Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:23:49 PM
713351 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The absolute worst idea for a movie ever! « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: The absolute worst idea for a movie ever!  (Read 10964 times)
WyreWizard
Bad Movie Lover

« on: August 10, 2006, 11:47:00 PM »

I never in my 35 years of life ever thought that the movie industry would sink to such a low.  I've often wondered who was funding these terrible films.  Now I wonder what the heck Samuel L. Jackson was thinking even starring in that film.  Yes, you know what I'm talking about, "Snakes on a plane."  Now there's a very fine line between art and pure trash and this movie crosses that line by hundreds of miles.

I won't get into the implausibilities of the film since I haven't seen it yet and most likely never will.  But I must ask this:  What real-life criminal would think of putting hundreds of venomous snakes on a passenger jet to kill a witness?  Normally, most poisonous snakes shy away from humans.  The only way they attack humans is when humans violate their territory.  The most aggressive snake is the Taipan.  That snake will strike a person repeatedly in rapid succession.  They are found in Austrailia.
And for that matter, how did they get hundreds of poisonous snakes on that plane?  You'd think that would be incredibly hard in a post-911 world.

If I were the writers of this film, I'd scrap the snakes and exchange them for a time bomb.  If any of you are intrigued by the idea of this film, God help us all.

Babe, I'm leaving.  I must be on my way.  The time is drawing near.  The train is going.  I see it in your eyes.  The love beneath your tears.  And I'll be lonely without you.  And I'll need your love to see me through.  So please me.  My heart is your hands.  And I'll be missing you...
Texdar
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2006, 01:00:26 AM »

I find it funny when people criticize a movie before they see it.

I bent my wookie!
Foywonder
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2006, 01:24:28 AM »

I think it's even funnier what he's attacking the movie for and that he's doing it on a bad film message board.

NOW SHOWING IN FOYEURISM:
GOLDEN BAT - Feast your eyes on the wildest, wackiest, funkiest, Chiba-est Japanese superhero movie you've probably never heard of
B-WARE THE BLOG! - My blog devoted to the schlocktastic!
Mr_Vindictive
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2006, 05:44:33 AM »

I'm with both Foy and Texdar.  I'd be surprised if most of us on this board WEREN'T intrigued by the plot and the film.

And a time bomb?  That's only been done how many times?  And isn't that also implausable in this post 9-11 world, as you put it?

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
BeyondTheGrave

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2006, 06:59:44 AM »

WyreWizard Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>  If any of you are intrigued by the idea of this film, God
> help us all.

I might be coming off as a wiseass but do you understand that this is a B-movie board? We are intrigued by dead people coming back to life to eat brains, Gingerbread cookies killing people, Dolls killing people, killer fish like a goldfish the most ferocious of all fish, mutated conjoined twins killing people and a future where even though we are in dire need of gas were driving V-8 engined car suped up know less.

Snakes on a Plane......Crap I wish I thought of it......how about ZOMBIES ON A PLANE.

Most of all I hate dancing then work,exercise,people,stupidpeople

Yaddo 42

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2006, 07:03:37 AM »

TIme bombs implausible these days? Considering the new restictions on liquids in carry on bags after the arrests in the London plane bombing plot, you can't entirely rule them out in real life so you can't rule them out in entertainment. Played out concept maybe? But played out concepts aren't illegal.

As for "Snakes on a Plane": it's a made to order "popcorn movie" (they even did reshoots to add footage built around online fan interest from the movie's internet hype/marketing campaign) not a docudrama like "United 93". If you're going to take the film or its premise seriously, you're missing the point. I admit I'm a little sick of the internet hype, the ads, the various marketing schemes, and the unavoidable Samuel L. Jackson (but I was a little sick of seeing and hearing him everywhere long before this film appeared) but I'll probably still catch it at the second run cheapo theater because it seems like a perfect low expectations, fun for fun's sake, stupid enjoyable genre movie. The movie sounds perfect for this website and a those of us who turn up here. Lump it in with other high concept, higly improbable airplane action/disaster/genre movies. Think "Executive Decision", The "Turbulence" films, the whole "Airport" series from the 70s, "The Horror at 37,000 Feet", or tons of others that people here could name.

