Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:47:36 PM
714349 Posts in 53094 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Rock (1996) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Rock (1996)  (Read 1614 times)
dcjohnson
Dedicated Viewer

« on: August 30, 2006, 10:22:50 PM »

Proof that Michael Bay may have some good in him after all. I first saw this movie in theatres when it came out in 1996. I'm a pretty young guy and was even younger then, so I thought that this might be one of those films that wouldn't stand the test of time. Despite some generic chase scenes and action shots, I think that this is still at least a decent popcorn movie. Not as good as I remembered it, but still not completely awful and leagues beyond Armageddon and Pearl Harbor (Though to be fair I couldn't sit through the latter, something that almost never happens. Also Sean Connery's one-liners in this are fantastic.
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 12:58:42 AM »

I own this on VHS.
Gonna have to upgrade to the DVD version soon.
I too loved this film.
Great action and an even better musical score!

Best lines in the movie are:
"I'll take pleasure in guttin' you...boy"
And
"How do you like how that s**t works!?" after Nicholas Cage's character launches the rocket into that guy.
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 01:02:56 AM »

I like THE ROCK, and also have it on VHS.  It's one my wife really enjoys, too.

It's a mess, really, but still comes out being a fun film.  Of Bay's movies, it's the only one I own a copy of and the only one I care to sit through more than the initial viewing.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
dean

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 03:28:11 AM »

Own it on DVD and Video.

Love the movie.  It's the first one that got me into Harry Gregson-Williams' work which has become such a staple of popcorn action films, to the point where he essentially parodies himself by scoring Team America's 'cinematic' scenes.

Sure it's not an oscar movie by any strecth, but when it came out I was early teens and it had just enough sex, kick butt action and Connery one-liners to make it a very acceptable action film.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Yaddo 42

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2006, 06:26:20 AM »

Also the only Bay film I own. The quality of the actors elevates the film above his usual hack work. The characters are mostly cookie cutter, but Cage, Connery, Harris, Spenser, etc. manage to flesh them out. Ed Harris did a particularly good job making Hummel a fascinating and flawed villain. He has a change of heart, but it's too late and his underlings have their own ideas and none of his nobility and loyalty. I actually wanted a sequel or even a prequel built around the Mason character. Kind of the flip side of James Bond.

Overblown but in a good way. For all the noise and ADD editing, there was a brain behind parts of the movie. I even overlooked the jarring, choppy edited thrill ride scenes: the car chase and the mine car chase/shootout.  The Mason vs. Hummel patriotism sparring and the Goodspeed/Mason/Wommack interactions made a nice balance to the Bay and Bruckheimer bombast.

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
Neville

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2006, 06:04:40 PM »

True, this one stands as Michael Bay's only good film, although "Bad Boys 2" is its equal in terms of guilty plasureness, and it's thanks mainly because of the cast. My favourite bits are those with Ed Harris. Someone thought it was a good idea to write most of its dialogue in the preaching and pompous style of a XVIIIth century revolutionary, but he manages to deliver even that in the best way possible. That man is a real pro.

And nothing beats Connery scaring to death a gay hair stylist.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
akiratubo

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2006, 08:36:57 AM »

Nicholas Cage.  That name assures that I will stay far, far away from anything associated with it.  The Rock was the movie that finally sealed that for me.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2006, 11:53:45 AM »

If anybody remembers where "The Rock" left off, there was room for a sequel, and the film did enough business, there was talk of doing a sequel called "The Rock II," but I guess they never could come up with a storyline for the sequel.

As for Michael Bay, while he is directing a film version of "The Transformers," he is more on the producing side of things. Producing not only "The Transformers," but a prequel to "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre," a remake of "The Hitcher," and another in the "Friday the 13th" series.

As for Nic Cage, after this year's "The Wicker Man," which was just released, he is booked solid until 2009. He has four pictures coming out next year, including a sequel to "National Treausre" plus "Ghost Rider," "Next," and "Time to Kill." And he has four films scheduled for 2008: "Amarillo Slim," "The Dance," "Time Share," and "Electric God."
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Rock (1996) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.