Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 06:18:08 AM
714255 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  OT - Stuff from your youth that made you what you are today « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: OT - Stuff from your youth that made you what you are today  (Read 13679 times)
Shadowphile
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2006, 04:38:09 PM »

The Bobby Vinton Show
Bah Bah Black Sheep
Emergency
Gilligan's Island
How Green Is My Valley
The Quiet Man
Saturday afternoon monster movies of channel 7 from Buffalo (hosted by the guy who played Commander Tom from Rocket Ship 7
Family Feud with Richard Dawson
Hogan's Heroes

Two-Gun Kid, Rawhide Kid  loved those comics...
Add in Weird War Stories and a whole lot of Gold Key Disney comics
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2006, 04:57:04 PM »

GI JOE-"Now with life-like hair and beard with kung-fu grip!!" Johnny West and Geronimo action figures. Aurora monster model kits. Banana seats,sissy bars,apehanger handle bars. My dads collection of EasyRider and Hustler mags (he hide them in his work bench in the basement.)Watergate.Manson on the news (he scared me.) My dog Inky. Listening to old farmers b***h about the Nazi's during WW II.The Hudson Brothers Show. Double Creature Feature on ch.28 from Elkhart ,Indiana(and how hard it was to pull the damn thing in!)I gotta stop-its like eating Lays Potatoe Chips.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Scott
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2006, 08:03:18 PM »

Did anyone have the cheap version of G.I. JOE in the 70's called ACTION JACKSON?

odinn7

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2006, 08:47:41 PM »

Scott Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Did anyone have the cheap version of G.I. JOE in
> the 70's called ACTION JACKSON?

HAHA!! I wanted one of those so bad but wasn't allowed to get one! I had the GI Joes and thought he would fit in splendidly...I must have been wrong.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2006, 08:56:36 PM »

YES!!!!Had one!!!! I t was a cheezy version of GI JOE. " Action Jackson is his name!!! Bold adventure is his  game!!!! ACTION JACKSON!!!!!" It was almost as bad as the Meco toys....

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2006, 09:08:29 PM »

Monster movie cards with goofy captions.Christopher Lee Dracula movies on the CBS late movie. BLACULA. the Night Stalker. Bugs Bunny. Star Trek reruns.Gilligan. Hee Haw. the Beverley Hillbillies. Gunsmoke actually taught me morals. How many TV shows can claim that ? That might even make a good topic...What TV programs tried to give a lesson in morality,and were actually GOOD at it?

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2006, 10:36:34 AM »

AAArgh! How could I forget Gilligan? My crush on Mary Ann still lives on. . .She's way better than Kate Beckinsale (sorry odinn, but Mary Ann was my first crush)

And Hogan's Heroes and Green Acres and the Beverly Hillbillies!

And Get Smart (Buck Henry rulz!).

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2006, 12:34:20 PM »

And speaking of G.I. Joe and Action Jackson, what about:

* Major Matt Mason - A VERY cool set of spaceman action figures.  You could buy all sorts of weapons, vehicles, accessories etc., and have hours and hours of fun.

* Big Jim - Whose claim to fame was that you could bend his arm and his bicep would flex.  They had a fake steel band that you could wrap around his bicep and it would pop off when you made him flex.

* Captain Action - He wore a body stocking (blue, black, and gray, I believe) and sort of a pilot's hat.  He had little weapons and stuff.

* The Six Million Dollar Man - You could roll up the rubber skin on his arm and see his "bionic" components underneath.  You could also look through a tiny viewfinder in his head and actually see through his bionic eye!

* Fonzi - If you pressed a button on his back, he gave you the "thumbs up."   HEYYYYYYYY!

And what about these other fond memories:

* The Crack-Fire Rifle.  It was a cool toy rifle.  When you cocked it, it would activate some sort of a mechanism inside so that when you pulled the trigger, a gunshot sound would come out of a little speaker on the butt of the rifle.  If you didn'tr cock it, no sound would come out when you pulled the trigger.

* Space Food Sticks.  You could buy these things in the supermarket.  They came in different flavors like chocolate and peanut butter and had the texture of a tootsie roll (but a lot softer and easier to chew).  The TV ads claimed that they were "what the astronauts ate in space."  Yeah, right.

