Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:27:41 AM
713385 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  District B13 « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: District B13  (Read 4178 times)
Yaddo 42
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Where's that brick.......

« on: September 06, 2006, 07:46:24 AM »

Just watched the French action flick "District B13" this morning. It's set in a near future crime ridden ghetto for the poor and minorities outside Paris that has been walled off from the larger society. The story is a mish-mash of spot the influences from other films, a bit of 'Escape from New York", a bit of the "Transporter", a dash of "Die Hard", a touch of buddy cop films and HK action flicks, some parts even reminded me of westerns on crank.

The story is almost an afterthought, this is a Luc Besson production after all, but the action scenes and fights are the real reason to see this one. The first big chase/fight reminds me of parts of "Time and Tide" which is a good thing. The actress playing the hero's sister is super hot but underused, then again the first third of the film is just a prelude/set up for the main story and a way to introduce the players, almost a separate short film itself.

There are lines about what meanful statements are you making by burning cars, shades of the recent civil unrest in the housing complexes outside Paris, which 'm sure French or European audiences would appreciate more; but it really isn't that kind of film. Just take it for the fun amped up live action cartoon it is.

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
Gerry
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 09:24:42 AM »

I saw this a the local "art house" a month or so ago and really liked it.  The two leads, Cyril Raffaelli and David Belle accomplish some amazing action scenes.  Raffaelli is an incredible martial artist, and to appreciate David Belle's Parkour expertise (he is the founder of Parkour), you really have to see it in action.  He's definitely in the same category as Jackie Chan and I would say even ramps it up to the next level in certain sequences.  His moves remind me a bit of Brandon Lee as well.  I really want to get this one on DVD.

Here's a link to the trailer:

District B13 Trailer
Gerry
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006, 11:19:04 AM »

I just found this cool BBC advertisement featuring David Belle doing Parkour.  No wires folks!

David Belle -  BBC spot on YouTube Small | Large
Jim H

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2006, 01:53:31 PM »

Good film.  Only problem is all the best action is in the first half, and the end becomes disappointing as a result.
Gerry
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2006, 04:50:28 PM »

Time Magazine critics have named DISTRICT B13 as #9 on their list of top 10 films for 2006 (right above CURSE OF THE GOLDEN FLOWER):

Time Top 10 Movies

How's that for a recommendation?
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2006, 05:29:16 PM »

I have seen stuff along this same vein before and the energy and muscle strength that some of those people have is amazing.  They also have a very good grasp of how to bleed off momentum through redirection.  Very cool.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2006, 10:16:20 AM »

It's a pretty good movie.  I caught it on DVD when it was released.  Fun, and action packed.  A bit of an Escape From New York rip off, but it didn't much matter.  Loved the ending.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  District B13 « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.