Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 04:35:45 PM
714220 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Incredibly good and incredibly unrealistic film « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Incredibly good and incredibly unrealistic film  (Read 8276 times)
WyreWizard
Bad Movie Lover

« on: August 31, 2006, 03:26:25 PM »

We must all give kudos to Kevin Costner for creating an incredible film.  11 years ago, he created and released a film which had a great story, but was unrealistic in the extreme.  Now this doesn't qualify as a B movie because it had a total budget of over $200 million.  I feel that B movies have a budget of under a million.  Now the movie I am talking about is 1995's Waterworld.  Yes, I know you've all seen Waterworld and most of you like it.  The story was very well-written.  However, the writers of this film never studied much in their geography and biology classes.  The setting for this film is impossible and I'll tell you why:

1.  There is no way possible that every landmass on Earth can be submerged under water.  The fact is there isn't enough water on Earth to sink every landmass.  That one scene where Kevin is diving underwater to the sunken remains of Denver Colorado makes me laugh.  Denver is too high up on land and too far inland to be submerged.  Now if we melted all the ice and extracted all water from underground, how much would our lands sink?  20 or 30 feet at most.  But this film shows that all land has sunken hundreds of feet!  If I were one of the writers of this film, I'd destroy the Earth and put them all on a planet that is covered in water like what they have in the TV show Stargate Atlantis.  That would be a lot more believeable to everyone.

2.  If every landmass on Earth is submerged underwater, how is it that every human being is alive?
With all that water, the Earth becomes onlivable to land-dwelling creatures.  That water creates a lot of humidity, rendering the earth unlivably hot.  Also, the excessive amount of water would create other problems as well.  You all know what El Nino is.  That's when the surface of the pacifi ocean heats up and influences weather patters worldwide.  Well imagine the El Nino on an all-water Earth.  Forget hurricanes, you'd have hypercanes flying over the Earth's surface nonstop.  There would be no landmasses to stop them.  Earth would essentially become like Jupiter.

Babe, I'm leaving.  I must be on my way.  The time is drawing near.  The train is going.  I see it in your eyes.  The love beneath your tears.  And I'll be lonely without you.  And I'll need your love to see me through.  So please me.  My heart is your hands.  And I'll be missing you...
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 04:03:34 PM »

Ya know,regardless of the sense of this film...it STILL SUCKED. If it made scientific sense...it woulda sucked.If it cost 10,000 billion dollars-it would suck. If Jack Nicholson,Robert DeNiro,and Traci Lords starred in it..it would suck.It just was DULL.And I like Dennis Hopper. Amazing! I actually agree with Wyre Wizard!(Don't think I wanna swap spit,OK?)

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 04:03:36 PM »

Ya know,regardless of the sense of this film...it STILL SUCKED. If it made scientific sense...it woulda sucked.If it cost 10,000 billion dollars-it would suck. If Jack Nicholson,Robert DeNiro,and Traci Lords starred in it..it would suck.It just was DULL.And I like Dennis Hopper. Amazing! I actually agree with Wyre Wizard!(Don't think I wanna swap spit,OK?)

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Doc Daneeka
The Game is Finished?
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

It's neVer over!

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 04:18:13 PM »

Ya know,regardless of the sense of thi- Oh wait...

Anyway, I actually liked Waterworld despite it sucking and being so illogical, (global warming, bah...) a true epic! (No sarcasm here)

https://www.youtube.com/user/silverspherechannel
For the latest on the fifth installment in Don Coscarelli's Phantasm saga.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2006, 05:18:30 PM »

I FELL ASLEEP.NUFF SED.

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Neville

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2006, 06:10:28 PM »

I sort of like the first act, it's both serious enough and chessy and creative enough. Then it sinks (no pun intended) to a really dumb and childish level somehow.

If you want to start asking questions that will drive you insane about the movie, consider this one: How come it has passed enough time from Apocalyse to people forget there was land, to allow mutants to evolve from humans, but there are still cigarettes around?

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2006, 06:23:47 PM »

I liked the first half as well.  The world-building and mood setting was pretty good.  Then the Dennis Hopper "moroboat" gang showed up and I lost interest.   I expected a guy in bindage leathers and a mask to show up and gesticulate.
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Alan Smithee
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2006, 10:46:59 PM »

This movie has one thing going for it: it ws head of the global warming fad than most of Hollywood was at the time..
peter johnson

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2006, 11:38:35 PM »

Umm . . .
Er . . .
Well . .  .   I'm sorry, but . . . Okay, never mind --
peter j.

I have no idea what this means.
Alan Smithee
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2006, 12:28:51 AM »

Well put.
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2006, 01:16:17 AM »

The only dialogue I can ever remember from this movie was when the weird guy who wants to trade stuff with Mariner says, "It's paaaaper!" and sniffs it.
dean

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2006, 04:55:22 AM »

Bah, Waterworld was terrible.  Mad Max on water, and all that stuff.

And I still enjoyed it.  As annoying as he is, I actually have a soft spot for Kevin Costner movies.  

I don't really know why though, which does scare me.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Yaddo 42

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2006, 05:11:15 AM »

Just remember, Roger Corman passed on producing a film from the script at an earlier time, because the estimated budget of $5 million was too rich for his blood and his possible return. His film I would have liked to have seen.

Count me in with the bored set on this one. Costner and scifi just seem like a bad combo to me. Another film I've given multiple chances to but always change the channel at a commercial break and forget to come back.

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2006, 06:47:34 AM »

I like the part when Costner drinks his own pee.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Fearless Freep

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2006, 07:19:11 AM »

I enjoyed this movie.  I think it started out great but kinda fizzled out.

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Incredibly good and incredibly unrealistic film « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.