* Wacky Packages.  These were gum packs that had stickers inside.  The stickers were basically parodies of consumer products.  They had stuff like "Cover Ghoul" (Cover Girl Make-up), "Vomit" (Comet Cleanser), etc.  The stickers resembled the actual packages of the products they were supposed to represent, except they had funny drawings and slogans on them.

* Aurora Monster Models.  I had the entire set.  Each model kit came with two sets of heads, hands, etc.  One set was regular black plastic that you could paint.  The other set was off-white "glow in the dark" parts.  Several of the monsters were the Universal monsters, but they had some others as well.  You could get:  The Frankenstein Monster, Dracula, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, The Wolfman, The Phantom of the Opera, The Creature from the Black Lagoon, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, Godzilla, King Kong, The Mummy, The Prisoner (a skeleton chained to a dungeon wall), a Witch . . . I think that's all of them, but there might have been 1 or 2 more.

* Kenner's "Give a Show" Projector.  This was a little plastic contraption with a lighbulb in it that would shine through a lens.  You would slide film strips behind the lens that had still pictures on them.  You could get various Saturday Morning cartoons that were popular at the time.  The film strips would show you a short story with Scooby Doo or someone.  You would slide the film strip in and the first picture would flash on the screen or the wall.  When you were finished looking at that one, you would slide the film strip in a little more and view the next picture.  It was sort of like a View Master, except that you projected it onto a wall or screen.

Wow . . . the memories . . .

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2006, 12:35:13 PM »

I'm beginning to cry . . .

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2006, 12:46:22 PM »

Genes and environment made me what I am today.   In terms of material goods that contributed:
1) Lego
2) Star Wars action figures
3) The collected works of Brian Daley
4) This one is embarassing: Richie Rich comics
5) The 1970's King Kong
6) Rexall Drug in Bellevue Neraska- One of the few to maintain a soda fountain into the 80's.
7) Formative years in a foreign countr(ries), specifically:
   a)The Nuremburg Christmas Market
   b) The torture/witch hunt museum in Rothenburg
   c) Early exposure to Kinder brand candy prizes
   d) British snack foods purchased by my grandmother for visits (this love lasts to this day)
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2006, 01:33:14 PM »

The Burgomaster Wrote:
> * Kenner's "Give a Show" Projector.  This was a
> little plastic contraption with a lighbulb in it
> that would shine through a lens.  You would slide
> film strips behind the lens that had still
> pictures on them.  You could get various Saturday
> Morning cartoons that were popular at the time.
> The film strips would show you a short story with
> Scooby Doo or someone.  You would slide the film
> strip in and the first picture would flash on the
> screen or the wall.  When you were finished
> looking at that one, you would slide the film
> strip in a little more and view the next picture.
> It was sort of like a View Master, except that you
> projected it onto a wall or screen.
>
> Wow . . . the memories . . .

Gonna show my lack of age here.....

My father actually still has his Kenner "Give A Show".  It's still in perfect condition and he has a few slides.  I can't remember which ones exactly other than Aquaman.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2006, 02:05:11 PM »

The Burgomaster Wrote:
> And speaking of G.I. Joe and Action Jackson, what
> about:
>
> * Big Jim - Whose claim to fame was that you could
> bend his arm and his bicep would flex.  They had a
> fake steel band that you could wrap around his
> bicep and it would pop off when you made him
> flex.

I still have a Big Jim doll (oops! I mean action figure) somewhere. He not only flexed, but there was a button on his back that gave him karate chop action, and he came with a breakable plastic board.

I had the G.I. Joe stuff (I think I even had one of the originals, though it got busted up). Does anyone else remember Joe's buddy Atomic Man (I think that's what he was called)? He had a laser eye and a spinning mechanical arm that could rotate cheesy little helicopter blades. I still have that one, and it all still works.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2006, 02:29:35 PM »

QBasic?  You are an old, old man.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2006, 02:37:23 PM »

Mofo,

Far from it.  I didn't use Qbasic until around '95 or so.  That was my first bit of programming.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2006, 04:06:32 PM »

Skaboi Wrote:
> Mofo,
>
> Far from it.  I didn't use Qbasic until around '95
> or so.  That was my first bit of programming.

Yeah, I know.  My first bit of programming was in Basic.  Of course, my last bit of programming was Qbasic.  Don't even get me started on C; I'm not a programmer.

Now if you'd been using punch cards...

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  OT - Stuff from your youth that made you what you are today « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.