Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:50:40 PM
713356 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Incredibly good and incredibly unrealistic film « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Incredibly good and incredibly unrealistic film  (Read 8261 times)
Rombles
Dedicated Viewer

Stupid fat hobbit...

« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2006, 10:14:33 AM »

dean Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Bah, Waterworld was terrible.  Mad Max on water,
> and all that stuff.
>
> And I still enjoyed it.  As annoying as he is, I
> actually have a soft spot for Kevin Costner
> movies.  
>
> I don't really know why though, which does scare
> me.

You love crap, therefore liking this movie is not a problem!

Brrrrrrrraaaaaaiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnsssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!
dean
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2006, 10:17:36 AM »

"You love crap, therefore liking this movie is not a problem!"

But when it involves Kevin Costner even that goes too far!

But yeah, I wouldn't go so far as to say it's a really good one, but it is fun enough.  Sure it falls flat at the end, and the idea is kinda silly, but I liked what they were out to achieve, and as usual if it entertains you, it's worth the effort.  Plus I haven't seen Dennis Hopper in a role I didn't like him in.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2006, 10:53:47 AM »

Fearless Freep Wrote:
> I enjoyed this movie.  I think it started out
> great but kinda fizzled out.

Maybe if it just ended earlier it would have been a good movie - or at least one with an interesting, non-cookie cutter ending.  We would have never known if there was land or not, or what became of those on the quest.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2006, 11:02:46 AM »

My biggest problem with the movie was the gill-man thing. They made him out to be the next step in human evolution and then proceeded to do nothing with it.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Acidburn
Bad Movie Lover

When I was your age, television was called Books!

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2006, 11:22:06 AM »

I actually watched this last night when it came on TV.  I loved the fact that the smokers get the gas for their boats, planes and jet skies from a crude oil tanker. Because everyone knows that oil tankers have refineries built into them.  

All in all the film is alright I suppose. It has some entertaning parts.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The flowers are still standing...
Gerry
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2006, 12:20:30 PM »

Despite all the logic flaws and stupidities, I enjoyed this up until the part when Costner said how he wanted to rescue the girl because "she's my friend."  CHEEESSSYYY!!  That and the bungee jump from the baloon at the end.  That completely lost me.  Let's put it this way, I'd rather watch CHERRY 2000 again than WATERWORLD.

THE POSTMAN is a much better post-apocalyptic movie starring Costner.  It's not without flaws either, but far superior.  Sadly it fizzled in the box office, because nobody wanted to see another WATERWORLD.
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2006, 01:15:33 PM »

Waterworld may well be the best Kevin Costner movie ever!

Of course, that's about like saying "That's the least-stinky turd ever!" but I guess you take what you can get.

Sorry; NOT a Kevin "I can whine in monotone for hours" Costner fan.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2006, 01:32:02 PM »

Derf Wrote:
> Waterworld may well be the best Kevin Costner
> movie ever!
>
> Sorry; NOT a Kevin "I can whine in monotone for
> hours" Costner fan.

I'd have to put my vote in to BULL DURHAM to be the best Costner movie ever.  I love that movie - been known to watch it three times in one day.  I lived in Durham around when it was filmed, and going to the old Bulls ballpark was an absolutely BLAST.  I've never been to the new 'stadium' they built.

I'm pretty sure BULL DURHAM is the only Costner movie I own.  I sure am not rushing out to buy THE BODYGUARD or MESSAGE IN A BOTTLE.

Some might argue his best part was playing Alex the corpse in THE BIG CHILL.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Shadowphile
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2006, 02:27:20 PM »

Dances With Wolves is his best film.

I enjoyed Waterworld, despite the obvious flaws, such as the lack of directional control on the balloon but it still got them where they wanted to go.  I didn't bother to analyze it (although I did have the bizarre thought that the cigarettes would be terribly stale.  Odd when you consider I have always been a non-smoker).  I laughed when I saw that the tanker was the Exxon Valdez.  

The movie entertained me and that was all I asked it to do.

And for the record, I'm intending to watch Cherry 2000 before I see Waterworld again, along with Eve of Destruction and another randomly chosen chick robot movie.
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2006, 02:28:46 PM »

Bull Durham may be a better movie, and it may star Kevin Costner, but I'm not thoroughly convinced it's a "Kevin Costner movie." I know I'm being picky here, but when I personally refer to a "Kevin Costner movie," I mean one of the overblown bombasts that is driven by Costner's need to preach his views so that the unwashed masses can benefit from his benevolent wisdom [/sarcasm]. Movies like Dances With Wolves, Robin Hood or Waterworld just grate on me. Bull Durham is pretty much the start of Costner's self worship movies, but he wasn't quite in full swing yet, so I can sit through this one (or at least I did, several years ago).

I think I need a weekend; I'm waaaaay bitter today for some reason.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
Neville

« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2006, 02:39:03 PM »

I don't hate Costner as much as some other people. Certainly he is a mediocre actor, but this is common with too many other stars to be a real reason to hate him. I do hate his occasional tides of magalomania. Those are, more than anything else, the things that make both "Waterworld" and "The Postman" stink so badly in their worst moments -because they have some good ones as well.

I do think he has a certain talent as a filmmaker. I'm not among the "Dances with wolves" adorers, but "Open Range" is a very good film.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Incredibly good and incredibly unrealistic film « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.