistance that the audience will believe his exploding air tank is not so much assuming they are stupid, but knowing what is common knowledge and what is specialized knowledge. Chances are, people who don't work with tanks of compressed gas (or simply accumulate weird scientific facts) will accept the possibility while a very small portion of the audience will spot the inaccuracy. From the opinions expressed here, most of those people won't really care, as long as it looks good.

Spielberg's comments seem less like arrogance and more like a storyteller knowing how far he can go in tweaking the facts.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
WyreWizard
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2006, 11:41:12 AM »

Wow, this is a record. 28 responses to this post excluding my own.  I'd like to thank all who participated.  ::passes out Little Debbie Brownies.

Babe, I'm leaving.  I must be on my way.  The time is drawing near.  The train is going.  I see it in your eyes.  The love beneath your tears.  And I'll be lonely without you.  And I'll need your love to see me through.  So please me.  My heart is your hands.  And I'll be missing you...
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2006, 11:43:48 AM »

Could I get aNutty Bar? They're my favorite.

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2006, 11:58:12 AM »

28 responses?
Come on!  That's pitiful.

I was gonna say something else but nevermind.
WyreWizard
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2006, 01:03:38 PM »

RCMerchant Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Could I get aNutty Bar? They're my favorite.

::Backs up an earthmover dump truck to an empty swimming pool and dumps hundreds of thousands of individually-wrapped Little Debbie Nutty bars for RCMerchant to swim in

There ya go, knock yourself out

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2006, 08:50:51 PM »

Gee, thanks! Your My Hero!

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2006, 11:52:53 AM »

I didn"t mean to be so hostile in my posts on this thread. Actually, its good to see a debate like this. Keeps things interesting and kicking. I mean no disrespect,and am always interested in hearing other opens.I tend to get biased once in a while...

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Do filmmakers think we are stupid? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.