Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:41:08 AM
713383 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  1986: A bad horror dynasty « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1986: A bad horror dynasty  (Read 4554 times)
J.R.
« on: January 31, 2002, 06:43:55 PM »

Is it just me, or does it seem like 90% of all bad horror movies came out in 1986? Many times I'll rent or watch a crappy shocker on TV and find out it was released in '86. They're mostly slashers and bad Evil Dead rip-offs with the very rubber-looking poo monsters that plagued the '80s. They're bad and they're funny. God bless you, '86.
Hairzilla
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2002, 02:00:20 AM »

Ah, just another reason why I'm a hardcore eighties fan! Have you ever noticed, J.R., that a decent amount of the movies shown on MSTK were also eighties flicks?.... Well, to be more accurate, a decent amount out of the shows I've seen anyway. I became a "Mystie" late in the game. Two of the most entertaining even featured an Estevez. But, as "The Tom Monster" Servo once so accurately observed, "does anything really STAR an Estevez"?  Hahahaha!

And speaking of things eighties, for anybody who might be interested, this Friday night "Forever Wild", hosted by Sebastian Bach debuts on VH1! I only HOPE that it turns out to be a real VIDEO show, and not just another eighties retrospective where they do everything but actually play 'em!

"The Poo Monsters That Plagued The Eighties"....Sounds like a winner in it's own right, J.R.! Hahahaha!

Don't need nothin' but a good, Tokyo
                                                                                  stompin' time!

HZ
J.R.
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2002, 04:12:47 AM »

It's true! Those monsters looked like excrement. THey were always light-dark brown and lumpy. I, too, love the MSTs where they take on '80s films. I especially like the riffs on hair-metal dudes. Mike Nelson was obviously one of them and it's really cool. Man, the '80s rocked. A horror flick in the theaters pretty much every week, great cheesy music and New Coke. Mmm. The only things I don't miss are President Bush, trouble in the Middle East and bubblegum pop music. Oh, wait...
Hairzilla
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2002, 05:17:07 PM »

>I, too, love the MSTs where they take on '80s films. I especially like the riffs on hair-metal dudes. Mike Nelson was obviously one of them and it's really cool.

Yeah, J.R.! Hahahaha! He must have been, because I distinctly recall one show where, as Mike and the 'bots where sitting through the end credits of some atrocity, they were going off on him about the eighties! Hahahaha! Poor 'bots. Mike should'a reprogramed 'em.

Just in case you havn't already, you should check out the only 80's hair-band horror movie I've ever encountered: TRICK OR TREAT! It features a hair-metal bad boy - who promptly dies and is ressurected when our hero plays an unreleased album backwards. Cameos by both Gene Simmons and Ozzy Osborne, and our leading metalhead is non other than "Skippy", of FAMILY TIES fame! I know that Andrew already has alot of movies on his list for potential review, but this one would be a worthy addition for the toilet scene alone!

If you, or anybody else, is interested, there's a site I go to that keeps up with the music that eMpTV decided fans shouldn't like anymore, and provides detailed information about the latest from 80's era, as well as current day, melodic rock/metal/glam/hair bands. The addy is: http://melodicrock.com

"I'm a trained professional"!

SWING IT!
StatCat
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2002, 07:51:19 PM »

Another pretty bad 80s hairband/horror film is "Hard Rock Zombies" possibly too bad to describe in many ways.
Hairzilla
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2002, 08:54:44 PM »

Wow, I didn't know that there even WAS another hair-band horror movie, Statcat! Thanks for passing that along. I'm gonna have to look this one up online now!
Vermin Boy
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2002, 12:10:08 AM »

Don't forget Jon Mikl Thor's back-to-back movies, "Rock 'n' Roll Nightmare" and "Zombie Nightmare." You can find a review of the former here, while the latter made its way to MST3K (Scifi doesn't show it, but you can find it on one of the many tape-trading sites).
J.R.
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2002, 01:26:46 AM »

