Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:45:17 PM
713364 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Mistakes Horror movies make « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Mistakes Horror movies make  (Read 7736 times)
WyreWizard
Bad Movie Lover

« on: September 08, 2006, 11:09:50 AM »

Yes, we all love a good scare and nothing provides that good scare better than a good Horror flick.  To me a good Horror flick is one that is both scary and possible in real life.  However with most Horror flicks, I can't help but laugh at their flaws.  I mean you have all these things in horror flicks which can never be possible in real life and I will cover a few of those.

Severed heads being able to talk.  Yes, this has happened in a lot of flicks but the most famous of these is the Re-Animator films.  You have a head which has been removed from its body by often violent means.  But not only is it alive, but it is able to speak!  Even if you could somehow keep a severed head alive, it can never speak.  The most it could do is move its lips and you'd need someone who could read lips to understand what it is trying to say.  There are 2 things which a severed head needs to speak:  a larynx and a healthy set of lungs.  When we speak, our lungs force air through the vocal cords in our larynx forcing them to vibrate.  A severed head has only a collapsed larynx and no lungs.  And even more laughable than this is what happened in Death Becomes Her.  I know that film was a comedy.  But what happened to the main heroine was ridiculous in the extreme.  Her head was twisted 180 degrees yet she was able to breathe and speak.  This can never be possible because not only would her larynx be collapsed, but her trachea would be severed.  That's why we can't twist our necks 180 degrees.

The same villain returning in sequel after sequel.  This I find really stupid.  The sequel to a horror film having the same villain even though he/she was very clearly killed in the prior movie.  I swear writers of horror films have really lazy imaginations.  When a villain is killed in the prior film, there is no way he can return for the sequel.  I mean, c'mon.  Why not have a relative of the previous villain seek revenge in the sequel like what was done in Beowulf?  Ted Bundy was killed in Florida's electric chair in 1989.  But are innocent women still being killed the way he killed them?  No.  John Wayne Gacy was put to death in 1994,  But are teenage boys disappearing only to be later found in the crawlspace of some clown's house?  No.  Andrew Cunanan was shot to death in 1996.  But are gay men being found shot dead?  No and we should thank reality this never happens.

The dead being reanimated.  Yes, I know what you're thinking.  The dead have been brought back to life.  Yes, this is true.  However, they have only been brought back only minutes after dying.  A lot of horror films have shown the dead being revived hours, days, weeks, months even years after dying.  If you hope to revive a dead person, you have to work quickly.  Because when the vital organs have been oxygen-starved, revival will be impossible.  And after they are oxygen-starved, bacteria will begin the break down the soft tissues.  You have only 5 minutes to revive the dead person.  After that, there is no hope.

Long, drawn-out deaths.  Now I find this even more laughable.  A person being shot, and either screaming, saying a few last words or shooting back at his/her assassin before dying.  HELLO MOVIE-WRITERS!!!!  Death is instantaneous!!!  When you are shot in the heart, you immediately die then fall forward (or backwards, whichever way you are leaning.)  You don't gasp, grasp your wounded chest fall to your knees say a few last words then fall dead.  I don't know if any of you ever saw a person dying a violent death for real (and not in a movie) but if you did, I'm sure you didn't see them die a long and drawn out death.

Babe, I'm leaving.  I must be on my way.  The time is drawing near.  The train is going.  I see it in your eyes.  The love beneath your tears.  And I'll be lonely without you.  And I'll need your love to see me through.  So please me.  My heart is your hands.  And I'll be missing you...
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2006, 11:23:53 AM »

I like your posts.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
WyreWizard
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2006, 11:43:30 AM »

RCMerchant Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I like your posts.

I like it when you argue with me on my points.

Babe, I'm leaving.  I must be on my way.  The time is drawing near.  The train is going.  I see it in your eyes.  The love beneath your tears.  And I'll be lonely without you.  And I'll need your love to see me through.  So please me.  My heart is your hands.  And I'll be missing you...
Acidburn
Bad Movie Lover

When I was your age, television was called Books!

