Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:07:55 PM
713351 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  What Was That Film?  |  Solved  |  Anyone know this movie? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Anyone know this movie?  (Read 9280 times)
matt89670
New Visitor

« on: August 25, 2006, 10:30:47 AM »

Saw this when I was a kid and now I'm trying to find it again. It was a post-apocalyptic type movie with ruined cities and a breakdown in society, probably made in the 70s or 80s or early 90s. What I remember was people were very distrustful of each other and walked around carrying guns. Two scenes I remember, a mother carries a rifle to her son's room and uses it to open the door and wake him, because he has a gun under his pillow. When he goes downstairs his dad gives him some bullets before he leaves the house. The son goes to play some arcade game about politeness. He has an arcade style gun and video simulations pop up (such as a neighbor offering lemonade) and he has to give an appropriate response. After he leaves the arcade, he comes across 2 other guys and the three of them are in a standoff until some floating VR creature appears overhead. That's all I remember. If anyone knows the name of this movie I'd appreciate it.
dean
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2006, 10:44:45 AM »

Sorry matt, no idea.  Though the date range spanning three decades is very specific. :-P

I kid, of course.

But that video game about politeness sounds like a wacky one.  What was an appropriate response to the neighbour offering lemonade?  Shoot them with a light gun and then steal his lemonade?

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
matt89670
New Visitor

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2006, 11:37:30 AM »

No, a neighbor pops up offering lemonade and the guy shoots her in the game. He doesn't get points and an "appropriate" response would have been to say no thank you or something. I saw the movie before 1994 so it was made sometime before then, hence spanning 3 decades, probably 80s though.
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2006, 12:39:42 PM »

I know this is NOT it, but for some reason (the floating VR head reference I think) made me think of the second segment of NIGHTMARES - "The Bishop of Battle."  I don't think it had a lemonade stand, though.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Herodotus
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2006, 07:59:36 PM »

No name either, but I recall the ending:

*******Spoilers Alert*****
He plays the game for a long time and almost reaches his goal of the highest score, but he doesn't get his tokens into the game on time to keep it going and doesn't break the record. The expectation is he'll go nuts, instead he accepts it and thus the screen announces he's set the new record. The kid returns home a mellow and nicer person which freaks his mother out and she shoots him. The end.

Its seemd like it was something I saw as a short subject on SciFi or USA back in the ealry 90's and it seemed either British or Aussie.
  Now I've got to go hunting for this, its driving me nuts. LOL

Slimo! Slimo! Slimo!

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2006, 10:56:56 PM »

It does sound like a heck of a story; the point of it seems to be that if society were as violent as some of our video games currently are, people would be making video games about peaceful activities instead of the violent ones they make for us now when we're mostly insulated from real violence. It reminds me of an old satirical story in which Santa Claus tells an American girl that he's bringing her little brother a toy rocket launcher for Christmas; when she tells him she'd prefer for him to bring her brother a peaceful little rubber ball instead, Santa replies "Sorry. They've all been shipped out already to fill children's orders in Iran."

As to what the name of your movie would be, I haven't the foggiest. I tried looking up "lemonade" on the Internet Movie Database, but so far I don't see anything quite matching your description. It sounds made-for-TV, since you mention it was a short. Maybe it was an episode of something? I'd suggest telling us not just what you remember for sure, but also anything you tentatively remember. When I was looking for a movie from my childhood that turned out to be The Great Land of Small, I didn't quite get every detail right from memory, but I was close enough that my search terms finally turned it up on a search engine. See if you can remember anything about the how the characters looked, or how they acted. How old was the son, do you think? How about the mother? How were the people dressed? See if you can give us more peripheral details like that.
matt89670
New Visitor

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2006, 12:46:25 AM »

Thanks Herodotus. I'm glad someone else has seen it. We just can't remember it.  lol   I'm starting to wonder if it was an episode of the outer limits or twilight zone? Well keep me updated if you find any more info.
Yaddo 42

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2006, 06:42:07 AM »

If it was possibly on USA, maybe it was an episode of "The Ray Bradbury Theater" or the new Alfred Hitchcock show, both shows aired around the time window the OP mentioned. Just a shot in the dark but it doesn't sound out of line with some of the episodes from those series.

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
matt89670
New Visitor

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2006, 04:43:01 PM »

Just a followup: Has anyone found out anything else about this show? Still waiting to find out what show it was.
Herodotus
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2006, 03:25:12 PM »

I've had no luck looking for this one. I've gone to the IMDB and done a search on English language, short films from between 1980-1995 but nothing came up that seemed like that title.

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2007, 08:20:12 AM »

Any new updates? I keep wondering what that show was. Anyone know or have an idea?
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2007, 01:08:10 PM »

Afraid nothing new, but it will remain here as an active topic until someone posts an answer.

If we get enough "unsolved" topics that have been inactive for a long period, I will probably create a child board called "unsolved archives" for them.  That way, they can still be identified as needing an answer, but separate from topics that have not gone stale yet.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
matt89670
New Visitor

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2007, 02:16:04 AM »

Some good news. I finally found out the name. It's called "Arcadia". It was a british short done around 1990. http://www.channel4.com/film/reviews/film.jsp?id=111110

Now I just need help finding a viewable copy. That's the bad news.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  What Was That Film?  |  Solved  |  Anyone know this movie? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.