Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:41:58 AM
714351 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  What if Snakes on a Plane was named something else? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What if Snakes on a Plane was named something else?  (Read 3076 times)
Alan Smithee
Bad Movie Lover

« on: August 24, 2006, 07:35:29 PM »

Pacific Air 121 (or whatever it was originally called)?

Or what if it, as one critic joked, was called "Anaconda 3: Flight of Fear"?

"Yeah, but Sam Jackson is in it."

Jackson was in the Star Wars prequels and was terrible in those.

I have to laugh at this over-hyped movie underperforming at the box office.
daveblackeye15
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006, 10:23:40 PM »

If it were something else then Jackson would have left becaues that was the one reason he accepted the role.

Now it's time to sing the nation anthem IN AMERICA!!!

Bandit Keith from Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged Series (episode 12)
Shadowphile
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2006, 01:58:17 AM »

This movie will have an internet existance far beyond it's deserving just because of the cheesyness of the subject matter.....
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2006, 06:45:28 AM »

This has got me thinking.Could anyone get away with titling a movie NIGHT of BLOODY HORROR or HORROR of the BLOOD MONSTERS nowadays? Rob Zombie pulled offHOUSE of a 1000 CORPSES...but can you picture BLOODTHIRSTY BUTCHERS on a headline marquee at your local multi-plex?OR the SEXORCIST? JESSE JAMES meets FRANKENSTIEN'S DAUGHTER?

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Yaddo 42

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2006, 08:13:12 AM »

I'm sure the paycheck had nothing to do with Jackson's decision to stick with the film. Just like he made "Formula 51" since he really wanted to wear a kilt and hit people with his golf clubs. Or he made "Rules of Engagement" since he wanted to overact and yell on a courtroom set again like in "A Time to Kill" (actually that's one of the reasons I figured the studio wanted to make it, and Sherry Lansing wanted to get husband William Friedkin off the couch).

But the blunt direct cheesiness of the title is certainly key to the genuine parts of the internet buzz the film generated. It saved people much of the trouble of having to answer the question "What's it about?" As an example, a woman I work with, who never goes to the movies anymore, and never talks about current or upcoming films, was aware of the film and told how she would never go see it since she hates snakes so much even though several of us pointed out the inherent absurdity and implausibility of the film's concept.

Like it's been said, "Pacific Air 121" sounds like it could be a film about anything as long as an airliner was somehow involved. Another thriller like Red Eye or Flightplan, a scifi film about a plane that goes missing, a big scren ripoff of :Lost", a comedy about a man afraid to fly, a romantic comedy starring Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan about two frequent flyers, a chick flick about a group of women going to their class reunion, a serious drama about a man unhappy with his life flying home for the funeral of his father who he was estranged from, etc etc etc......

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2006, 08:32:31 AM »

I saw SNAKES ON A PLANE and I think one of the following alternate titles would have been appropriate:

* STUPIDITY ON THE SCREEN

* SUCKERS AT THE BOX OFFICE

* SAMUEL  L. JACKSON: THE NEW JOHN SAXON?

* MONEY DOWN THE DRAIN

* SAMUEL L. JACKSON IS A WHORE

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
daveblackeye15

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2006, 02:06:13 PM »

Chill Burgomaster, I certainly didn't waste my money for this.

Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2006, 03:24:04 PM »

Hey Burgo followed the hype.  He has a right to be mad.   And I know we all have done it at one time or another.  I recently was reminded that I was an avid drinker of a beverage called "OK Cola".  
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OK_Soda

But I digress .
What I can't deal with is the "Blank on a blank" jokes that are showing up everywhere.
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
daveblackeye15

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2006, 04:58:58 PM »

Well I've made it a habit to not get caught up in the hype.

Which is why I was only some what disappointed by The Phantom Menace instead of ready prepping myself to kill Lucas.

I just watched the whole hype of this movie with an amused look and said 'maybe I'll check it out.'

Fearless Freep

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2006, 07:22:32 PM »

Hey, it's a B movie with Samuel Jackson and a budget

I'm definitely going to see it

I'm just waiting for DVD, like I do with all movies.  I only see movies on the big screen anymore if they *really* look like they need the full screen size and sound system, but this isn't one of them

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2006, 06:23:40 AM »

Actually, my original intention was to see WORLD TRADE CENTER, but I got to the theater late so I decided to see SNAKES instead.  The thing that really disturbs me is that when the UNRATED DIRECTORS CUT of SNAKES comes out on DVD, I'll probably buy it . . .

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  What if Snakes on a Plane was named something else? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.