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2006, 11:54:20 AM »

Long, drawn-out deaths. Now I find this even more laughable. A person being shot, and either screaming, saying a few last words or shooting back at his/her assassin before dying. HELLO MOVIE-WRITERS!!!! Death is instantaneous!!! When you are shot in the heart, you immediately die then fall forward (or backwards, whichever way you are leaning.) You don't gasp, grasp your wounded chest fall to your knees say a few last words then fall dead. I don't know if any of you ever saw a person dying a violent death for real (and not in a movie) but if you did, I'm sure you didn't see them die a long and drawn out death.

I beg to differ with you on this my friend.  I have seen first hand what it is like when someone is shot in the heart. Death is NOT instant not even close. Just because the heart stops beating does not mean you fall down dead straight away. Your brain in still firing signals to your body saying something is wrong. You body will still react to those signals. Yes you will clutch your chest and gasp (providing your lungs are still intact). As for last words, I have seen people with such great injuries that you cannot believe they are still responsive and have them still be talking. The human body is a very strange thing. It can do alot more then you give it credit for.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The flowers are still standing...
Mr_Vindictive
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2006, 12:04:00 PM »

So if we all start agreeing with you, you'll disappear?  Wouldn't that be great!

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
WyreWizard
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2006, 12:14:16 PM »

Acidburn Wrote:
>The human body is a very strange thing.
> It can do alot more then you give it credit for.

Oh, really now?  Can a human body survive being exposed to temps of 2000 degrees or more?  Can a human body survive a fall from thousands of feet?  Can a human body carry thousands of tons by itself?  Can a human body jump over a tall skyscraper?  Can a human body survive all that nature can throw at it?  I'm afraid the human body is a lot more fragile than you give it credit for.

Acidburn
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2006, 02:59:51 PM »

Ok first off...Your entire argument has just changed.  We were speaking of what a body can do while on the verge of death. Not a debate on if  superman exists or not.  

So with that in mind allow me to show you what the meaning of fiction is.

Fiction - Noun:
1:A literary work based on the imagination and not necessarily on fact
2:A deliberately false or improbable account

God knows we all want to see movies that are based completely on fact. I know I myself am a huge documentary fan.

Stick to the learning channel if you have a problem with movies not being completely accurate. I actually enjoy watching a movie that has some entertainment value. No matter if it is scientifically plausable or not.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
WyreWizard
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2006, 03:44:03 PM »

Acidburn Wrote:
> Ok first off...Your entire argument has just
> changed.  We were speaking of what a body can do
> while on the verge of death. Not a debate on if
> superman exists or not.  
>
> So with that in mind allow me to show you what the
> meaning of fiction is.
>
> Fiction - Noun:
> 1:A literary work based on the imagination and not
> necessarily on fact
> 2:A deliberately false or improbable account
>
> God knows we all want to see movies that are based
> completely on fact. I know I myself am a huge
> documentary fan.
>
> Stick to the learning channel if you have a
> problem with movies not being completely accurate.
> I actually enjoy watching a movie that has some
> entertainment value. No matter if it is
> scientifically plausable or not.

Well, you were making the human body out to more than what it really is.  The human body isn't some mysterious cryptic device we know little about.  The human body has very few mysteries left.  We know a lot more about the human body now than we did in Leonardo Da Vinci's time.  Most of the human's body's mysteries were microscopic in nature.  We have learned a lot about the human body's formerly mysterious workings.  Among the mysteries have have solved are the causes of disease, the workings of human consciousness, the cause of paralysis, and the workings of the nervious system.  From all that we've learned, we have been able to develop better medicines that treat the actual causes rather than the symptoms.  Our knowledge has also helped us to age slower than our ancestors.  Prior to 1930, the average life expectancy was 45 years.  Now the averge life expectancy is twice that.  In the next century, the human body will have no mysteries left.

Fearless Freep

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2006, 03:59:11 PM »

In the next century, the human body will have no mysteries left.

Obviously you have no experience with women...they will always be a mystery

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Acidburn
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2006, 04:01:53 PM »

Ok I do not think there is anyone that will try to dispute that we do know alot more about the human body then we did hundreds of years ago. But even this fact does nothing to prove your previous claim that when the heart is pierced a body simply falls down dead.

