Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:11:54 PM
714223 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  New Wicker man « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: New Wicker man  (Read 7028 times)
raj
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: August 17, 2006, 01:52:20 PM »

Just saw the first ad for the new The Wicker Man.  Anyone excited by it?  Somehow I don't think Nicholas Cage is going to do better then Edward Woodward.
And I don't think there's going to be a pretty young starlet reprising Britt Eckland's nude dance.   I'll take the original, please.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 03:38:12 PM »

I'm not excited by it, and as good as Nic Cage can be, I don't think he'll top Woodward's performance,  which, for my money, is one of the best performances I've ever seen in a horror film. But, as I have never seen the original, at least in its entirity, this is one of the few remakes I do plan on seeing.
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 08:46:05 PM »

Yes, and they have Ellen Burstyn playing the Christopher Lee part. I don't know for sure what they're substituting for the whole virginity thing.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Yaddo 42

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2006, 06:14:43 AM »

It's supposed to be a matriarchial commune rather than an isolated modern pagan village, if I read correctly. So I'm guessing it'll take a male vs. female perspective of the events of the story as opposed to the strict Christianity vs. fervent paganism of the original.

Or maybe if they keep the religious conflict of the original it could be American-style fundamentalism vs New Age/Wicca/Gaia worship. If they try either one of these perspectives, I have some hope for the film, as long as they don't cheat and make one side out to be phonies or hypocrites. That was one of the strengths of the original, both Sgt. Howie and the islanders were completely sincere in their beliefs. Each saw what was happening only from their own perspective and were convinced of the truth of what they saw was playing out. And in the end by the tenents of those beliefs each got something they saw a worthwhile. The Islanders got their sacrifical fool, and Howie could be considered a martyr, since he died for keeping to his faith no matter the temptation.

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2006, 07:24:33 AM »

I like your take on the original there Yaddo, I remember how hard Sgt Howie fights the temptation.

I have to say the big surprise is Christopher Lee as Lord Summerisle. It's totally opposite from the intense parts he usually plays. It also proves that he is indeed a very good actor.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Yaddo 42

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2006, 09:34:23 AM »

He even overcomes that wig to give a great performance. Lee himself apparently considers The Wicker Man his best work.

I've read in depth analyses of the theological conflict of the original other places, so I can't claim that my take is completely my own. But even from the first time I saw the film I respected that however bizarre, cruel, or inhumane the islanders' beliefs and practices appeared to Howie or to we viewers they were always genuine in their conviction that what they were doing was right through the film. It was right and even necessary, far as they were concerned, to trick Howie and do what they do to him since to them it is alien and foolish to NOT be sexually active.

There's a saying that in a good play, everybody is right. I take that to mean that good writing doesn't cop out by undermining one side or the other, or but that the points of the conflicting sides will stand on their own merit rather than making one side mustache-twirling villains just to generate conflict. The Wicker Man has that honest clash of deeply held beliefs without the "cheating that I mentioned earlier. That's why I think if the new version is to have any chance at being a good film, it has to have an honest conflict of views and not just yet another lone hero in a creepy remote setting with mysterious and untrustworthy locals.

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
loyal1
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2006, 01:11:41 PM »

Yes, Woodward did a great performance in the original.  As for the new version, I have not read too much in what twist they are giving it in comparison to the original.  I respect Cage as an actor though and I can't see him doing it an injustce.

Either way, it is on my list to see and quite curious.  I am sure we will be revisting this when it comes out :)
BeyondTheGrave

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2006, 01:40:08 PM »

I'm going to check this out too. I never heard of the Wicker Man unitl I came to this board and alot of you guys were talking about it. I rented about a 2 months ago and was blown away. Like Yaddo pointed out both sides believed in their religions and ti was portrayed as such.

I know the remakes themes have definitely changed as Hollywood won't take their chances with themes such as religous conflicts. I just hope its something mature that can stand up to the original themes.

Most of all I hate dancing then work,exercise,people,stupidpeople

loyal1
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2006, 02:20:56 PM »

Hasn't hollywood done the religious conflict theme many times?  And if they can take their chances 9/11 themes and such.  I don't feel there is much hollywood wont touch so long as it makes money.
BeyondTheGrave

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2006, 02:41:09 PM »

loyal1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hasn't hollywood done the religious conflict theme
> many times?  And if they can take their chances
> 9/11 themes and such.  I don't feel there is much
> hollywood wont touch so long as it makes money.

True but I don't think for a movie like this their would be equally present side like the original Wicker Man. I think that whole theme would have been dropped from the remake.

With that the remake hasn't come out yet so maybe its still in place.

Most of all I hate dancing then work,exercise,people,stupidpeople

peter johnson

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2006, 06:06:07 PM »

I"m still getting backers for my musical claymation remake of "Citizen Kane" -- we're putting in a few sex scenes as well, but promise to stay close to the spirit of the original . . .
peter johnson/denny crane

I have no idea what this means.
LH-C
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2006, 11:37:33 AM »

The original was awesome. The new movie will suck. That's all I have to say.

Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2006, 01:58:13 PM »

I cannot support the new Wicker Man as the Edward Woodward was so amazing.   I have to list this as an unnecessary remake.  
Soon there will be a new Gone With the Wind. Starring Lawrence Fishburne and J. Lo.  

-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2006, 04:37:57 PM »

Ed Wrote:
> Starring Lawrence Fishburne and J. Lo.  
>

You know, that might be worth seeing.  Especially if Laurence Fishburn opens up on Lopez a la John Hull in DEEP COVER.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
LH-C
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2006, 05:00:08 PM »

ulthar Wrote:
> Ed Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Starring Lawrence Fishburne and J. Lo.  
> >
>
> You know, that might be worth seeing.  Especially
> if Laurence Fishburn opens up on Lopez a la John
> Hull in DEEP COVER.

Hilarious. Absolutely hilarious....

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  New Wicker man « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.