Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:29:41 PM
714369 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Unidentified Insect... « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Unidentified Insect...  (Read 4772 times)
loyal1
« on: August 27, 2006, 11:41:22 AM »

OK, so last night I saw this bug in my room...It flies, and has really long antennas (twice it's body size) brown with black spots and kind of like a body of a cricket I suppose.  I sprayed him with disenfectant and Windex.  He seemed dead, and I couldn't touch him, not even with a paper towel.  I was going to wait for my roommate to dispose of him.  I have this crazy thing about certain insects and spiders...and this one got to me.

I wake up this morning and there is no sign of this insect...which is amazing and worries me.  How can he not be dead?  where did he go?  Did he crawl in my mouth while I slept and it is going to be an invasion like Creepshow's cockroaches???

I live in Florida...Palm beach county and trying to figure out what the hell this thing is.  If any of you have ideas let me know...please!
akiratubo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2006, 04:33:59 PM »

Sounds like a cave cricket, aka camel cricket, but they don't have wings.  Some species of roaches could be taken as crickets and do have wings.

Either way, it was probably dead and something else just took it away to eat it.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Shadowphile
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2006, 05:01:27 PM »

I once crushed a large horsefly in a sliding window.  As I watched, the damned thing spawned maggots which proceeded to push the fly more than four inches before I decided to use a kleenex to kill them and removed the fly.  

Also, Windex & disinfectant likely only stunned it....

check this link.  It should help you ID your critter.  

http://www.projects.ex.ac.uk/bugclub/bugid.html
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2006, 05:58:56 PM »

Are you sure you are not testing a Bad Movie script idea on us?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
loyal1
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2006, 06:01:13 PM »

I wish it was so my friend.  Hmmm, I said "my friend"  don't you hate that expression "buddy", ""pal", "my friend" from a stranger? lol.  Anyway still no trace of him but no legs or antenna stuck in my teeth.
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2006, 08:45:18 PM »

Windex & disinfectant!?
How cruel!
Evil looking bugs deserve a quick death.  :)
BeyondTheGrave

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2006, 11:40:18 PM »

Shadowphile Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I once crushed a large horsefly in a sliding
> window.  As I watched, the damned thing spawned
> maggots which proceeded to push the fly more than
> four inches before I decided to use a kleenex to
> kill them and removed the fly.  

You know the same thing happened to me but I used regluar bug killing stuff like Raid. I sprayed it and it laided a bunch of maggots that were still moving through the spray until I soaked up the entire area.

Most of all I hate dancing then work,exercise,people,stupidpeople

Neville

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2006, 04:36:33 AM »

So you're a bug-a-phobic, loyal1? So am I. It's really humiliating sometimes, because many people don't share our problem. But it has its good side, bleieve me. Just watch "Mimic" or the Masters of Horror episode called "Sick Girl", and notice how easily your adrenaline starts pumping.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Yaddo 42

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2006, 08:39:15 AM »

My cousin used to use the electric starter button from an old gas grill to shock and stun the bugs that gathered on his patio door. Kind of like a mad scientist running nefarious experiments on the bugs. Seeing how many shock it took to kill the big ones, for example.

The bug kingdom is probably plotting some nasty karmic revenge for him even as we speak.

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
Fearless Freep

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2006, 08:44:16 AM »

The bug kingdom is probably plotting some nasty karmic revenge for him even as we speak.

Great..and the rest of use will probably get caught in the 'crossfire'

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2006, 08:56:13 AM »

Yaddo 42 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My cousin used to use the electric starter button
> from an old gas grill to shock and stun the bugs
> that gathered on his patio door. Kind of like a
> mad scientist running nefarious experiments on the
> bugs. Seeing how many shock it took to kill the
> big ones, for example.

Even better...
Back in high school I was good friends with a guy named Larry King and he was a genius when it came to disassembling electronics and tinkering with them.
He took a small blue colored radio transistor case, removed the contents, re-wired them & added a photocell of some kind with other electronic parts.
He then added a regular plug-in cord...the kind we all use on electrical devices.
He filed down the two prongs that normally go into any standard outlet so they were small "nubs".
Once, he tried explaining to me how it worked and even took it apart to show me but I was dumbfounded.

When switched on, it made that super high whining sound...like a camera does. (this was from the photocell)

Once fully charged, all you had to do was touch those nubs to anything and "ZAP!"
He brought it to school once and touched it to my locker...POW!
It made an almost deafening pop and a bright spark.
It left a black mark on my locker that couldn't be rubbed off and remained there until I graduated.
As far as I know it's still there.

Behind his house was a large backyard that was infested with Boxelder Bugs
I remember bringing out a glass of water and pouring a small amount on the ground to make a little puddle.
We'd grab one of those bugs and put it in the middle of the water.
It would try to swim like mad to reach safety...its legs skittering all over the place.
That's when Larry would fire that device of his up and touch the nubs to the water.
The bug would literally be electrocuted and would clench up and shake.

Fun stuff!
Neville

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2006, 05:16:01 PM »

For some reason, when Ash mentioned the Karmic revenge thing, I started thinking in that Simpsons episode where diminute people enter Bart's head and reenact the trench run from Star Wars behind his eyes.

Now imagine the same thing with flying beetles. Ouch.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
odinn7

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2006, 07:30:58 PM »

There are a number of different species of grasshoppers in Florida and some of them have the appearance of what you describe. Either way, it is most likely harmless.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
loyal1
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2006, 10:11:14 PM »

My roommate (who is male) said he found my bug I told him about crawling near my door.  He said it looked "pretty sick" and was able to kill him with ease.  But even he said "That things was #@%* up!"  He too never seen anything like it and even exagerated it's size from what I remember.  i think it's the antenna that throw you off.  I feel bad though...I wish he was dead like most insects are when I do that within a matter of minutes.  I feel like he suffered more than any bug should.  

If I only wasn't so phobic!  I couldn't touch the thing...not even to dispose of him when I thought he was dead.  I could hardly poke him with a pen for even that was too close.  He wasn't right.  He was like nothing I have ever seen and my roommate agrees.  Even he was weirded out by it.

I wonder what he was...
peter johnson

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2006, 11:46:41 PM »

Sounds like a "Longhorn Beetle" -- I'm too lazy to look up the Latin --
     No reason to kill them -- just scoop 'em up with a bit of newspaper and out the door he goes.
I've pretty much stopped killing things like that -- even the sometimes enormous spiders we get in the house here, we just call "scary friends" & push to one side if bothersome, but they usually manage to find their own way outside in a day or 2 -- Hell, I used to do creatively horrible things to katydids and daddy-long-legs, etc., For some reason, the older I get the less compelled I feel to do that --
peter shatner/denny johnson

I have no idea what this means.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Unidentified Insect... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.