Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:26:19 PM
714379 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  What was that film? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What was that film?  (Read 1075 times)
Inyarear
Bad Movie Lover

Slimo! Slimo! Slimo!

« on: August 04, 2006, 07:10:36 PM »

Back in the 1980s when I was a kid, my mother took me to see a film which I thought I remembered was called "The Little People." Years later, when we rented a video of Darby O'Gill and the Little People, I was expecting to refresh an old childhood memory, but no, that was a completely different story.

My memories of it are fragmentary now, and no amount of searching on the usual engines seems to turn up anything matching its description. What I remember is this: that there was something in it about finding a leprechaun at the end of the rainbow, but not the pot of gold for which the children were hoping; that it had these children traveling to a land of leprechauns or fairies or something; that the queen of these people had no children, and was therefore planning to adopt her human visitors as her own; and that she planned to do so by sending the children down a chute into a pit with some magical monster in it known as the slime-bo (or maybe slimbo) that had the power to transform and improve her subjects in some way (give them wings, for example).

Meanwhile, back in our world, there was a subplot about a man who'd somehow gotten ahold of some magic dust from a little person; the dust, which produced some kind of temporary telekinetic abilities in its user (lifting tables and chairs and so forth), was addictive, and using it was slowly driving the man crazy; the little person trying to recover the dust was doing so with the help of some kind of tall dark hobo character; this hobo and the children were the only ones who could see him, since they actually believed in the fairy-tales on which this story is based; and in the climax of the film, the man with the bag of magic dust loses control and accidentally zaps his grown-up daughter, who can then only be brought back to life through the magic in which only the kids and the hobo and their otherworldly associates believe (I think).

Does anyone have any idea what film this is? I don't remember ever seeing it again anywhere else but during its theatrical run.
Gerry
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2006, 10:04:27 AM »

Just a guess, but it might be THE SNOW QUEEN (1986).  There are some screen shots here:

http://www.youngactressreviews.org/reviews/the_snow_queen/
Inyarear
Bad Movie Lover

Slimo! Slimo! Slimo!

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 02:50:50 PM »

Nice guess, but no. After a lot more digging, I finally came up with the answer: "The Great Land of Small" which is apparently a very Canadian film. (It's filmed in Canada and set in Canada with Canadian actors.) This would explain how I got a chance to see it: when I was a child, I used to live in Minnesota. After working with different combinations of key words from my fragmented memories, I turned up this site on it:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/6303340911/103-7406944-2200606?v=glance&n=404272

It's kid of surprising (I think) that this piece hasn't been made into a DVD yet. Practically everything else has including films that could be used as torture instruments. The mixed reviews I'm seeing so far indicate that for this film, either you love it, or you really, really hate it. I've got a copy on order now, so I'm about to find out what those pleasant memories are worth for myself.

I'll be sure to report back when I do.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  What was that film? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.