Here is some information taken from
 Penetrating Cardiac Trauma
By: George L. Mayo*, B.A.

Over the last 30 years, the incidence of penetrating cardiac trauma has increased eight-fold. Classically, the majority of penetrating cardiac trauma cases have resulted from stab wounds in civilian settings and from missile injuries in war time. Missile injuries to the heart now occur with greater frequency than stab wounds in civilian settings (4,17) and are more lethal, with 11% of victims arriving at the trauma center alive compared to 40% of cardiac stab wound victims arriving alive (20).

Now if 11% survive this type of cardiac trauma....how can you possibly say that there is no way that a person can utter a last word before dying?  From the research that I have done the only type of death that is said to be instant is immediate disruption of brain function. Such as distruction of the brain stem.
I am not saying the the human body is some type of invincible fortress. I am simply saying that your example of being shot in the heart and falling down dead instantly is incorrect.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2006, 04:40:57 PM »

How did we go from a fun topic to a physiology lecture?  Lighten up, guys!

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2006, 04:59:25 PM »

About dead women,strangled teens,and shot gays...yes,it happens every day.There are serial killers all over the dam world.People have jumped from dam planes,had they're shoots fail,and live.I saw a TV show where a metal post went right into some poor basterds head,and he lived.I,personally, was in an end over end car wreck, thrown threw the sunroof  30 feet into a cornfield.And I was back to work in a month. When I was a kid,I saw another kid get his friggin HEAD SQUASHED under the wheel of some old lady's car,jump up, stagger around for a few seconds,and drop. As for villans like Mike Meyers and Jason and Dracula and what have you coming back to life...hey...its because of supernatural forces beyond our knowledge."But the supernatural doesn't exist!" Do you KNOW that for a fact? There is more to the universe than in your or my philosphys,WW.And yes,there are dead bodies in Captain Spauldings crawlspace.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Amanda
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2006, 05:44:42 PM »

See, now I enjoy the movies for exactly the reasons you're citing.  I love the suspension of disbelief!  I love zombies, especially.  I enjoy seeing villains return over and over, because I love seeing them get their asses kicked over and over.  Movies are fantasy, they're enjoyment, they're a break from reality.  And, need I say, the movies on this site fit even more precisely into that description than others.  

I'm not trying to argue here, but death isn't always instantaneous, and the human body still has MANY mysteries left.  Whether or not we're Superman is irrelevant.  The human body is an amazing thing, and can do amazing things.  

Actually, I'm not sure why I responded to this.  I don't think you can really believe anything you're saying, especially in this format!  You can't possibly enjoy movies simply for the entertainment value, if you do truly mean your comments.  

I suppose my response here was my suspension of disbelief talking.  :0)

Amanda
WyreWizard
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2006, 06:25:20 PM »

RCMerchant Wrote:
> As for villans like Mike
> Meyers and Jason and Dracula and what have you
> coming back to life...hey...its because of
> supernatural forces beyond our knowledge."But the
> supernatural doesn't exist!" Do you KNOW that for
> a fact? There is more to the universe than in your
> or my philosphys,WW.And yes,there are dead bodies
> in Captain Spauldings crawlspace.

Where in recorded history are there credible testimonies of supernatural beings killing people, being killed, coming back to life to resume their murder sprees, being killed again only to come back to life over and over again?  I will not argue against the supernatural as it has not been fully proven or disproven.  Never in recorded history has there ever been an undead being drinking the blood out of people.  Those are usually fairy tales and not actual testomonies of credible people.  I only know what the supernatural has done in recorded history and what it has NOT done.  If you read the works of Aristotle, Archimedes, Copernikus and DaVinci, do you see anything even remotely supernatural?  No because these people had better things to research than claims of the supernatural lacking credibility.

Nice try, but Captain Spauldings is a fictional character.

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2006, 11:12:28 PM »

Amanda,your a genius.I bow to your simplistic on target logic.THANKYOU. WW-YOU GOT SPANKED!!

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Mistakes Horror movies make « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.