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
Yaddo 42

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2006, 07:17:45 AM »

Oh almost forgot, Time magazine had some article on Jackson and SOAP I glanced at (adding to my own overkill) the other day. They had a headline about Jackson saying that he makes the kind of movies he wants to see. So THAT explains "Formula 51", "Amos & Andrew", "The Man", "Basic", "Sphere", that stupid "Shaft" remake, etc.

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2006, 08:00:48 AM »

And besides, there is an entire genre built around hot, lesbian women in prison who take many, many showers and wear make-up and shave their legs and armpits regularly. As long as movies like this exist, Snakes on a Plane CANNOT be the worst (okay, most implausible) movie idea ever.

Also, I personally own a movie, The Godmonster of Indian Flats, which uses an eight-foot-tall mutant sheep as its title character. This is a far worse idea than snakes on a plane could ever be.

I could go on with example after example, but I think I'll stop.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
akiratubo

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2006, 08:09:28 AM »

Repeat to yourself: "It's only a movie."

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2006, 09:12:43 AM »

I think we have a front-runner in the "#1 BadMovies.org Troll" contest.  (aimed at Wyred, not Akiratubo)

We saw a SoaP ad on TV last night and my wife said "what?"  I told her it's just a popcorn flick and one that does not take itself too seriously.  She just laughed and shook her head.

We seem to have come to a point where just "fun" nonsense movies are rare enough that when one comes out, that alone is newsworthy.  The 50's and then the 80's were both good decades for this kind of flick; I think we are overdue.

I say take the realism out of movies.  I see reality all the time (the news, life around me, etc).  I'm sick of ham-handed films whose directors think they will "change the world" or try to "make me think."  Or that try to educate me on some topic.  I want fun, mindless entertainment much of the time, and SoaP fits that bill.

(That said, I do still like my serious sci-fi).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2006, 09:53:18 AM »

Read this interview. Jackson is absolutely unapologetic about this movie. I agree with him people have read about and seen the trailers, so they know what they're getting when they go see the movie.

Looks like a hoot to me. Who the hell said movies had to be realistic? Most people go to movies to get a break from realism.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
WyreWizard
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2006, 11:12:45 AM »

rich andrini Wrote:

> Snakes on a Plane......Crap I wish I thought of
> it......how about ZOMBIES ON A PLANE.

Why not go ahead, write that script and start knocking down the doors of hollywood investors for funding?  Zombies have happened.

Babe, I'm leaving.  I must be on my way.  The time is drawing near.  The train is going.  I see it in your eyes.  The love beneath your tears.  And I'll be lonely without you.  And I'll need your love to see me through.  So please me.  My heart is your hands.  And I'll be missing you...
loyal1
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2006, 11:17:14 AM »

Are you kidding...I can't wait until this movie comes out.  I am looking forward to seeing it.
WyreWizard
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2006, 11:20:08 AM »

trek_geezer Wrote:
> Who the hell said movies
> had to be realistic? Most people go to movies to
> get a break from realism.

Well who the hell said movies had break the rules of reality to a degree of extremity?  I don't go to movies to get a break from realism (I use video games for that) I go to movies to see a good story.

Its such a shame to see a great veteran actor like Samuel L. Jackson sink to this all-time low.

ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2006, 11:22:40 AM »

WyreWizard Wrote:
>
> Well who the hell said movies had break the rules
> of reality to a degree of extremity?

No one.  But they CAN break all the rules they want.  It's called artistic license.

If you don't want to go see SoaP, don't go see it.  You know, you DO have that control.  And I'm sure Samuel L. Jackson will be broken up by your absence.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The absolute worst idea for a movie ever! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.