What about "KISS Meets The Phantom Of The Park"? Oh, man, I cried I was laughing so hard.
Rev. Darkstar
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2002, 09:00:23 AM »

Any movie with Gene Simmons is class, no matter how bad the plot is. Check out Runaway, it's one of my favorite movies.
Rev. Darkstar
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2002, 12:06:23 PM »

I still havn't seen that one, it was never released over here as there are no KISS fans(well apart from me anyway)
Hairzilla
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2002, 01:40:39 AM »

Before continuing with this thread I feel it only necessary to create the proper atmosphere first. Excuse me a sec while I turn on "Sombody Save Me" by Cinderella...

That's better!

Ok. First and foremost, thanks for making me aware of not one, but two additional hair-band horror[?] flicks, guys! I did, in fact, see KISS MEETS THE PHANTOM OF THE PARK once many years ago, J.R., which would probably explain why I've always prefered the post classic Kiss lineups. Hahaha! [Dude, have you ever read about any of their onstage mishaps during the makeup years? Hysterical!] And "plot" wise, Vermin',  I'm not sure that ZOMBIE NIGHTMARE actually counts as a hair-band flick. But they were both excellent suggestions, guys! Rock on!

As for HARD ROCK ZOMBIES and ROCK AND ROLL NIGHTMARE, not having actually seen either one at this point, [But I'm obsessed with renting 'em now!] I'd still like to offer a comment or two based on the several reviews I've since read for each. I was gonna start with the former, but I think it would be easier to begin with ROCK AND ROLL NIGHTMARE.

Before giving my thoughts on that one, however, I've GOTTA say this first: I think that the soundbyte from "We Live To Rock" is THE greatest, most hysterical audio clip on your entire site, Andrew! Add to it that classic comment beside the link and I was laughing [not to mention headbanging] so hard I think I may have hurt something! [If you, or anybody else, might know where I can download the entire song, if there is one, I'd appreciate the info!] As for the reviews I've read of the movie itself....oh yeah, there WAS a movie to go along with that jam, wasn't there?.... It seems to me that Thor! must have been greatly inspired by the original cover art for Stryper's "To Hell With The Devil", which came out a year before his film. Man, between this movie and SOULTAKER my concept of  angelic powers is really getting wild.

The scene in which Thor! is fending off the "throwing starfish" that are so obviously being tossed at him by off-camera guys reminded me of the point in THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK when Luke was trying to deflect the boxes that were being thrown at HIM by off-camera guys. Getting to freely throw stuff at Mark Hamill must have easily been worth whatever salary those guys were making! Hahahaha!

As for HARD ROCK ZOMBIES, even after reading a good three reviews, I still can't find the right words to express my thoughts....This has to be one of the strangest sounding movies I've ever heard of! [Strange as in something that Mike and the 'bots, or I, would be willing to watch.] And a list of viewer comments I came across ran the gamut from high praise to open hostility. The one thing I am sure of at this point, however, is that "the band" [So what's in a name?] possesed the ultimate secret, in that mysterious book from the Middle Ages, for staging endless successful comebacks and reunion tours. Just raise 'em up once or twice every decade and let 'em rock!.... Come to think of it, I bet somebody in Areosmith owns a copy of that freakin' book. Hahaha!

And, finally, I think that I would do myself a serious injustice if I didn't end by saying....

I LIVE TO ROCK!

Hz
Andrew
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2002, 05:44:28 AM »

Check here for "We Live to Rock" (which might really be "Relive to Rock, both of those song names caught my eye):

http://www.thorkorr.com/discography.htm

Oh, and the soundtrack to "Rock 'n' Roll Nightmare" (aka "The Edge of Hell") was released on LP.  Yikes!

Andrew
Hairzilla
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2002, 02:46:05 PM »

Thanks for providing that link, as well as the soundtrack info, Andrew. I really appreciate it!  

ROCK ON!

Hz
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  1986: A bad horror dynasty « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.